Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Other > i need some help on some winch info..

duke 2001
Limited Member

ok i drive a 95 grand cherokee with 32's...the question that i have is... that i have found a m6000 warn winch at good price my jeep gvw is 5000lbs....will this winch do the job or will it burn it up..i know if i  due two parts on the the line pull if would work or would it not....some input on this would help you guess have done alot more winching then me...thanks

May 25, 2011 at 11:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

The rule of thumb I've heard is a minimum rating of 1.5 x vehicle weight.  Here is a link to a lot of good information.  This is also a good article on winching.

May 25, 2011 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Duke, you are going about figuring your  winch needs all wrong.  It's not how much your vehicle weighs, it's how much the Hummer weighs that you'll be pulling out of the mud;)

Seriously though, depending on how good a deal the winch is, if you ALWAYS use a snatchblock it would work as the snatchblock basically cuts the line pull in half.

There are now several good 8000 lb winches on the market for anywhere from 300 to 400 brand new, Smittybilt, others.

I think that even Warn just introduced a value oriented line because Smittybilt was eating their lunch with the XRC line.

--

May 25, 2011 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

duke 2001
Limited Member

We Be Rockin' at May 25, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Duke, you are going about figuring your  winch needs all wrong.  It's not how much your vehicle weighs, it's how much the Hummer weighs that you'll be pulling out of the mud;)

Seriously though, depending on how good a deal the winch is, if you ALWAYS use a snatchblock it would work as the snatchblock basically cuts the line pull in half.

There are now several good 8000 lb winches on the market for anywhere from 300 to 400 brand new, Smittybilt, others.

I think that even Warn just introduced a value oriented line because Smittybilt was eating their lunch with the XRC line.

I can get the winch for about 200...but for another 100 I can get an 8000 lbs from smitty
May 25, 2011 at 6:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Looks like 4wd.com has free shipping and I think you would be able to use your 10% club discount which would put a Smittybilt 8000 XRC at $270 to your door, I believe.

May 25, 2011 at 8:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

duke 2001
Limited Member

Trailfrog at May 25, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Looks like 4wd.com has free shipping and I think you would be able to use your 10% club discount which would put a Smittybilt 8000 XRC at $270 to your door, I believe.

Randy what would I need to tell them to get the discount
May 25, 2011 at 9:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

I emailed you what you need to do.

May 25, 2011 at 10:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

I bought the Smittybilt XRC8 about 2 years ago for $300 delivered.  I honestly thought I would use if for a year or so and replace it.  I've used it a lot and love it.  You can't beat if for the money.  It's saved my bacon more than a few times, not to mention several of my wheeling buddies.  Larry is right about the snatch block, but 6000 lbs is really pushing the boundry for any full size rig.  If you're going to spend some money, make it count.

--

BONE

2008 JK Wrangler

SkyJacker 4.5" full flex / SkyJacker Adj. Control Arms / Tatton driveshafts / 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials / 15x8 Eagles / Rock Solid Fab front bumper / Smittybilt XRC-8 winch / Hellas / Custom built rear bumper - tire carrier / Aussie Locker

www.project-jk.com

June 1, 2011 at 12:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

April Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10