Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Steering Free play

We Be Rockin'

My steering seeming to be getting worse as time goes by.  When I first got the jeep (pre-modifications) the steering was super tight.  Just a touch on the wheel and you turned.

Since lifting and doing more challenging crawling, it seems to have picked up about 4 inches of free play, which of course means I'm constantly correcting direction as I cruise along.

It may be somewhat related to having probably 20-30 occurences of bad death wobble before I got that fixed.

Any ideas on how to tighten that up? 

I'm planning on going to 38-40 inch tires this year, so I'd like to get it straightened out (literally) now rather than later.

Not a mechanical genius, so speak slowly.:/

Thanks

--

February 1, 2011 at 2:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member
Dude that's an unsafe ammount of play, need to look into tha ASAP. Maybe Saturday I can help you give it a once over & see whats going on up there. You work just a few blocks from my house, you free Saturday morning?
February 1, 2011 at 5:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Hey SuperD, I am free.  I'll message Rick and see if we can get the shop open.

--

February 1, 2011 at 11:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

if not I can make room in my shop

February 2, 2011 at 10:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Discombobulated

let me know what time.  Would like the education on front ends where i can.

--
A lift, wheels, tires and stuff
February 3, 2011 at 12:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

if at my place the earlier the better,8-9 ish. I got a toyota truck coming up for a bumper & cage, if at the club shop anytime is fine, I'm only about 2 min. away

February 3, 2011 at 12:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Rick will have the club shop open.  I'm working on verifying a time.

--

February 3, 2011 at 2:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Decipticon

shop will be open ,is around 9 ok

February 3, 2011 at 7:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Perfect for me, how bout you Super?

--

February 3, 2011 at 9:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member
Perfect, see you there
February 4, 2011 at 8:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Did ya'll figure out what the problem was?

February 5, 2011 at 10:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member
Steering arm was finger tight, sector shaft seal leaking too. Splines seem to be worn a lil bit too, we cleaned it up & locktited it up. Another upgrade in his future
February 5, 2011 at 10:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

A big thanks to David today for quickly diagnosing my loose steering problem.   It was sooo nice driving home using only one lane!!!

He tells me that's a kind of a common problem for lifted JK's, so you guys with JK's might want to check that.  Thanks also to Rick for making the shop available.  That's going to be an awesome facility and truely a blessing for our club.  Scott, Rick, and I also got a tour of Gabes most recent mods.  His river raiders cage looks like a real consideration for safety, but the real treat was the RIPP Supercharger that now resides under his hood.  that thing is a real work of art, and nearly doubles the rear wheel horsepower of a JK., at less than 1/4 the cost of a V-8 swap.  Check it out!   Looks like a steering box rebuild is in my future, new sector shaft and pitman arm. 

Thanks again guys.

--

February 6, 2011 at 12:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

My word of advice for your near miss with pitman arm coming loose is after every trip check all nuts and bolts and that goes for everyone.   The way I do it is pull my Jeep in the garage and grab a creeper and flashlight and proceed to check every bolt and nut that has to do with the drivetrain.   Guys with adjustable control arms or custom steering this is especially important for jamb nuts.   If that pitman arm had come off things would have gotten bad fast.  Glad Dave caugth it for yea.

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

February 6, 2011 at 1:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10