Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > 4x4 Events > Ozark Overland Rally

Trailfrog
Site Owner

The guy that organizes a lot of the overlanding trips I do is planning a rally. Here are the details so far:

Ozark Overland Rally

Yes, you read the correctly. This is a totally underground, no cost, brilliantly fun event.

And here is how it is going to play out.

- 3 days
- 3-5 checkpoints per day
- ~240 miles
- Everything from mild to wild
- Teams of 2-4 vehicles

Rules:
Mandatory team captain meeting Thursday evening in Morrilton, Arkansas.
Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace principles will be followed, any team found to stray from these for non-emergency purposes will be disqualified.
All State, Local, and Federal laws are to be followed (I.E. No alcohol and operating a motor vehicle, fire bans, highway legal vehicles, etc.)
I will add more as I can think of them... I am the benevolent dictator of this affair after all.

How this will play out:

-You will register for the event with a team of 2-4 vehicles and no more than 4 people total. I know the Ozark National Forest better than most and 4 vehicles is the breaking point for maneuverability.
-Your checkpoints will be outside of the norm - I will give you certain landmarks or scenic marks and the team captain will photograph ALL TEAM VEHICLES in a group with the landmark in the photo. I prefer it be done with a mobile device, such as the Iphone or Android so the photos can be date/time stamped by the operating system. At the end of the event, the team captain will email all the checkpoint vehicle photos to me at [url=mailto:overlandguild@gmail.com]overlandguild@gmail.com[/url]
-In some cases, I may have a Boy Scout writing down teams, times, and all that jazz at certain check points.

-All checkpoints will be in a long/lat format, like this : 35.287106,-93.250977
-Checkpoints will be given to the Team Captain during the Thursday night meeting on paper.
-All checkpoints will be accessible by using legal roadways. These may be County, State, or Forest Service.
-All checkpoints will have been accessed by me, in my Tacoma or 4runner. Most of you will giggle at that statement.

How you will be ranked:
-My current plan is to take the time stamps on your photos from each day. Total the time from 8:00 AM and last photo of the day, combine the three days and have your total time. The team with the closest to my ideal time (I will set it with a group of three vehicles, doing all obstacles, in the most logical order).

In setting the ideal time all speed limits will be obeyed and safety is my #1 concern. The time will be set at a leisurely pace with 3 vehicles in the group.

How to register:

Find a team. MAKE SURE YOU CAN COMMIT YOUR TIME.

Send me the following information:
Team Name (appropriate!)
Names, vehicles, and experience level
Emergency contact for each member of your team.

I will send you a waiver, which must be completed by each person competing.

Prize: I will create a trophy for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

Though the event is free, I will invest alot of my time into making this work. Please honor your commitment, and remember... I like tips.

If anyone is interested in participating let me know and we can put some teams together.

Check out Overland Guild forum HERE to keep updated.

For more information on overlanding check out our Overlanding Page

January 17, 2014 at 10:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

We currently have two teams registered.  Nathan Nelson, Richard Norris, Jeff Cooper and Matt Spiva are on a team, and Rick England, James Crow, Brad Brazell, and myself are on a team.

January 17, 2014 at 10:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Jayston has posted a short video about the Ozark Overland Rally.

--

May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard! And may you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t get you.   - Anonymous

January 17, 2014 at 10:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CUOFFRD
Randy, are you guys planning to camp at Byrd's each night or in the woods?
January 19, 2014 at 9:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng
Nothing set in stone yet Rich , but I'm pretty sure we are camping in different spots each night.
January 19, 2014 at 9:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng
You will waste ALOT of fuel and time going back and forth. I'm not sure that it's even feasible.
January 19, 2014 at 9:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

Question: The rules say no more than 4 people. Is that correct, or just no more than 4 rigs? What I mean is can there be 4 rigs with more than one person along for the ride in each?

--

BONE

2008 JK Wrangler

SkyJacker 4.5" full flex / SkyJacker Adj. Control Arms / Tatton driveshafts / 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials / 15x8 Eagles / Rock Solid Fab front bumper / Smittybilt XRC-8 winch / Hellas / Custom built rear bumper - tire carrier / Aussie Locker

www.project-jk.com

January 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

BONE at January 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Question: The rules say no more than 4 people. Is that correct, or just no more than 4 rigs? What I mean is can there be 4 rigs with more than one person along for the ride in each?

Yes the current rules are at least two vehicles and not more than four people/team including passengers.  As of yesterday the 60 spots are all filled but Jayston is tryng to get a permit from the NFS that would allow more. If you want to be added to the waiting list send an email to overlandguild@gmail.com with WAITING OOR2014 in the subject.

--

May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard! And may you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t get you.   - Anonymous

January 22, 2014 at 7:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

April Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10