Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > 4 cylinder TJ + big tires + stock gears = no fun!

arveetek

My buddy Larry has 32 x 10.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials on his wife's XJ.  He decided he needed more street-friendly tires on her rig since it rarely goes off road.

I have 31 x 10.50 mud tires that are more street-friendly, and I wanted larger tires for off-roading, and since I don't drive it everyday.

We swapped them around yesterday, and boy, what a difference a tire can make!  I really loved the stance and look, but my teeny weeny 2.5L just didn't like them!  The 32" Swampers are really quite a bit larger than my current 31's, and weigh quite a bit more.  I was surprised at how much power they robbed, and how much harder it was to stop.

I realized that there is no way I can go with larger tires without regearing from my current 4.10's to probably 4.88's.  Even then, I'm not sure the 4 cylinder can handle that much extra weight.  I have a hard time maintaining 60 mph as it is right now.

If I just drove the Jeep off-road, the 4 cylinder is no issue.  But I drive it on the street just as much, if not more, than off-road.  I need it to be able to maintain highway speeds without struggling.

Looks like I'm going to have to stick with my 31's until I can afford a gear swap or engine swap. :(

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

August 7, 2010 at 2:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Adamlee78
Limited Member

arveetek at August 7, 2010 at 2:52 PM

My buddy Larry has 32 x 10.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials on his wife's XJ.  He decided he needed more street-friendly tires on her rig since it rarely goes off road.

I have 31 x 10.50 mud tires that are more street-friendly, and I wanted larger tires for off-roading, and since I don't drive it everyday.

We swapped them around yesterday, and boy, what a difference a tire can make!  I really loved the stance and look, but my teeny weeny 2.5L just didn't like them!  The 32" Swampers are really quite a bit larger than my current 31's, and weigh quite a bit more.  I was surprised at how much power they robbed, and how much harder it was to stop.

I realized that there is no way I can go with larger tires without regearing from my current 4.10's to probably 4.88's.  Even then, I'm not sure the 4 cylinder can handle that much extra weight.  I have a hard time maintaining 60 mph as it is right now.

If I just drove the Jeep off-road, the 4 cylinder is no issue.  But I drive it on the street just as much, if not more, than off-road.  I need it to be able to maintain highway speeds without struggling.

Looks like I'm going to have to stick with my 31's until I can afford a gear swap or engine swap. :(

Casey

I have a tj with the 2.5 hamster. I am running 35"s with 4.56's. Unless yo uplan on going to 34 or bigger, do noot regear to 4.88. Go 4.56's, if you plan on running 34's or larger then 4.88's. of course i am in a lighter tj....:D

August 7, 2010 at 9:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

I think I have another option that makes more sense.  A while back I snatched up some 15x10 beadlock wheels.  I think I will save up enough money to buy some aggressive 33's to mount on those wheels, and then when I go on a serious trail ride, I can swap the off-road wheels and tires on.  When I'm back home, the more street-friendly tires can go back on.  I usually trailer the Jeep to the more serious runs anyway.

It'll just take me a while to save up enough dough for some bigger meats!  :(

I just have to remember what Paul said in Philippians 4:11: "Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am."

That's easier said than done sometimes!!!  :D

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

August 8, 2010 at 4:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday, Apr 20 All Day