Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > 4x4 Events > Any one want to do some trail exploration MT Magazine area

mud diver
Limited Member

Hey guys just wanted to see if any one might be intrested in doing some trail exploration in the Mt Magazine area. i know a couple of trails i used to play on when i was in high school. the first trail head is actually about 10 miles east of paris and puts you out on the road that goes up mount magazine.  From what i remember it consists of 2 creek crossings which have been deep depending on if it rains before not a difficult trail we ran jeeps with 4 inch lift and 33,s and no lockers on it. There are some deep mud holes on the trail but most of them have a path around them. It ends at a waterfall which we have crawled up before you can braek on it if not careful i broke my rear ring and pinoun on it back in the day, and you dont have to climb it trail goes on top of it. Its not a long trail me and my buddies with about 4 rigs made it through in 4 or 5  hours. The other trail head is on the road up the mountain it is also a short trail also easy just goes down a rocky slope that has a ledge drop off down into a creek. It takes you down to the creek crossing where remains of an old concrete bridge are then takes you back to the road took me bymyself in my avalanche with 6 inches of lift to get through in about an hour. like i said it was back in 03 and 04 when i was up there and havent been since so there might be a few wrong turns involved . there are a lot of other trails just never explored them.  i wouldnt be able to go till next month just wanted to see if anyone might be intrested in going maybe make a day of it and end up going to the top of the mountain to see the view. if there is any intrest let me know  and maybe we can put something together for an exploration trail ride. and also when would be a good time for everyone.

April 3, 2011 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

duke 2001
Limited Member

i would if could get me some new tires

April 11, 2011 at 11:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mud diver
Limited Member
I've got some 33's I will sell you they are pretty much brand new but they are for 18 inch rims
April 11, 2011 at 11:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mud diver
Limited Member

ok looked at my schedule and the events calander looks like i might try and go up to the mt magazine area the 21 or 28 of may anyone intrested in maybe going just post up let me know if your intrested and what date might work better for you. thanks. and like i said before these are not going to be hardcore trails that i know just be a relaxing trail ride unless some one gets crazy and goes for the deep mud holes!!!

April 24, 2011 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mud diver
Limited Member
Ok looks like I can make this run on the 28 of may that is sat of memorial day weekend any one who thinks they might be interested please post up that way I can get an idea of who might go
May 12, 2011 at 10:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

My wife and I are planning to camp at Mt. Magazine the 23rd through the 25th.  We have never been there before.  I'm taking vacation from work that whole week before Memorial Day.  We have to come home before the 28th though. :(

May 13, 2011 at 5:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mud diver
Limited Member
Oh man so close there are some pretty nice trails up there but I don't know the road names to tell you I just sort of remember where to turn. But let me tell you if have never been it's awesome up there great views you should enjoy it.
May 13, 2011 at 6:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mud diver
Limited Member

ok had to go to russiville for my sisters graduation so i timed how long it takes to get to the trails. it takes from fort smith about 1 hour and 20  minutes to get there. so i figure if we all met at the super walmart in fort smith about 9 a.m we could get to the trail a little after 10 it takes about 2  to 3 hours to run the trail so we could have lunch at the waterfall and go from there and decided if we want to go up the mountain or other trails or whatever.

May 14, 2011 at 4:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mud diver
Limited Member

talked to a few friends down here looks like i got about 2 or 3 jeeps going. and also wanted to let you guys know if your wanting to trailor your jeeps there is a shale quarry where you can park your truck if you need to trailor it.

May 17, 2011 at 7:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

mud diver
Limited Member
Ok here is the plan as of right now ride set for the 28th will meet at the superwalmart parking lot in fort smith at 9 a.m from there we will drive an hour and 20 min to the trail outside Paris near sorghum hollow horse trails stopping for gas in Paris we will then run the main trail I know and have lunch at the waterfall. From there we can sort of play it by ear run up to the top of the mountain or find other trails or whatever. Looks like I got a couple of jeeps coming from down here not members of the club yet any way looks like A nice day according to the weather and hope to see y'all there
May 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Someone posted this map on the Central Overland site.  It looks like it includes the Mt. Magazine area on page 5. I'll add it to our Area Trails Page as well

May 25, 2011 at 8:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mud diver
Limited Member

thanks for posting that its more updated then maps i have. ok talked to the guys down here i have 3 people for sure coming, and 3 maybe's . one of the guysthat is coming said he rode some of the trails last week and they did not look bad and he knows some other trails i dont so we have other places to ride. once again meeting at the super walmart at the corner of rogers ave and massard an 9:00am for those of you coming from north west ark you get on i 540 heading for fort smith then you will take the rogers ave exit heading east  then the wal mart is about a mile and half down. if you think you might be able to make it post up and let me know that way we dont leave before everyone gets there.

May 25, 2011 at 9:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

Unless something comes up I will be there

May 26, 2011 at 12:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Looks like it's going to be a good day for wheeling!  Are Dean and I the only ones joining Michael's group for the Mt. Magazine run?

May 27, 2011 at 1:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Decipticon

mines out of commission,sent my gear box and pwr steering pump off to REDNECK RAM to be ported, tired of not being able to turn my 37s when i get in a stickey situation...

May 27, 2011 at 2:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mud diver
Limited Member
Hey Randy looks like there will be about 7 jeeps so far and if you could bring some club shirts and decals one of the guys coming wants to join the club
May 27, 2011 at 9:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

mud diver at May 27, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Hey Randy looks like there will be about 7 jeeps so far and if you could bring some club shirts and decals one of the guys coming wants to join the club

Any idea of shirt sizes?

May 27, 2011 at 9:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

Hey Randy,

Could you spare a couple decals? I would like to decal the sides of my hood

May 27, 2011 at 9:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mud diver
Limited Member
Yes he said 2xl
May 27, 2011 at 9:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Ok, I'll bring a 2XL and some decals, but the decal's are $5.00 each for extra's.

May 27, 2011 at 9:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10