Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > 1977 CJ7 Slow Build Part Two

NightStalker
Limited Member

Well, here we go again.  I was running into a little time lag while trying to get to the bottom of my other thread, so under the advise of our Chief I have started a new thread for the Slow Biuld of my CJ, and Bob's next project the 1996 BMW Z3 that had blistered it's clear coat off.

As odd as it may seem, I'm still having the same headache I got during our last outing at SMORR.  I have even gone to the chiroprator and got an adjustment, and this headache is just not giving up.  So I'm gonna make this one a little short and just post a few images.

First we have the grill and my flatty fenders, that it seems like I have been working on them forever.  If you remember, I had my grill ready to clear coat and while water sanding, I got through to the primer, so I had to shot it again.  Which is never a bad thing, since now I have about four coats of color on it under this clear.  I'm not sure why, but the color of this image is off, as the blue in the background should be more dark, but anyways.

In my true fashion, I seem to water sand everything too much, and seem to keep geting runs in my paint, so the fenders go about 3 to 4 coats each time, and I had to resnad them about 5 times and reshoot them.  So by my calculations, given I sanded off a coat or two each time, they have about 10 to 12 coats of color, with Bob spraying the final one.  Followed by one two coats of clear after the color flashed.

Since the color I wanted, Interstate Battery Green was $229.00 a qt, I went with Get 'Em Green, and mixed with with my tintable Hippo liner and this is what we came up with.  First lesson here is, put a light coat of the green on under the liner, and get the line pressure up to 60 psi before starting.  That way you get good spatter, and anything that is not covered by the liner will already be green and not show the primer under it.

As for Bob's project, the Z3 had clear coming off everywhere, and while many will not believe how much work this is.  All the clear, plus some of the color has to come off, so there is considerable sanding here, and then the surfacer/primer goes on, then more sanding.  At least there is only minor body work on this one.

These images where shot last Friday, and whiel we cut 3 rank of firewood yesterday, the Z3 has come a long ways since then.  I'll take my camera with me tomorrow and show you where we are at now.

Thanks for reading,

God Bless

--

1977 CJ7 Project Underway

September 30, 2009 at 10:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NightStalker
Limited Member

Well, the last week has been slow going for the CJ since we have been spending most of our time on the BMW and cutting Bob's winter wood.  We did however make a little two horsepower field trip on Thursday and Friday last week, look for that thread elsewhere.

I spent most of today putting together my new El Cheapo tool box I bought and took to Bob's.  Since I have been taking so many of my tools out there, I figured I would get something to put them in.

We also spent about three hours cleaning up the shop, and blowing out the dust so we can get the Z3 ready for paint.  It should be in color sometime this week, and then comes the task of putting it back together without scratching anything.

I went to a auction over the weekend to try to buy a BBQ pit trailer, which I did not get.  It went for too much, so I came home with a plastic 14 gal gas tank for the hotrod, and ten body mounts for the CJ.

At best guess, I think they will give me about 1 inch body lift.  Too give it a lookover I test fitted one under the grill and hung this fender to see.  The fender is touching the cowl at the top and has about a 1/2 inch gap at the bottom with the stock body mounts, so we'll just have to wait till I get the tub ready to clip to see how it all matches up later.

I think I will pull off the fiberglass windshield next and ease the glass out of it, so I can get it in color.  At this point I cannot decide which color to go with for it.  Green or orange?  What do you think?

Thanks for reading,

God Bless

--

1977 CJ7 Project Underway

October 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

"At this point I cannot decide which color to go with for it. Green or orange? What do you think? "

I vote orange.

October 5, 2009 at 8:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

April Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10