Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Project TONS

vbtj
Limited Member

Not sure Randy I am trying but I am not getting enough time to spend on it.  I should make some good progress on it this week though, hopefully.

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

April 27, 2009 at 12:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Here are some more pics.  Got the truss bent up and got the lowere control arms done.  The lowere arms and truss are made from 1/4" and all gussets are dimple die'd 1/8".  The gusset on the control arm mounts has 1" dimples.  I'll post more pics later tonight as I plan on working on it more during the night tonight. 

--

April 30, 2009 at 4:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen
Limited Member

That is so sweet. 

April 30, 2009 at 6:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

O.K. it's like 3 in the morning and i just quit not to long ago.   14 bolt is about half done.  Still got some gussets to put on the truss and the upper link mounts and then wheel it under the Jeep install the coil mounts put the coils in and set the rear on tires.  Hopefully will get that done Monday. Oh and shocks.  Anyway here are some more pics.

--

May 1, 2009 at 4:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jayd67
Limited Member

Looking good keep up the good work.

May 1, 2009 at 11:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Hey JD, good to see you on here!  By the way, I see both you and Justin are in Van Buren, do yall know each other by chance?

May 2, 2009 at 12:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Yeah Randy we know each other JD lives about a block from me and gets me some free metal from time to time.  He also built my front bumper for me since he works at a fab shop here in town.

--

May 2, 2009 at 3:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Got about 4 more hrs. on it today.  Lower coil buckets are done and got the outside of the uppers done.  Uppers are the factory ones.  I cut them off the frame before I hauled it off.  Also got the rear part of the truss done w/ more dimple dies.  Might have it setting on the rear tires tomorrow.

--

May 4, 2009 at 5:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

More pics.  Got the coil mounts on and put the coils in and put the tires on.  Looks like it will still fit in and ou of the garage by 1/2" but it is 3 inches to wide to go between the fenders on the trailer so I wlll have to build some drive over fenders for it. 

--

May 5, 2009 at 2:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain_Morgan
Limited Member
Hussle, hussle man! SMORR is the end of the month. Do you think you will have it done in time?
--

1981 CJ-7, 44's, Locked F/R, 4.56, Stretched on Beadlocked 37"s.

May 5, 2009 at 2:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

I already threw in the towel on going to SMORR.  It may be done but the trailer won't and nobody willing to step up and watch our kids all weekend(more in the SMORR thread on this).  So I will be hanging with kids.  I decided to take my time and get it right and just like I wanted it,   so if that means missing SMORR then that is what will happen.   I'll miss not getting to go ,but oh well and I will be done in time for the Crawl 4 Christ.

--

May 5, 2009 at 2:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jayd67
Limited Member

Ok, it's been nearly a month now. Any progress going on over there? Your posts have been encouraging me to work on my own stuff. So you got to keep it coming, I'm starting to have withdraws. (HA HA)

June 3, 2009 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Picked up the rest of my heim joints yesterday and got my upper front bushing from Rubicon Express today and should get all my new teflon bushings and sockets to rebuild all my suspension joints tomorrow then this weekend it's on like Donkey Kong so stop by.   I did actually work on it some got my rear lowers extended another 2 inches and was going to finish the 14 bolt truss last Thursday night ,but I ran out of wire at 11 p.m. and didn't have anymore in the cabinet.

--

June 4, 2009 at 1:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Well finally got some time and the rest of my parts to start back on this thing.   I didn't like the small 10 mm bolt on the upper suspension joints so I called up Rubicon Express and got the new style inner balls that use a 1/2" bolt  and new teflon races for the joints since I was going to have them apart.  After taking them apart the old teflon races were still in good shape so I reused them and  put the new ones up for later use,   Stretched my lower rear arms another 2" s to get the wheelbase in the rear where I wanted it and got the truss tie-in done.  Still have to finish the upper frame end mounts on the rear 4-link and then start the front.   Should get to work on it all day Sunday so will post more pics then.  Here are a few pics.

Pic of my Chromoly heims and stainless steel misalignment spacers for the steering and front trackbar

--

June 5, 2009 at 9:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Well if I hadn't run out of metal the front axle would be in, but no where to get metal at 11 p.m. on Sunday night.  Here are some new pics though.  Trying to make one last push for the Crawl 4 Christ but it doesn't look good.  Anyway here are some pics.

--

June 22, 2009 at 12:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

dude you might need to use your vacation time to get that back together.  Hope to see you at Disney. 

PS> We are going to Clayton in Oct..........you think you'll be ready by then?haha

--

1990 YJ......... almost stock

June 23, 2009 at 8:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Doesn't look like I'll make it.  Don't have any vacation and am doing 8 hrs of overtime every week for boiler training and next Tuesday our day off we have to come in for 8 hrs of Hazmat training, but you never know.   I will be done by Clayton for sure at least I hope I will.

--

June 23, 2009 at 10:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Alright finally got some days off or work after 2 wks with 1 day off.   Jeep is now on all fours but still has a ways to go.  Wheelbase came out to about 103-104".  To add some tech if you ever drill out knuckles for Heim steering use a step bit that ends with the size you drilling and a cordless drill.   I used a cheap harbor freight step bit that ended at 3/4" and a Ryobi 18v drill and drilled both knuckles out in less that 2 minutes.   Here are a few pics of it on the tires.

--

July 9, 2009 at 10:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

daveoffroad
Limited Member

That rig is shaping up nicely.  I think you will be well satisfied with that wheel base.  Long enough for some stability on hill climbs and short enough to get through the trees.  :)  Looking Good...

--

David Austin

http://www.c4x4.com/

http://freegift.net/

July 9, 2009 at 11:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain_Morgan
Limited Member

Looking good!

--

1981 CJ-7, 44's, Locked F/R, 4.56, Stretched on Beadlocked 37"s.

July 9, 2009 at 12:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Apr 17 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM