Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Lock Right locker?

arveetek

I have access to a Richmond Lock Right locker.....nearly free!  It's just missing the main pins and springs.  I'm thinking of installing this in the front Dana 30 on my TJ.  I'm concerned about the handling characteristics this "lunchbox" locker would have on a daily driver vehicle.

If I didn't have such a tight budget, I would go with a selectable locker like the OX locker.  However, it's hard to pass up a deal like this.

Any thoughts or opinions on this style of auto locker?

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

August 8, 2009 at 1:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

collinsbronco
Limited Member

I have been running Lock-Rites in both axles on my Bronco for some while now. I dont see any problems in the front end, unless my hubs are locked in. Then it is just a little harder to turn. Does your axle have lock out hubs?

--

2000 XJ Sport, 4 1/2 lift,Dana 30, 8.25 rear, NP231,STANO front bumper, rear bumper in progress, TJ Moab wheels, ZJ V8 steering. In the process of front hoop, tires, fender trimming.

WANTED

**ZJ rear gas tank skid, KJ Liberty rear disc brakes**

August 8, 2009 at 4:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Get it that's what I ran in my TJ 30.   Mayo has it in his cherokee now.  You won't even know it's there.   I am actually installing one in my new 60 that's how much I like em.

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

August 8, 2009 at 6:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mayonnaise
Limited Member

I agree with Justin, Get it! The only time I ever notice it is when I have the wheel fully cranked, otherwise I don't even know its there. It is well worth it and I would do it again.

--

August 8, 2009 at 10:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

Got a lockright in the front of mine.... no complaints.  my truck's tuning is terrible, but I'm prettty sure it's not the locker.

--

"Its life or death now. Make your choice.  Who's side are you on?"

August 9, 2009 at 8:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Cool!

I was a little hesitant that for a daily driver it might make the front end squirrelly going around curves.

The front axle on the TJ is locked in all the time, and the front driveshaft spins all the time as well.  The only thing that happens when you shift from 2WD to 4WD is that it disconnects the front driveshaft from inside the transfer case.

But if you guys with the TJ's and XJ's say it's okay, then that's awesome!

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

August 9, 2009 at 6:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

I've got the locker in hand, and a new spring/pin kit to go with it.  I hope to install it this coming week.  :D

Casey

--

October 3, 2009 at 1:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

That's cool man.  Good luck!  The only thing stopping you from doing a 4 will be ground clearance.  :tongue:

--

"Its life or death now. Make your choice.  Who's side are you on?"

October 3, 2009 at 8:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

I disassembled my differential and took the carrier out, and had the spider gears out before I realized there was a problem with one of the couplers in the locker.  Looks like it had gotten torqued pretty bad and tore the splines up.  I didn't want to install it that way, so I reassembled the carrier and put the axle back together for now.  I'll have to call Richmond Gear on Monday and see if I can order a new coupler.

After having the differential apart once, I ought to be able to get the locker installed pretty quickly next time!

Casey

--

October 11, 2009 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Sunday, Apr 20 All Day
Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5