Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Dana 30/AMC20 vs Chevy 10 Bolts

NightStalker
Limited Member

Ok, so it is my understanding that I am allowed one newb question a week and here it is. 

I currently have a Dana 30 front and an AMC 20 rear in my 77 CJ7, and wish to beef up the driveline a little.  I was given a matching set of Chevy 10 bolt axles out of an older Chevy ½ ton that had a 6.2 diesel as a power plant.  Of course the Chevy axles are wider than the ones on my CJ7, so I will be out a little money to have them cut down to fit.

My question is this. Would swapping to the Chevy axles gain me anything, or are they not any stronger than what I have?  I would love to find some 14 bolt axles or some Dana 60s, but I am on a budget and cannot find anything within the same.

So fire away, tell me your thoughts on this matter.

July 28, 2009 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

I don't know about the Dana's, but I do know that the Chevy 10 bolt with the 8.2 ring gear is not as strong as the one with the 8.5 ring gear.  So if you do swap in the 10 bolts, make sure they have the 8.5

--

"Its life or death now. Make your choice.  Who's side are you on?"

July 28, 2009 at 9:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

and I might add, I think the 10 bolts would in fact be stronger than the Dana's now that I think about it.  In the hot rod world, I know guys that have run 400 horse small blocks through 8.5 10 bolts with detroit lockers or even spools.

--

"Its life or death now. Make your choice.  Who's side are you on?"

July 28, 2009 at 9:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

muddyredneck
Limited Member

id say they are the weakst 1/2 ton axle out there but they are a 1/2 ton axle so they  are stronger than ur stock ones

July 28, 2009 at 10:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

More info please.....what motor you running, you gonna lock both axles,  what is yoiur driving style, what size tire you running?  Dana 30's are pretty tough, I've seen them hold up to 36's w/ some pretty good abuse.  But I've seen em break too.  Is your d30 disc braked?  If you narrow the axles you will have to narrow and respline the shafts, probally a lot of money for relatively small upgrade.  I think you would need new wheels also as the bolt pattern is different.  I've wheeled w/ a dude w/ an amc 20 w/ 1 piece axle shafts and 35" boggers and he didn't break any thing and trust me, he sure tried!.  Answers to the questions will help narrow it down.  just my .02

--

1990 YJ......... almost stock

July 28, 2009 at 10:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NightStalker
Limited Member

I have an AMC 304 and a TH400 transmission with a quadrajunk t-case, which is why I need different axles, as I plan to replace the t-case with something part-time.  I have 33s on it now, but have a new set on 35s waiting to go on.  I will most likely weld the rear and leave the front open until I can afford a locker.  This will be my part-time driver on the street and will make a few trips offroad until I can finish my 79 cherokee buggy project.

As for my driving style, I try to remember to go as slow as possible, and only as fst as needed.  But, I do have memory loss from time to time.

I am getting ready to put on my lift kit and would like to do eveything an once.  So I am trying to decide if I wnat the axles or if I should pass.

Thanks

July 28, 2009 at 11:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

What does it cost to have a set of axles narrowed?  I think i was wrong about the wheels too, I forgot the cj's are different pattern than the wranglers.  

--

1990 YJ......... almost stock

July 29, 2009 at 10:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NightStalker
Limited Member

Well, here's the deal.  I have gone back to plan A, and I'm going to pass on the 10 Bolts and rob the Dana 44s off of my Cherokee to put on the CJ.

Thank for the input, after hearing from a friend that having custom cut ax;es on a rig and the chance of breaking one and then having to have another cut turned me off to the idea.

Besides, why waste a perfectly good set of 44s.

July 29, 2009 at 11:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Sunday, Apr 20 All Day
Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5