Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > 2 door Tahoe (Blazer) build up??

arveetek

Okay, you guys might think I'm nuts, but I've been thinking about selling my Jeep to fund a build up of my Tahoe (full size Blazer).

Here's what I currently have:

The Tahoe is mostly stock right now, with old school aftermarket wheels.  I absolutely LOVE my Tahoe!  It's been one of my most favorite vehicles I've ever owned.

I LIKE the Jeep.  It's fun, but it's underpowered, and is ready for the next stage.  However, I have no funds for the next stage, so it's pretty much going to remain like it is for some time. 

I also want to mod the Tahoe, and get away from the stock appearance.

I'd like to end up with something like this:

Or this:

Or even just this:

I've found some cool mods like this winch bumper:

And this tire carrier:

Selling the Jeep would allow me to fund this kind of project.

Now, here's the real question: could I still have some fun off-road with this kind of vehicle in the area where we live?  Will it hold up?  Will I break something every time I go out?  I only get to go wheeling 3 or 4 times a year as it is anyway....  I know I wouldn't be able to do some of the hard stuff that I can now, even with the small Jeep.  It does pretty good for what it is.

I don't know, am I nuts???  :D  Maybe I just need to "learn to be content in whatever state I am."  I'm pretty blessed to have both vehicles as it is...

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

December 2, 2010 at 11:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Wow!  I like wheeling my daily driver for the most part (except when it breaks :mad:)  I like the look of the built Tahoe's and you could pull your camper when you wheel for the weekend, but you wouldn't have a JEEP :(

December 2, 2010 at 11:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Discombobulated

does the Tahoe have a solid axle or is it IFS?  The IFS will be the weakest link on a heavy rig like that. 

BUT if you LOVE the Tahoe and only LIKE the jeep you may have answered your own question.  Does the family (assuming you are married) ever come with you?  Do they enjoy the time in the jeep?

If you are looking to increase your family value project then the Tahoe might be the better bet. 

My family looks at the JEEP and offroading as a group activity and my wife hates when she can not make the events with me.  My daughter has turned into a junkie and cant wait for the next run.  When you factor that with my love for my jeep and the offroading, we will keep doing it for a long time. 

not to sound "mushy" but follow your heart and talk it through with the family and you will make the right decision.

--
A lift, wheels, tires and stuff
December 3, 2010 at 6:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Yeah, unfortunately the Tahoe is IFS.

Funny thing is, my wife likes the Jeep better than the Tahoe! :roll:  She might not like this whole idea I have at all!!! :D

Getting to tow my camper to the weekend events would be awesome, but then I'd probably have to ride with someone when we do the really tough stuff....

Hmmmmm.....

December 3, 2010 at 8:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

arjeepin
Limited Member

my 2 cents.... it all really depends on if you could live with denting the Tahoe... cause if you take it in the woods around here.... (easy or hard trails) the tight turns around trees is not gonna be nice to the blazer.... I have never seen a fullsize truck on a trail that hasn't come back with a little.....shall we say,;  tree love.

--

1990 YJ........arjeepin on rockwells

December 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arjeepin
Limited Member

P.S. I really love the look of the red blazer.:D I say that would be awesome..

--

December 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

I thought of something today that hadn't occurred to me before....

If I were to sell the Jeep, and sink that money into the Tahoe, I would lose some of the liquidity of my assets!!

In other words, If we were to fall on some seriously hard times (i.e., lose my job), I currently have the option of selling the Jeep and recovering some cash.  I would be able to keep the Tahoe and my wife's van.  However, if I have already sold the Jeep and spent the cash on the Tahoe, I would be in trouble if I needed the cash.

I also think that tearing up the Tahoe in the woods would make me cringe.  It's just too prone to body damage, being so large.

I believe the sensible thing is to hang onto both vehicles, and mod both of them as funds allow.  Then, one of these days, I can have both modifed 4x4's!  :D

I find it hard to be content sometimes...ya know?  I really need to work on that....

Now, the question becomes: which to mod first: The Jeep or The Tahoe?

The next step for the Jeep is a repower; the little 4 cylinder is great off-road, but just doesn't cut it on the highway.  If things go as planned, I should have a 6.5L diesel sitting in my garage that needs a new home!  :D  But, then I'll want a 700R4 to go behind that, stronger axles, bigger tires.....

Hmmm....  Maybe I should leave it alone and play around with my daily driver?

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

December 6, 2010 at 9:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arjeepin
Limited Member

I have heard, but am not for sure, that a 5.9L Cummins will bolt right to the AX5 transmission.... that is behind your 4cyl.

--

December 7, 2010 at 7:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

arjeepin at December 7, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I have heard, but am not for sure, that a 5.9L Cummins will bolt right to the AX5 transmission.... that is behind your 4cyl.

:D  I'm not sure of that, but I do know that a 5.9L six cylinder (6BT) Cummins would tear the puny AX5 apart in no time!!  Now, the 4 cylinder version, the 3.9L (4BT) might be a better fit, but I still doubt that the AX5 could handle that much abuse.

The only reason I would go with the 6.5L is that I've been working on them since I was 19, they are cheap, and have Chevy bellhousings so they are an easy swap.  I can have a running 6.5L for nearly nothing, once I buy the truck and sell the rest of the parts off of it I don't need.  The Cummins 4Bt would be a better fit for this Jeep, but much more expensive and out of my budget.

Casey

December 7, 2010 at 9:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Well, my wife about flipped out when I suggested selling the Jeep to fund a Tahoe build! 8)  She likes the Jeep!  In fact, she said to sell the Tahoe and build the Jeep!! :D  I don't want to do that.

I'll just have to be patient and save some cash as we go, and work on both.  Having a single income, with a wife and two kids at home, makes it hard to have much spending money though!  :P

Here's an idea of where I want to head with the Jeep:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/readers/fleming.htm

Casey

--

December 11, 2010 at 2:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

I keep dreaming of building my Tahoe into an expedition rig.

Found some more cool pictures on the 'net of what I'd like to end up with some day:

I'm torn between two loves: wheelin' and overlanding....and I don't have much spare cash for either hobby!!  :D

--

January 30, 2012 at 8:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

arveetek at January 30, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I keep dreaming of building my Tahoe into an expedition rig.

Found some more cool pictures on the 'net of what I'd like to end up with some day:

I'm torn between two loves: wheelin' and overlanding....and I don't have much spare cash for either hobby!!  :D

Where's the pictures?

January 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Are the pictures not showing up for you Randy?

I can see them....red and black Tahoe.

Casey

January 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Apr 17 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM