Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > 1977 CJ7 Slow Build

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Well, I got some of them to work?  When you want to post a link just click the link icon in the tool bar and enter the url that you want, similar to how you would post a photo.

August 13, 2009 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NightStalker
Limited Member

Day 8

Well today was a day of reckoning.  I gave up on trying to find aCJ7 tub a while back, because after searching all the Southern States and finding only one that was worth building and most that were in as bad of shape as mine.  So today we reckoned.  We reckoned we could put a newer tub on an old cowl and dash.  Shoot with a chop saw, a cutting torch, and a wire feed welder, we reckon we could make whatever we want fit.

So off we go to Harrison AR to Harrison Auto Salvage, http://www.harrisonautosalvage.com, and picked up this little jewel.  A 1997 Wrangler tub with minor damage, and NO RUST.  For only $321.75

The guys down there are great to deal with, and were very helpful in finding the tub and even loading it.  In case you ever wondered or if anyone ever asks you.  "Yes, a Wrangler tub will fit into the back of a short bed Chevy pickup. 

I also got my rock fenders back from the tubing guy today, so we'll start grinding and sandblasting them this weekend or early next week.

After sitting and looking at my old rusty tub yesterday, I was feeling a little down about this project, but after today's find, I have new steam and can't wait to start cutting.

God bless, and thanks for reading.

--

1977 CJ7 Project Underway

August 14, 2009 at 8:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NightStalker
Limited Member

Day 9

Over the weekend Auga and I went out to Bob's to unload the TJ tub, and to do a litlte housekeeping.  The tub had about a 5 gal bucket of dirt and rocks in it from sitting in the salvage yard.  It also had about 50 nuts, bolts and washers in it, so we put those in a box in case we need to use them later.

Bob doesn't have one of those fancy forklifts, so we had to use the old John Deere to unload.  I usually stand way clear of that thing when he is running it, as he is the poster child for farm accidents.  Not to mention he has smashed me before, so I hook the chains and get out of the way.

As mentioned before, I got my fenders back from the tubing guy last week, and finally had a chance to work on them.  His welding is not what I would say is pretty, so about an hour of grinding went into these.  Once I sandblast them, I will lay a strip of fiberglass on the edges to smooth things out real good.  Since I am not building this rig to wheel hard, I guess the fiberglass will hold up to my mall crawling.

Sorry the images are so bad; I forgot my Nikon today and had to use my Blackberry's camera.  It's not the best, but I didn't buy the phone for the camera.

After hanging the fenders on the CJ to work on them, I noticed I have about 1/3 of the tire tread sticking outside the tubing, which became a deal breaker for me.  I had planned to use the Dana 44s on my FSJ on this build, but here is the problem.  If I cut the 44s down to fit my springs, it will be 2 inches wider than stock.  If I outboard my spring hangers and run the 44s at stock width, they will be 6 inches wider.  One more inch on both sides would put more than 1/2 of my tread outside of the fender, and three inches would put the inside sidewall about even with my outside edge of the fender.

Hmmmm.  What to do?

Since I had the tubing installed. I have seen others run the tubing outside the stock fender about 2-3 inches and then curve back into the bottom, outside of the fender.  I almost wished I had seen these fenders before hand, but, I think it saved me a whole lot of work.  So, now I guess I will stay with my stock axles until I can find something else.

Tomorrow we'll be sandblasting the fenders, inside and out and getting them ready for some sheet metal work to close up those holes.

Thanks for reading,

God bless.

--

August 17, 2009 at 8:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

collinsbronco
Limited Member

What Nikon camera do you use?

Thanks,

Justin

--

2000 XJ Sport, 4 1/2 lift,Dana 30, 8.25 rear, NP231,STANO front bumper, rear bumper in progress, TJ Moab wheels, ZJ V8 steering. In the process of front hoop, tires, fender trimming.

WANTED

**ZJ rear gas tank skid, KJ Liberty rear disc brakes**

August 18, 2009 at 10:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NightStalker
Limited Member

collinsbronco at 10:42PM on Aug 18, 2009

What Nikon camera do you use?

Thanks,

Justin

A Nikon D200

--

August 19, 2009 at 8:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

collinsbronco
Limited Member

I have its baby brother, the D50. We need to start a new thread about cameras!!!!

Justin

--

2000 XJ Sport, 4 1/2 lift,Dana 30, 8.25 rear, NP231,STANO front bumper, rear bumper in progress, TJ Moab wheels, ZJ V8 steering. In the process of front hoop, tires, fender trimming.

WANTED

**ZJ rear gas tank skid, KJ Liberty rear disc brakes**

August 19, 2009 at 12:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NightStalker
Limited Member

The D60 is a great body, and very affordable too.  Is the 5mp or 12mp?

--

August 19, 2009 at 8:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NightStalker
Limited Member

Ok, so its been a day or two since I have posted on the CJ Build thread, and I wanted to let you know, I have not stopped, I just have not made much progress.  I have been thinking about paint though.  I am no master painter, I promise you.  My father-in-law on the other hand has forgeten much more then I will ever know, and I rely on his talents much more then I should.  He says its good for me to be there helping him, and I know for a fact it is much gooder for him to have all the things I need, and teh skills to help me.

