Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Need a New Windshield

Chancho
Limited Member

Good Morning All,

My rig came with a badly cracked windshield.  I was wondering if anyone might steer me towards a good piece of glass in our neck of the woods.  I was also wondering if anyone might be able to help me install it?  I want to learn how to do everything myself when it comes to fixing my rig but I will definitely need someone to show me the ropes on the windshield replacement.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

James

December 13, 2010 at 9:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nathan Gustafson
Limited Member

good luck finding a windshield for a wrangler. my brother and i searched junkyards for a couple weeks and only found 1 burned out wrangler that didnt have any glass. it was about $225 for a guy to come to our house to change it. only place i can think of thats got a really good chance of having it is LKQ in tulsa. they seem to be the biggest within a couple hours

December 13, 2010 at 6:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chancho
Limited Member

I was hoping to install it at one of our shop sessions.  I don't mind buying new glass.  It would take forever to find a good one at a junk yard.

December 13, 2010 at 6:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Try these guys, they were one of our Premire Sponsors at Crawl 4 Christ http://www.jeep4x4center.com/tj/windshield-glass-seal.htm

December 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Also fron some of the web surfing I did it looks like some of the auto glass places have them as well and might not be that much to replace.  Have you called around?

December 13, 2010 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chancho
Limited Member

I got some local estimates that were around $100 for the glass and $100 for the installation.  That seems a bit much so I thought I might learn how to do it myself.  

December 13, 2010 at 8:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chancho
Limited Member

Trailfrog at December 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Try these guys, they were one of our Premire Sponsors at Crawl 4 Christ http://www.jeep4x4center.com/tj/windshield-glass-seal.htm

I have found some really good deals at that site.  It seems that no matter where I look, glass is always 100 bucks.
December 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

if its a TJ it's not a good one to learn on, they are urethaned in and require a pair of suction cups & ratchet straps to hold down untill the glue sets up, they look flat untill you set it in the frame, they have a slight curve to them.

we do glass here at the shop and mine was a PITA

December 15, 2010 at 3:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

f you really want to do it yourself I can sell you a new OEM glass for 75$ + 25$ for the mldg.

December 15, 2010 at 4:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chancho
Limited Member

Thanks David.  I don't want to make a mistake but at the same time, I bought this rig to work on myself.  I'll let you know on the glass.

December 15, 2010 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

I came across this ad today:

http://joplin.craigslist.org/pts/2115851796.html

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

December 16, 2010 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chancho
Limited Member

Sweet!!  The two used windshields that he has are crawler glass with a few rock chips in them but he said that a new windshield would run $99 installed.  I have seen his ads before but never in Arkansas.  I'll have to drive to Joplin but that's still cheaper than paying a local $200.  I think I'll take David's advice and let a pro install the glass on my rig.  I'll stick to turning the wrenches everywhere else.

Thanks for the info Casey.

December 16, 2010 at 3:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

99$ is a bargain, a tube of urethane is another 10-15$ on top of the glass & mldg.

December 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10