Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Trail Talk > Overlanding

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Since I bought my M416 trailer I have been getting ideas on how I want to build it.  I did some reading on Expedition Portal and find this Overlanding thing interesting. Here's the definition:

Overlanding is the self-reliant adventure travel to remote destinations where the journey is the primary goal. Typically, but not exclusively, accommodated by mechanized off-highway capable transport (from bicycles to trucks) where the principal form of lodging is camping; often lasting for extended lengths of time (months to years) and often spanning international boundaries. While expedition is defined as a journey with a purpose, overlanding sees the journey as the purpose.

Technical terrain can be encountered throughout the journey, and the traveler may even seek out the most challenging route to a destination as part of their experience, but overland travel is not the same as recreational “fourwheeling”, where the primary objective is overcoming challenging obstacles. The critical point to the term overland travel is that the purpose is to seek out at least two or more of the following: 1. Remote locations, 2. Other cultures than your own, 3. Under-explored or under-documented regions, 4. Being self-reliant in unfamiliar territories for multiple days, weeks or months. That is to say, an overnight trip to the local mountains on a well documented route and staying in an established campground with full-hookups is not an overland adventure, it is a backcountry adventure or at the very least, car camping.

Anyone else interested?

January 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

I've been reading articles on this as well.  Peterson's Four Wheel (Or was it 4 wheeler?) magazine had a series recently of a couple who took their JK unlimited all the way from Mexico to Canada, trying to avoid any paved roads.  They spent several weeks doing so.  Looked like a lot of fun.

I think an overland style vehicle is the bomb.  Modified just enough to make back country exploration possible, but not so crazy as to be trailered to off road only parks.

The biggest obstacle in overlanding would be finding the time and money to do so!!

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

January 23, 2011 at 3:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marv
Limited Member

It sounds fun to me too.. I'd love to try something like that.. It's an exercise in choosing the right gear and tools..  I read a travel blog from some people who drove their Land Cruiser across the Republic of Congo.. I'll see if I can get a link for it!  made me want to try something like that some day!

January 23, 2011 at 3:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member
A bunch of Arkansas crawlers have done the kiamiachi trail in southern Arkansas several times, I'll try to find a link. I'd be in for a 2-3 day trip
January 23, 2011 at 4:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

www.arkansascrawlers.com/main/forum/showthread.php?t=9518 Here's a link to the last trip

January 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aaron Womack
Limited Member

Those type of overlanding trips have always been my goal with my Cherokee.  A good multipurpose rig that is big enough to clear some obstacles but still reliable and simple.  I have a "TruckBedz" mattress (its made out of backpack material and their advertisements show a F350 driving over them blown up) that fits in the back of my Cherokee.  It even has the wheel wells cut out of the mattress and we sleep in the back of the rig when it is cold.  I would be up for a couple of night trip, maybe in early spring before the leaves are on the trees.  Some day I will have one of those military trailers with a rooftop tent integrated onto it.

--

Aaron Womack 

1978 Jeep Cherokee, 360, TH400, QT (soon to be PT), Dana 44HD/Dana 60, 4.88's, Lincoln Locked Rear, Spartan Locker front, SOA/SF lift, 36" OZ's, recentered H1's, liberal fender trimming, 2x4" tubing rockers

2006 Dodge 2500 5.7 Hemi, 6" lift, 37" Nitto Mud Grapplers

January 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peanut
Limited Member

RE: The Kiamichi Trail, AKO "K Trail".

Before you drvie down to Clayton , OK to start your adventure let me check the trail from Clayton OK to US HWY 259. Most of the Honobia WMA from Clayton, Ok to Octavia and Smithville, OK are now owned by private concerns that lease it out to hunting clubs that have built heavy  locked pipe gates and charge huge dollars for access. The last time I was at Clayton on the go around for K Trail it was washed out severly and might require some winching and placing of rocks to cross the washouts. If no gates have been built on the second leg, from the Indian Highway to US 259 it can be driven in a high clearance pickup. It also passes the old Kiamichi forest tower for some great photo shots. The third leg is usually a easy drive and very scenic in the spring and for the fall colors.

The few areas of Honobia WMA and Three Rivers WMA that a accessable to the public require an annual permit from the state. Will have to check the cost for you. Last I checkd, it was costly, all of the old good wheeling areas are now in the private sector.

Wingo Miller

--

January 24, 2011 at 9:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Randy, the most incredible overlanding trip I've ever read about is a couple named Jan and Leone Vorster from South Africa who are making a round the world trip in a Land Rover Overlander truck, which looks like a Unimog.  And not in a straight line.  Their adventures are amazing.  A year ago Oct. they were in the U.S. to hit all 49 states and stopped by the hi-lift plant.  I noticed the blurb on Hi-Lifts' site and went out and read their blog.  At that time they had covered 153,000 miles and 88 countries.  Incredible adventure.  Check it out.

www.landyonline.co.za/off_road/dipli/dilpli_travels.htm

January 24, 2011 at 12:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Discombobulated
WOW. never done anything like that. Sounds real cool
--
A lift, wheels, tires and stuff
January 25, 2011 at 7:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

www.centraloverland.com/Index/Home.html

another ark crawler found this today

January 27, 2011 at 1:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

SuperD at January 27, 2011 at 1:05 PM

www.centraloverland.com/Index/Home.html

another ark crawler found this today

Cool site!  Looks like they have a fun job.

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

January 27, 2011 at 9:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arjeepin
Limited Member

About 10 years ago 3 other rigs and myself took trails all the way from Mountainburg to Byrd's that was pretty cool... but there is no way I could remember the route we took.... I was just playing follow the leader..:D

--

1990 YJ........arjeepin on rockwells

January 27, 2011 at 10:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

April and May trips by Central Overland look interesting

January 28, 2011 at 12:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

daveoffroad
Limited Member

8)  wurth thinking about......

--

David Austin

http://www.c4x4.com/

http://freegift.net/

January 29, 2011 at 10:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aaron Womack
Limited Member

Here is a link on another site I frequent.  It is an FSJ site but the expedition ideas are the same for most vehicles.  http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127418 

--

Aaron Womack 

1978 Jeep Cherokee, 360, TH400, QT (soon to be PT), Dana 44HD/Dana 60, 4.88's, Lincoln Locked Rear, Spartan Locker front, SOA/SF lift, 36" OZ's, recentered H1's, liberal fender trimming, 2x4" tubing rockers

2006 Dodge 2500 5.7 Hemi, 6" lift, 37" Nitto Mud Grapplers

January 29, 2011 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Apr 17 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM