Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > For Sale > gonna buy a TJ in next 6 months or so

88 Sami
Limited Member

Hi all -

Well, my son is 14 and wants his first ride to be a jeep. We are looking for an automatic TJ.  Wished I'd have kept Midnight - that '01 TJ some of you may remember us wheelin'...but I didn't...and so that's that. 

Having had all the versions up to now with the JK, I'm pretty firm on him having a TJ - with the safety upgrades and better suspension.  Sure, he'd LIKE to have mom's 4dr jk...but that's AIN'T gonna happen! :)  He'd also LIKE to have Stan's rig...but you can't start out on top of the mountain I tell him...Stan's rig is the greatest, isn't it? :)

Insurance on a kid  (my 16 yr old daughter just started driving - '00 Rav 4) means I gotta stick with a clean titled rig, Momma's gonna want it to be fairly clean and not beat up, Jacob's not yet old enough to fully understand my "Chrome won't get ya Home" motto...so he's gonna want it clean and straight too.  Besides, his dirt bike and my Sami can fullfill wheelin' roles for him.

A 4cyl. auto would actually be preferred - my deal is we buy the insur ance /  and the kids buy the gas....

so he'd like the 4.  Less lawns to mow ...to buy the petrol! lol! 

But a 6 wouldn't be bad.  Nothing lifted too much. He's gonna buy bumpers and a winch, run 33's, and just use it to drive around and maybe pull the jon boat or our little dirt bike trailer for next few years.

We are looking to find a base rig around 5k or less...we see them fully finished the way he'd want for around 7k on ebay -( some are more, but they are dreamin!)  and this would be "fair" as that's what we've spent for our daughter's rig. Those of you with multiple kiddies understand "fair"! haha.

so...if ya got one that fits - send me a holler.  I'll try to be on here more often now that I joined...but my email is also an easy way to get me:   jenorthrop@hotmail.com     We'll probably buy one over the upcoming winter - to have it on hand by spring 2011 at the latest. 

thanks for reading all this!

-john n.

--

lucky to get out / whenever I can / never enough

Romans 8:31 - "If God be for us, who can be against us?"

September 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

John long time no see my man.   I'll keep my eyes peeled for yea and if you need bumpers or anything else custom fabbed for one when you get it give my a shout.   Stan and I were talking about you back in the Spring wondering what was going on.   Good to see your still around and you need to go wheeling with us again sometime.

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

September 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Keep your eyes on Craigslist.  There are a lot of Jeeps for sale on there.

Personally, I would recommend a 6 cylinder.  I've had two of the 2.5L 4 cylinders (one in my current rig), and I still wish I had held out for the 4.0L.  The gas mileage is not that much different, but the ability to drive at highway speeds regardless of the hill or wind is a nice thing!  If the TJ is left completely stock, it'll probably be OK, but if larger tires or a lift are ever in the future, a 4 cylinder will be disappointing.  They are just not enough motor to be pushing these bricks around.

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

September 21, 2010 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

88 Sami
Limited Member

Thanks, Justin -  I remember when you got that first bender...man, now you got your own gig - that's cool!  I've often considered dropping the b- pillar and adding a full cage...but still being able to run a factory top....  I guess I may do it someday...and if I do...you da man! :)

Casey - now you know I'm running a screaming 1.3L in my stompin' rig, right? lol!

60 screaming horses, by golly!  haha.

Well, 4 or 6 is fine...but you are right, of course....and the 6's are so much more prevelant with the auto tranny.  

I can't decide if I'm really hoping to find a base rig for 5 or buy one done for 7ish...we'll see as time goes by. 

--

September 21, 2010 at 9:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

88 Sami at September 21, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Thanks, Justin -  I remember when you got that first bender...man, now you got your own gig - that's cool!  I've often considered dropping the b- pillar and adding a full cage...but still being able to run a factory top....  I guess I may do it someday...and if I do...you da man! :)

Casey - now you know I'm running a screaming 1.3L in my stompin' rig, right? lol!

60 screaming horses, by golly!  haha.

Well, 4 or 6 is fine...but you are right, of course....and the 6's are so much more prevelant with the auto tranny.  

I can't decide if I'm really hoping to find a base rig for 5 or buy one done for 7ish...we'll see as time goes by. 

I'm assuming you don't try to drive down the interstate with that 1.3L, though, now do you??  :D

My 2.5L is just great when off-road....I can't complain one bit there.  It's just when you try to combine a trail rig and a street rig, you begin to notice the limitations of the 4 popper real fast.  Since my TJ is not my daily driver, I guess it's not a big deal.  But for a daily driver that might one day have larger tires and a lift, I'd definitely steer towards the 6 cylinder.  On a windy day, I can barely maintain 60 mph with my stock 4.10 gears and 31" tires.

My DD is a diesel, so maybe I'm just expecting too much!  :D

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

September 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lefty
Limited Member

I really liked my TJ is was my daily driver.  6 cylinder, 5 speed stick.  3.73 gears on 31" .  It took a little bit of foot work on some trails. 

September 22, 2010 at 10:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

88 Sami
Limited Member

ok...well, I am ALWAYS amazed at how easy stuff works when you give it God and then just let go!  (the letting go I have found to be the hardest, but most important, part!)

So we found this perfect jeep - all done - in the dallas area a few weeks back.  Jacob was crazy for it.  I wanted to spend 5k for a "base unit" becuase I knew it would cost me a couple to make it the way he wanted. (lift/wheels/tires, etc)

I told Jacob to just give it to God, let it go, and keep your eyes open for everything else.  Just relax and trust...etc...  "but dad, this is EXACTLY what I wanted, he says...it's all done, can't we just pay more?"

Nope - 2 reasons I said.  1. We are trusting God to work something for us...if this isn't the best thing...then he has something even BETTER for you.

2. We spent X on your sisters vehicle....it's not fair to spend more on yours.

TODAY, the owner gets back to me - meets my price (7k) and Jacob will be really thrilled.  I just can't wait for his excitement to wear off (should take a few hours) to sit him down and talk this out - that this illustrates how God cares for us in all  things....and if it's meant to be, he'll Bless it, but don't force something and says it's "God's will", etc....  

God is so good - I really get choked up and my eyes are watering as I type this! - Sure the jeep is great and he'll love it...but the biblical lesson learned...priceless!  :)

oh, by the way, this may mean I am not at Cass tommorrow, we will see how this comes about.

--

September 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

88 Sami
Limited Member

here's a pic of what God did!  ain't it awesome!

well, tried pic and img copy from photobucket...gotta read some, but I see where I only have a few mins...

sorry - will try to figure this out.

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/fsmh3/1997TJ4cy7900.jpg[/IMG]

--

September 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

88 Sami
Limited Member

ok. I will try this:

dallas jeep!

Success!  lol! :)  ok...we are headed off to get it soon here.  Sorry for missing Cass today, but we gotta go pick up the "manna from Heaven" that God provided! lol.

--

September 25, 2010 at 10:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Apr 17 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM