Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Project TONS

vbtj
Limited Member

O.K. going to start a build thread on here for my one-tons project.  I am installing a HP 60 Front and a 14 bolt rear.  Chopping the rear frame and building a new one to come out higher at the rear of the Jeep.  Tires will be 39.5 Pitbull Rockers on 17" steel wheels w/ weld-on beadlocks. I will be building all the axle brackets myself on this.  If funds allow it will get hydraulic assist, 35 spline outers, and drive flanges on the front axle.  Also a lot of small stuff here and there.  Here are some begining pics of the axles, tires, and how the Jeep will sit for the next couple months.

March 4, 2009 at 7:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

dude!

--

1990 YJ......... almost stock

March 4, 2009 at 9:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

Looking good. I look forward to seeing the progress on this project.  May the force be with you. lol

March 4, 2009 at 11:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

86 zuk
Limited Member

sweet pit bulls  good luck. and keep the pic coming

March 5, 2009 at 12:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Ordered my beadlock kit this morning and plan on ordering most of everything else in the next 2 weeks so updates will be coming.

March 12, 2009 at 8:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marv
Limited Member

I'm really considering getting the 42" Rockers.. i'm just being a cheapskate at the moment.. Looks like fun!

March 17, 2009 at 5:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

O.k. little update got my beadlocks, drive flanges, D-60 Lockrite, D-60  Master Install kit, and front u-joints.  Ordering diff cover kits, brake bracket for the 14 bolt, and some Ten Factory 35 spline axle shafts tomorrow morning.  Next week I should start making some progress on getting the axles under the Jeep and the beadlocks welded on and tires mounted.

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

March 19, 2009 at 8:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Alright progress is being way slower than I planned (Boiler training at work taking one of my days off a week).  However the beadlocks are welded on and all parts have been ordered and on the way.  Friday I am going to get the bolts for the beadlocks and get the tires mounted and get the rest of the steel I need for the build.  Should make some progress this weekend and will post some pics then.

--

March 24, 2009 at 11:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Well some updates and pics to follow Wednesday or Thursday.   Got the tires mounted on the beadlocks last night  however only one is completely done.  Got the 60 tore down and went today and got all new wheel bearings and spindle bearings for it.  My diff covers and brake brackets finally showed up today so now I can start fabbing brackets.  I plan on starting on the rear frame section Thursday and will post pics of the progress.  They took away are boiler training do to slow operations in plant so I get my days off back now so now I can make some real progress.

--

March 30, 2009 at 3:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Here is a pic of one of the wheels and tires.  I am glad they are done.   Here also is a pic of the most expensive shelf in the garage and it's missing a few parts still.

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/vbtj/?action=view&current=100_0611.jpg

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/vbtj/?action=view&current=100_0612.jpg

--

April 3, 2009 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

O.k. try this again

--

April 3, 2009 at 11:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain_Morgan
Limited Member
HELLO! Updates? Don't keep us hanging man......is that shelf bare yet?
--

1981 CJ-7, 44's, Locked F/R, 4.56, Stretched on Beadlocked 37"s.

April 13, 2009 at 8:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

jWell here is another pic.  Got the comp cut done and frame cut off.  Took some time laying out where to cut the frame, Plus we had softball games and Easter things to do this weekend so I got maybe 4 hrs. total to work on it this weekend.  Also got all my brake parts for the 14 bolt this weekend and will be getting the 60 brake stuff next weekend.   I am hoping to have the new frame built and bumper done by this week as I am off Wednesday and Thursday.  Anyway here is a pic of the comp cut and frame missing.

--

April 13, 2009 at 10:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

So you don't think I am extemely slow I also have the new u-joints installed in the axles with full circle clips.  I installed new wheel bearings and seals in the front hubs and spindles.  I welded out my new front diff cover and got both diff covers bolted on and installed the disc brake bracket on the 14 bolt.  All this front 60 stuff in new to me so it is taking a little more time than it should probably, but all I like on it is doing the gear install and I am slowing gathering the tools to be able to do it myself.

--

April 13, 2009 at 10:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Here are some frame pics should be done with it tonight.  The crossmember reuses the factory body mounts and the rear bumper has a flush mounted receiver hitch now with the pin going behind the bumper.  It is also now wider than the frame. 

--

April 16, 2009 at 5:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

Hey get that thing done we are going wheeling this sat.  j/k looks good

--

1990 YJ......... almost stock

April 16, 2009 at 10:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

I'm trying man.  It's 1 a.m. and I just stopped.  Got all the frame welded out and a couple braces put on the bottom side of the frame where the new and old meet.  Got two more cross members cut so I can add in body mounts on the backside and they will also serve as a future fuel cell mount, but had to stop on that cause the hole saw in the drill press put's out a high pitch squel.  Didn't want to wake the BOSS.  Also still need to tie the cage back in to it.  Should finish up in the morning with the frame except  the cage tie-in.  

--

April 17, 2009 at 2:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Updated pics.  Frame is done and started the 14 bolt disc brakes and plan on starting the suspension this weekend.  May also start on the gear and lockrite install on the 60 this weekend.

--

April 21, 2009 at 2:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Alright got the discs brakes on the 14 bolt done and got my front brakes this weekend.  Didn't make alot of progress though.  Had yard work to do, install a new AC condenser on the house, painting lawn furniture, and take out the boss for our anniverary.  I did build me a 6" wide brake today though for my press so I can break my trusses instead of having to cut and weld.   Here is a pic of it and some 1/4" x 6" plate I tested it with.  If I can get my hands on some 3/8" I plan on seeing if it will bend that also.

--

April 26, 2009 at 11:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Looking good Justin is it going to be ready for a madien voyage at SMORR? 

April 26, 2009 at 11:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Apr 17 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM