Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Project TONS

vbtj
Limited Member

Front suspension is getting changed to a 3 link with a panhard bar. Going to ditch the radius arm stuff. Order my new upper Joints from Ballistic fab this morning. I am working 12 days in a row at work though so don't expect any more updates for a couple weeks.

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

July 13, 2009 at 8:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

What don't you like about the arms?  Whatcha gonna do w/ em'?, I might want buy em'?.

--

1990 YJ......... almost stock

July 13, 2009 at 11:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Keeping the lowers just getting rid of the upper part.   What I don't like is they are going to hit the frame on full bump so it'll just be easier to do the 3-link and bring that upper further in from the frame so it clears.  I'll sell you the upper stuff if you want them to do a radius arm set up just let me know they'll be cheap.

--

July 14, 2009 at 2:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

They are R.E. stuff right?  I think I want em' let me know how much.  (I'm kinda broke after ordering that detroit. :D  I'll be able to swing it though.)

--

July 14, 2009 at 11:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Alright here are some updates.  All I like at this point is lowering the rear end one inch and mounting shocks, regearing the 60, and installing the new bigger Master Cylinder and reassemble everything.   Here are some finished pics of the front 60 and my new driveshafts.  Axle end of both shafts will have 1350 series u-joints.  That way one spare will fit either one.

--

September 3, 2009 at 8:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Weill rear is all done and together minus brake lines, but that won't take long at all.  Front driveshaft is bolted back to the transfer case and ready for axle.   Gear install has been started and waiting on some new carrier bearings so I can make some setup bearings then I will finish that and then the front goes together.   Plan on installing the new Master Cylinder and working on my trailere tomorrow after work.

--

September 6, 2009 at 9:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Here are a few pics

--

September 6, 2009 at 9:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

hurry, lets go wheelin'......

--

September 8, 2009 at 10:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Got the gears setup last night.  Will do the final install tonight and then start bolting everything on the front together and add fluids.  Hopefully that goes smooth and then get the trailer done tomorrow night.

--

September 9, 2009 at 6:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Jeep is about 90% done and got to run it this weekend.  Still got the hydro assist to do and I have decided to get new shocks before Clayton.   I thought I would throw a list of Vendors I used and their links.   I am happy with all except for  some local boys who gave me some trouble over a yoke and they WILL NOT get anymore of my money from now on.

I got some joints and tube adapters from Ballistic Fab and the craftmanship looks real good.  http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/

I got my diff covers and 14 disc brake brackets from RuffStuff specialtys.   I ordered their Diff cover kits that you weld yourself, but they were out of the 14 bolt ones so he sent me a fully welded one at no extra charge and he offers a Pirate 4x4 discount.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/index.php

I got my Ten Factory 35 splines outers from East Coast Gear Supply.  Quick shipping from this guy as he keeps them in stock.

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/

I bought my Drive Slugs straight from Rockcrusher.

http://www.rockcrusherdiffs.com/

All my heims are QA 1 chromoly heims and I used Yukon gears and install kit on the 60.

Anyway this may help someone out and give everyone some other places to buy parts.  

--

September 13, 2009 at 8:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen
Limited Member

Did you stay full width on your axles? If so does it make it difficult to get through the trails. I will probaly just go with am 8.8 in the rear but tons sound awesome for bigger tires and durablity.

--

91 YJ, AMC 360, 33"x13.50" Swamper LTBs, QuadraJunk Trans Case, SOA lift, 4.5" lift springs,  4.88 gears, Spartan locker up front, 8.8 with discs in the rear, Rock Solid Fab Rock Rails

-Allen C Wendling

January 3, 2010 at 2:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Yes I stayed full width and the wheels are 4.5" of backspacing.  Have not had any problems being to wide to date.  I think the front is like 89" wide outside of tire to outside of tire.

--

January 3, 2010 at 8:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen
Limited Member

Hmmmmmm. I like the idea of tons. May go that day one day. It seems like the tough way to go. Thanks for the info

--

91 YJ, AMC 360, 33"x13.50" Swamper LTBs, QuadraJunk Trans Case, SOA lift, 4.5" lift springs,  4.88 gears, Spartan locker up front, 8.8 with discs in the rear, Rock Solid Fab Rock Rails

-Allen C Wendling

January 3, 2010 at 9:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Ok here are some pics of the 3-link done and finally got the axle cleaned and painted.

--

February 23, 2010 at 5:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Okay been doing some rework on my rig so here are some new pics.  New front tube work and winch.  New battery mount.  New fuel cell and some mini racks. 

--

August 24, 2010 at 3:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

More

pics

--

August 24, 2010 at 3:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Bought the kids Corbeau's new 40" Rear suspension bench seat so that led to reworking my cage.  Here are some pics of the new rear section of the cage.   Still have some more to do after I get the fuel cell in and seat mounted.

--

September 21, 2010 at 11:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Since I'm putting a seat in the back for the kids I needed something to carry my baja bin and ice chest on so I built me a swing out cargo rack. I used an A to Z Fabrication 1,000# tire carrier hinge and a rubber bushing for the other end. This allows me to access my fuel cell and the kids new harnesses. It's a mix of 1.5" and 1.25" on the bottom and the top tube is all 1". The sheet metal is 14 guage and there are 43 dimples total anywhere from 3" to 1". Now for the pics

--

February 7, 2011 at 5:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Sunday, Apr 20 All Day
Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5