Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Ministry Events > Axle broke

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Well I did break the rear driver axle shaft Saturday!  No wonder I didn't have any traction!  Anyone know of a Rubi Dana 44 axle assembly for sale that has the e-locker?  Wish I could upgrade.

November 30, 2010 at 2:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen
Limited Member

Ouch sounds painful.  What type of axle do the unlimited come with from the factory? 

--

91 YJ, AMC 360, 33"x13.50" Swamper LTBs, QuadraJunk Trans Case, SOA lift, 4.5" lift springs,  4.88 gears, Spartan locker up front, 8.8 with discs in the rear, Rock Solid Fab Rock Rails

-Allen C Wendling

November 30, 2010 at 3:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Is the locker in your axle okay?  I'm assuming that's how you made it home, by leaving the locker engaged?  Or did you drive home in 4WD?

Sorry to hear of your breakage.  You did bounce off that hill pretty hard.  I thought I heard something snap when you hit the ground.

November 30, 2010 at 10:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

No, the locker was not engaged, or at least the switch was not on.  The axle shaft broke about 3/4 " from the end.  The locker seems to be in good shape but needs to have a small part replaced that is cracked but not broke yet.  I didn't drive in 4WD either because of the front U-joint was going out so I was in one wheel drive all the way home!  It was almost like driving on ice yesterday when it was raining!

November 30, 2010 at 10:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Hmmmm....how did power get transferred to the good axle and wheel then?  Is your locker also a limited slip?  I would think that if one axle shaft broke, power would get routed to the side with the least resistance, therefore causing no power to get to the good wheel....??

November 30, 2010 at 10:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

The locker is a limited slip when off, your right.

November 30, 2010 at 10:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Well I picked up the Rubicon Dana 44 with chromolly shafts, and 5.13 gears yesterday and with the help of Rick and Matt (and our new club shop!) we got the old axle assembly out tonight. Hope to get the new one in tomorrow night. Then to the shop to install the front gears on Tuesday hopefully.

December 5, 2010 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen
Limited Member

What is your front axle?  Dana 30?  The only reason I ask is because when I was looking for gears for my 30 it seemed that the lowest gear made was a 4.88.  I dont remember seeing anything lower, but i was pretty set on 4.88s when I picked my gears so I didnt look that hard.

--

91 YJ, AMC 360, 33"x13.50" Swamper LTBs, QuadraJunk Trans Case, SOA lift, 4.5" lift springs,  4.88 gears, Spartan locker up front, 8.8 with discs in the rear, Rock Solid Fab Rock Rails

-Allen C Wendling

December 6, 2010 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Jk's have a different Dana 30 then all the others made before.   They do have 5.13 gears for them but not for other d-30's.

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

December 6, 2010 at 3:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen
Limited Member

Oh gotcha.  I bet that is a tiny pinion gear.  :)  I know my 4.88s seemed tiny on the d30 side not sure if that has anything to do with the high pinion reverse cut or not.  I am still learning all about this gearing thing.  I evidently did something accidently right because they havent seized or shelled out yet, but tomorrow has yet to come. 

--

-Allen C Wendling

December 6, 2010 at 8:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Well, thanks to Rick, Matt, Shane, and Scott for all the help in doing the axle swap!  Got it finished tonight and dropped it by the shop to get the front axle regeared tomorrow hopefully.

December 7, 2010 at 12:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

I bet you could tell huge difference with those 5.13's, even just driving just a short distance, eh?

December 7, 2010 at 9:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Picked my jeep up tonight! Wow! I'm glad I went ahead with the lower gears.  Still have to connect the e-locker to my existing switch and replace front u-joints.

December 7, 2010 at 9:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chancho
Limited Member

I've always heard that regearing is hard on the wallet.  I have also heard that it's not a DIY job either. 

December 7, 2010 at 9:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Green Hornet

It always depends on who is doing it themselves!  Wow, didn't realize it was that intense Randy.  Glad to hear you got some new gears.  That pinion gear has to be tiny, my 4.88 is small enough.  You'll have a hard time breaking the cromoly shafts now.  At least you didn't bust a tire. :lol:

--

Green Hornet

December 11, 2010 at 1:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10