Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Re-gear question

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Can you run a different ring and pinion in the front axle as long as you don't engage the front axle?  The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about swapping in a Rubicon Dana 44 in the rear that has 5.13 gears.  I think I could swap the axle assembly myself but I can't do the gear install in my front axle so could I swap out the rear axle then drive it to the mechanic to swap out my front ring and pinion?  Just trying to save some labor cost.

November 30, 2010 at 8:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

pretty sure you can't do that.  You may just pull the front driveshaft and get away with it but still not sure on that.

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

November 30, 2010 at 9:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Like Justin said, if you pull the front driveshaft, you'll be fine to do as you want.  You could leave the front driveshaft in, but if you accidentally engage 4WD, bad things will happen, and you'll have more to fix!  It's not worth trying.

5.13 gears sound pretty low.  Are you sure you want to go that low?  Highway cruising will suffer, but off-road capabilities will increase.

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

November 30, 2010 at 10:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

I don't really want to go that low, but it would be better than the 3.73's I have now with these 35" tires wouldn't it? 

November 30, 2010 at 10:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Well, after doing a quick search, it seems that 5.13's are quite recommended for the JK's and 35" tires, since they use the 3.8L V-6 that needs to rev higher to get into the powerband.  This might actually be a good fit...

I'm used to dealing with the in-line 4 and 6 cylinder engines that don't need to rev so high to find the power.

November 30, 2010 at 10:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

I am researching my upgrades; and what I have learned is that with 35" tires, a 4.88 gear works for a manual; 5.13 for the auto transmission for the JKs

November 30, 2010 at 11:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Decipticon

i did have 4.10 with 35 tires but everytime i came to a incline my jeep would dog out and my rpms would always jump, but since i put 5.13 with 35s i do not have that problem now

December 1, 2010 at 7:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

As I am planning to re-gear as well, I've spent a lot of time on the forums and websites and I've settled on 5.13's, even going to 37's, according to the gearing charts.  The only negative I've heard has something to do with the smaller pinion head of the 5.13's being subject to breakage, but I don't know if that has to do with the higher rpm's with highway driving or the excess torque crawling.

--

December 1, 2010 at 10:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen
Limited Member

If you do not put it in 4x4 it will not matter what gears are where, but if you lock in the 4x4 it will bind up the transcase and cause some damage, but to drive it around highway 2wd until you can get it to the shop it will be just fine.  If you wanted to be on the safe side you you didnt accidently engage 4x4 you could pull the front drive line, but I probably would be to lazy to do so.

--

91 YJ, AMC 360, 33"x13.50" Swamper LTBs, QuadraJunk Trans Case, SOA lift, 4.5" lift springs,  4.88 gears, Spartan locker up front, 8.8 with discs in the rear, Rock Solid Fab Rock Rails

-Allen C Wendling

December 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

April Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10