Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Electric fan?

arveetek

I've been thinking of converting to an electric fan on my 2.5L, to help free up a few more squirrels for highway driving.  How reliable is an electric fan while off road?  I'm thinking mud and water could damage the fan pretty quickly.

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

February 10, 2010 at 2:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

I run an electric fan on a toggle switch for the Yota.  It works great, never had any problems with it.  I just have to remember to turn it on! :wink:

--

"Its life or death now. Make your choice.  Who's side are you on?"

February 10, 2010 at 6:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

collinsbronco
Limited Member

pretty sure I have seen a set up that works off an electric thermostat so you dont have to remember to turn on.  Some people like to leave them running a little after they turn their rig off. They are standard on Cherokee's and have never heard of them failing due to mud/water.

--

2000 XJ Sport, 4 1/2 lift,Dana 30, 8.25 rear, NP231,STANO front bumper, rear bumper in progress, TJ Moab wheels, ZJ V8 steering. In the process of front hoop, tires, fender trimming.

WANTED

**ZJ rear gas tank skid, KJ Liberty rear disc brakes**

February 10, 2010 at 7:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

muddyredneck
Limited Member

i have helped set up a couple with a thermostat and a switch for deep water crossings 90s ford tauras fans move a lot of cfms too

--

servants of the most high ...not rockstars

February 10, 2010 at 9:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Yeah, the Taurus fan and t-stat switch setup was the way I was thinking of going.  I just wasn't sure how reliable they worked once they met mud and water face to face!

Casey

February 10, 2010 at 10:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen
Limited Member

Painless makes a thermostatic relay kit to turn your fan or fans on. I am thinking about running that kit so my fan isn't always on like it is now.

--

91 YJ, AMC 360, 33"x13.50" Swamper LTBs, QuadraJunk Trans Case, SOA lift, 4.5" lift springs,  4.88 gears, Spartan locker up front, 8.8 with discs in the rear, Rock Solid Fab Rock Rails

-Allen C Wendling

February 11, 2010 at 9:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Rubi's run a thermostatically controlled electric fan.  I'd say go for it.  Give the squirrels something else to do.

--

February 12, 2010 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

April Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10