Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Other > NEED HELP!

Nathan Gustafson
Limited Member

Hey guys, are there any engine guru's out there that can give me a hand? My truck was making a ticking noise, and I originally thought it was a lifter, but i decided to tighten up my exhaust and see if that was it instead. Now the ticking is done but now it makes a popping noise, cant tell what it is and I really need some help. Only thing I messed with tightening my exhaust were plug wires to get better access to header bolts. Im over at JBU if anyone can stop by sometime i would surely appreciate it

December 11, 2010 at 3:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chancho
Limited Member

Did you tighten the exhaust manifold?  Were any of the bolts loose?  The popping noise could possibly be an exhaust leak in your manifold or somewhere in that vicinity.  Maybe a crack in the exhaust manifold itself?  What kind of rig are you running?

December 11, 2010 at 11:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nathan Gustafson
Limited Member

its a 347 stroker in a 1995 ford f150. its got the stock heads and a set of hooker competition headers. i tightened all the bolts, but this noise started new after i did that... 

December 11, 2010 at 6:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nathan Gustafson
Limited Member

its at the shop... plug and wire didnt fix it. im praying its not a burned valve

December 13, 2010 at 11:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chancho
Limited Member

I wish I knew more about that particular engine.  I'm just not familiar enough to give you any advice.  I hope it's an easy fix for you.

December 14, 2010 at 12:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nathan Gustafson
Limited Member

turns out it was the push rods...i busted 3, bent 3 or 4... thats just the pass side

December 14, 2010 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Wow!  How did you do that?

December 14, 2010 at 7:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chancho
Limited Member

Ouch!!

December 14, 2010 at 8:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nathan Gustafson
Limited Member

ok so its a grand total of 13 out of 16 pushrods broken. gotta love chincy parts and engine builders who want to cut corners

December 16, 2010 at 2:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

thats a bummer, pushrods is no place to cut corners.

are you running guide plates?

if so he may not have used hardened pushrods

December 16, 2010 at 9:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nathan Gustafson
Limited Member

nah, no guideplates. im looking to switch to an adjustable rocker setup so i will probably put guideplates in then

December 22, 2010 at 6:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

April Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10