Many years ago at a car show AI saw an old hotrod with a nice white finsh on it, nothing fancy at first glance.  As I walked by and started to look away, something caught my eye.  It was invisable flames on the hood and fenders.  Chost Flames as he told me when I asked.  I asked him how he did it and like most carshow guys, he siad with years of practice.  I left it at that.  Until this past week.

I have found there are many ways of putting ghost images on a painted surface, and I though t I would share with you, what I have come up with, and what I plan to do on my CJ to my it mine.

We all know that I have chosen General Lee Orange for my base coat, and below is a sample of what I am thining about putting on the side of my CJ.

Look closely and you might notice a very slight difference in the colors.  This is a dipiction of a play on the flag raising at Iwagima.  But, the guys are raising a cross instead of a flag.  My thoughts are I can put several images depicting my faith in Christ all over my jeep in ghost images by having another quart of General Lee Orange mixed with a little more red, twice as much metalic flake, and a slight bit of pearl mixed in to give it just a hint of a different color.  Now my image above was done in photoshop and is very crude, the colors are not even close to what I am using, but it gives you the idea I am going for.

Offer all the input you like on this, as I have plenty of time to change my mind and do things differently.

Below are some images on the grill, which is now in orange, one of my fenders that has way more mud in it than I thought it would take, and a not so clean look at my rosk tubing, and how I paln to blend it into the flat steal, for a clean Mall Crawler look.

I'm not even close to a beginer bodyman so don't be too hard on me.  LOL

Thanks for reading,

God Bless

--

August 28, 2009 at 8:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Nice job Jason!  I really like the ghost paint idea.

August 28, 2009 at 8:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NightStalker
Limited Member

Well I guess its time to bring this one back up to the top and bring ya'll up to date on where we're at with the CJ flatty fenders.  I feel like I have been workin gon these two things forever, but, they are getting closer to being ready to paint.  In between sanding coats of primer I have been helping Bob with his Colorado project and the good word on it is it was delivered to it's owner tonight.  What Bob says should have taken him a few weeks, turned into a two month job, and I am sorry I forgot to take my camera today, so I did not get any pitures of it.  We will have it back in a day or few to take to the HP for an inspection, so I'll try to remember to get some shots then.  It turned out looking very nice, and the owner was very pleased.

Here are a few shots of my flattys that I shot yesterday before spreading a thin coat of spot putty to fill up any pin holes.  Once applied, I used 320 wet/dry sand paper and water sanded for hours to get that smooth ready to pait finish.  Once I got them ready for paint, I decided to go ahead and put one more coat of sufacer/prime on them tonight before coming home.  I'll use 600 wet/dry sand paper and water sand them again tomorrow or maybe Monday and have them in color some time next week.

I was showing a friend these pictures this morning and was asked why I was not working on the lift kit and other stuff on the underside on the CJ while waiting for this stuff to dry.  My answer is simple, if you try to work on stuff that is greasy  and do bodywork at the same time, the paint does not stick where your fingerprints are.  So we'll get to that much later down the road.

Just for kick and grins, here is a before image so we don't have to go back to the toop of this tread to see where we started, and how far we have come since then.

While I was down at the paint stor the other day picking up some stuff for Bob, I noticed they carry a Hippo brand of bed liner.  Much like Rhino liner, and I was wondering if anyone had ever used this, or knew of anyone that had.  I've not read any reviews on it and am looking for input.

Anyhow, thanks for reading.

God Bless.

--

September 10, 2009 at 10:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NightStalker
Limited Member

Well, I have stopped listing the day count as you can see, as I have decided this is gonna take much longer than I thought.  I'm guessing that is why the thread is call, "Slow Build".

The last few days not a whole lot of work has been done on my fenders, although I did pick up the Hippo Liner, and it is tintable, so I can color match my lined area to the rest of the jeep.  I also got the first coat of orange on the top and face of the fenders.  I didn't shoot the inner or inside fender areas as I plan to use the Hippo liner there for a tough finsh.  (I'll shoot some pictures of it next week)

Bob and I spent today going to the Highway Patrol in South East MO for the inspection since the truck he finshed has a Salvage Title.  Everything went well and the new owner is headed to Jefferson City tomorrow to get the title work done so he can get his tags and start driving it.

As promised, here are a few shots of that finshed project.

Here's a look back to where this project started.

Next on our plate is a BMW Z3 that has the clear coat peelin goff everywhere.  I can't wait to get started with all that sanding to get it preped for paint.

Thanks for reading,

God Bless...

--

September 17, 2009 at 9:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

Lookin' good man!  I miss doing body and paint work for fun.  I hated doing it everyday at a body shop.  That's why I got out of it.... so it would be fun again!  :wink:

Maybe one day I'll get around to striping my Toyota down, straightening it up and putting a fresh coat of flat paint on it.

--

"Its life or death now. Make your choice.  Who's side are you on?"

September 18, 2009 at 9:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday, Apr 20 All Day