Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > 4x4 Events > Give me your 2

JeepEng

Ok so I'm tossing around a few things in my head on what the next steps for me to take. Looking to get your opinion on which way to go. My options are as follows : A - Trade my Jeep in on an LJ Rubicon and take on the payment B - Keep my rig and build an overland style trailer to carry my gear C- Leave well enough alone and pack my rig down every trip and tent on the ground Note - if I keep my Jeep it will receive 4.88 gears and Detroit truetrac front and rear , 35" tires and Long arm lift. Ok let's hear what ya got to say !!!

--
December 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

Would you be using a roof rack on the LJ Rubicon?

December 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

If you got the LJ would you still build a trailer eventualy, or would the LJ have enough room that you wouldn't need the triler?  Is your goal to get an LJ eventually anyway?

December 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng
Yes on the roof rack , and yes on the trailer.
December 26, 2013 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng
As far as my goal , I just want a reliable , capable rig to take across the country. And enjoy the outdoors from my rig.
December 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng
I'm leaning toward building up my rig , and doing the trailer with a RTT. I just makes better $ sense.
December 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

Thats a hard call. If you are wanting a long arm kit and 4:88 there is a good chance you will have to do that to the LJ also unless you get fortunate and find one the way you want it. If there were 4 of you that went all the time I would say the LJ for sure. Unless you have the extra money for an LJ I would keep yours, do the things you want to it, and build a trailer. With the hitch I had on my trailer I really didn't mind pulling it at all. Now that I have 4:56 gears in mine I think it will be even better. I was going to get a Smittybilt G.E.A.R. molle pack style overhead console and seatcovers to help with storage in mine also. Might look into those.    

December 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

collinsbronco
Limited Member

Option 4: Build a XJ!!!!

--

2000 XJ Sport, 4 1/2 lift,Dana 30, 8.25 rear, NP231,STANO front bumper, rear bumper in progress, TJ Moab wheels, ZJ V8 steering. In the process of front hoop, tires, fender trimming.

WANTED

**ZJ rear gas tank skid, KJ Liberty rear disc brakes**

December 28, 2013 at 7:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng
Lol !!! I like to start from the FRAME and go from there :)
December 29, 2013 at 12:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng
And I have to go topless !!!!
December 29, 2013 at 12:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Forward

I built a trailer and pull it with my Rubicon TJ. I have not been on an overland trip with i yet as I am not compleatly done with it yet. I have however pulled it to RTO from Louisiana and the 4:10s and 33s were lacking to say the least on the highway. I also plan to go with the 4:88s and 35's.I think it will be about 100RPM's over the stock configuration of 31"s and 4:10s at 1:1.  I love my trailer and can get ore than enough stuff in it without adding a crazy amount of weight. Basically it is a step up from the tent and I can get all my gear in it. I also went witha 3500# axel with brakes and run the same tire and wheel as my TJ so I dont need an extra spare tire. 

December 31, 2013 at 12:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Sell the Jeep and get a K5!  ;)

In all seriousness, the TJ is about useless for overlanding, unless you can get rid of the back seat.  But if you ever plan on taking more than one person with you, you'll probably have to end up with a trailer.

An LJ is a good step up, but hard to come by.  The 4 door JK is a good platform, but the engine is a tad small and underpowered.  Besides, everyone and their brother and second cousin has a JK these days!  ;)

I love my 2 door Tahoe.  Lots of power, plenty of room for the whole family, including cargo.  My wife likes the TJ better, though (she thinks its more fun).  However, I can't remove the top, and she's a little large for some of the trails (the Tahoe, not the wife).

I can't haul squat in my TJ with the back seat in.  Even just a quick trip to Lowe's or someplace like that makes me reconsider driving the Jeep.

I've been on several overland trips now, and I've used the Tahoe for all but one.  The one time I took the TJ, I was wishing I had the Tahoe.  I never wished for the Jeep while in the Tahoe.

These are just my opinions, and it all boils down to what YOU like and what YOU find will work best for YOUR situation.  Every vehicle choice has pros and cons.

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

December 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

Hey forward i think you will be really close on your gear figure. I just put 4:56 in mine and the speedometer was dead on. Got any pics of the trailer you built? I put a 3500# axle in mine as well but i need to put brakes on it later this winter.

December 31, 2013 at 7:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng
Got a lead on 1990 K5 for cheap , if I can get a chance to look it over , I may have an Overland rig and keep the Jeep too. Guess time will tell.
January 5, 2014 at 11:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Forward

STEVEN B at December 31, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Hey forward i think you will be really close on your gear figure. I just put 4:56 in mine and the speedometer was dead on. Got any pics of the trailer you built? I put a 3500# axle in mine as well but i need to put brakes on it later this winter.

I have picks from all stages. I may post a build thread later. I guess you can do that after the fact? I will try to post some tonight.

--
January 7, 2014 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Forward

JeepEng at January 5, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Got a lead on 1990 K5 for cheap , if I can get a chance to look it over , I may have an Overland rig and keep the Jeep too. Guess time will tell.

Best of both worlds. sweet.

--
January 7, 2014 at 4:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Forward at January 7, 2014 at 4:01 PM

JeepEng at January 5, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Best of both worlds. sweet.

Ditto!

Casey

January 7, 2014 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Apr 17 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Sunday, Apr 20 All Day