Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Ford 8.8

Allen
Limited Member

I am thinking about doing some axle swapping in my Wrangler. I am considering a ford 8.8 out of a explorer if I can find one. What is your thoughts on this? This I believe would match bolt pattern I have now and is almost the same width as my Dana 35. This is for the rear end. Also any suggestions for a simple/best front axle swap. Thanks for the help!

--

91 YJ, AMC 360, 33"x13.50" Swamper LTBs, QuadraJunk Trans Case, SOA lift, 4.5" lift springs,  4.88 gears, Spartan locker up front, 8.8 with discs in the rear, Rock Solid Fab Rock Rails

-Allen C Wendling

December 10, 2009 at 10:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

I did it on mine and it rocks.  Already disc braked.  wheels match.  and if your jeep was a 4 cyl you can get them already w/ 4;10'S.  Call Mark Adkins he will have what you need.  1 918 422 9948.  ps. the axle shafts are larger than a d60.

--

1990 YJ......... almost stock

December 10, 2009 at 10:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen
Limited Member

I do have the 4.10 gears but I am considering 4.56s but not sure if it nessecary with the V8. So this sounds like it will handle my tires justfine too. Tha ks for the info.

--

91 YJ, AMC 360, 33"x13.50" Swamper LTBs, QuadraJunk Trans Case, SOA lift, 4.5" lift springs,  4.88 gears, Spartan locker up front, 8.8 with discs in the rear, Rock Solid Fab Rock Rails

-Allen C Wendling

December 10, 2009 at 10:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen
Limited Member

Does anyone know if putting the front axle out of a wagoneer would be a good idea axle swap for a YJ?  I found they are an inch wider than YJ axle, but not sure if it is the best solution or a good solution to a stronger front axle than the dana30, but I would also like to get some manual lock outs too and I dont figure they have that since they came with the quadrajunk trans case, but I would think it would handle my V8.

--

-Allen C Wendling

December 15, 2009 at 11:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

leftlanetruckin
Limited Member

For what little you would gain in the 44, I would either build the HP30, or go to a 60. The 8.8 is already narrower tahn the 30, so going to a wider front 44 would start to look and act wierd IMO.

I had a built HP30 on my old YJ (4.3/700r4/4.3 Atlas, 4.88's on 37's) and it handled it fine. I had Alloy USA 30 spline axles, Yukon super joints and 30 spline ARB.

Martin

--

1998 XJ on 37's. JK Rubicon axles, hydro assist. 4:1 transfer case.

December 16, 2009 at 6:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

adkins4x4
Limited Member

The wagoneer dana 44 is a great upgrade for your yj. it gives you real wheel bearings and the lockouts are nice. if you do break an axle you can unlock the hub and keep going. also easy to do hy steer. Unlike the yj axle, if you break it you must fix it or risk trashing balljoints.  then you can get one of the late model passport dana 44s that are the same width and same 6 lug bolt pattern and they have factory disc brakes with 4.30 gears and swap into the rear. Also another piece of trivia you may not be aware of. I am assuming you have the later model quadrajunk t. case that is drivers side front drop. If so take it out and chunk it. The dana 300 is a direct bolt in on your tranny no adapter needed. You will also gain about 6 inches of rear driveline length. Then you just use the 74-79 waggy front (passenger side drop).:)

December 16, 2009 at 6:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

adkins4x4 at 06:55PM on Dec 16, 2009

The wagoneer dana 44 is a great upgrade for your yj. it gives you real wheel bearings and the lockouts are nice. if you do break an axle you can unlock the hub and keep going. also easy to do hy steer. Unlike the yj axle, if you break it you must fix it or risk trashing balljoints.  then you can get one of the late model passport dana 44s that are the same width and same 6 lug bolt pattern and they have factory disc brakes with 4.30 gears and swap into the rear. Also another piece of trivia you may not be aware of. I am assuming you have the later model quadrajunk t. case that is drivers side front drop. If so take it out and chunk it. The dana 300 is a direct bolt in on your tranny no adapter needed. You will also gain about 6 inches of rear driveline length. Then you just use the 74-79 waggy front (passenger side drop).:)

ahhhh, the great sage of all things 4 wheel drive has spoken............:D

--

1990 YJ......... almost stock

December 16, 2009 at 9:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Hey Stan them ball joints on my OLD 30 were the only thing that held up in the massive break that happened almost a year ago now HUH.

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

December 16, 2009 at 10:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen
Limited Member

I do like the idea of being able to go to a dana 300 and twin sticking it. Of course I am still green to all this jeep stuff so I do not know the best trans cases or the cheapiest good routes to go. I am just trying to find easier swaps because I am not sure I could cut axles down to make them work in my width. Could I put wheel spacers in the rear to compensate for axle width problems? Or are spacers a bad idea?

--

-Allen C Wendling

December 16, 2009 at 10:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

I ran Spidertrax wheel spacer when I had a 30 and 44 on my TJ never had a problem.  I always torqued them to spec and used red loc-tite.  My .02 there is nothing wrong with wheel spacers.

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

December 16, 2009 at 11:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen
Limited Member

I officially have the 8.8 Now. 112$ bucks later and I have a disk brake, LSD, 31 spline ford exploder axle. Question is. Is the LSD any good and how low of gears will it hold. I was originally gonna spool it but if LSD is ok would save my $ for other upgrades.

--

-Allen C Wendling

April 7, 2010 at 1:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

April Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10