Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Ministry Events > Joplin cleanup

Discombobulated

Last Saturday the family and I went through Joplin to see things first hand. Words can not describe the look and devistation that has taken place.

I am thinking of a ROAD TRIP to JOPLIN to help with cleanup. There are massive amount of people there feeding and making sure there is water and such, and I am sure there are alot of people there helping people pick up the pieces and try to make sense of things.

I would like to make a road trip to Joplin on SATURDAY JUNE 4 OR SATURDAY JUNE 11 to assist with the cleanup.

Would anyone else like to join me?

I am going to contact the city and the RED CROSS to try and get things lined up.

if you have questions please call me

Scott

479-899-8169

--
A lift, wheels, tires and stuff
June 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Discombobulated

I talked to the Red Cross and the United Way. There is a site to visit 211missouri.org

This site has things broken down into shifts. You can volunteer for 4 hour segments and will meet up with other orginazations to assist people.

this will be a LONG process and they could use all of the assistance they can get.

If I can gather some folks either date, i will register us as a club.

Please let me know if you would like to help.

thanks

--
June 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

Do you know what sort of work we will be doing? I am disabled, so if I can come and be productive  I will. But if it is purely physical, I am willing but the body ain't

June 1, 2011 at 1:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David
Limited Member
I'm off the 4th, working the 11th. Willing to help! 479-685-1622
June 1, 2011 at 10:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Several people from my company are there today and I'm heading up in a few minutes.  We're just cooking today, but I will see if I can find someone that is connected to a well organized relief effort and get the low-down.

Some friends that have been up this week tell me that things are still pretty disorganized and that they basically have just been told to go to an area and find someone that needs assistance.

With winches, chainsaws, and even a tractor or two, we ought to be able to help clear trees or move large debris or something.

--

June 2, 2011 at 12:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

You might try here:

www.rebuildjoplin.org

That's where most people are being directed to now, in order to try and get a central place for assistance.

Casey

June 2, 2011 at 11:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Discombobulated

I talked to the United Way office, the insurance adjusters have not cleared many sites for mass cleanup. The rep i spoke to advised that the area is over run with volunteers. He advised allow a few weeks to allow the adjusters time to clear the area for mass cleanup.

and like Larry said, it would be a HUGE help to put our winches, and saws to work.

I will keep in touch with the united way office to help keep up to date on things.

--
June 3, 2011 at 12:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

After spending a few hours up there Thursday, I would say for reference that the center of joplin looks like a 6 mile long, 1000 acre landfill.  Virtually as far as you can see down the tornado's path there are simply piles of debris where once their were homes and businesses.

It is truly overwhelming to the senses, mind numbing really, to try and process the devastation Joplin has suffered. 

What is truly shocking to me is that the death toll is not 1000, or even 5000.   How these people survived, in a storm where no closet or bathtub could protect them, is really a miracle.

I hope that everyone will try and make it up there or donate funds toward cleaning up this disaster, as I truly cannot see how Joplin could ever do it alone.

For now, prayer and basic necessities are in high demand.

I am going to finish out the storm shelter at the house that has been sitting half-done for 10 years, as this demonstration of nature's power has given me a keen sense of what can happen.

Most vivid memories:  Restaurant destroyed with all customers cars destroyed still parked around it.

John boat wrapped around top of tree.

Delivery van, frame and all, completely wrapped around a tree, I'm talking frame wrapped tightly all the way around, 1/2 mile from where it was parked.

Cars sitting all over the place that look like they've been through a car crusher, but they haven't.

Clean foundations where homes stood.

Some of the victims have at least retained a sense of humor. 

Signs we saw:   Home for sale, 1/2 off.   (roof was gone).

Garage sale:  You find it,

Everything must go!

and lastly, faith demonstrated in "Trust God, He has a plan for us."

June 4, 2011 at 11:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ozark Red Rubi
Limited Member

I went with a group from work last Saturday - it was beyond words. The destruction is unreal. We worked with College Heights Church - they have a system to get help out to people in need. They gave us work order and tools and sent us out. It was great to get a chance to connect with people and help in a real way, then to pray with them. The need is huge. Behind the hospital they are clearing debris by hand - there is not enough equipment available to do it any other way. People are being urged to retrieve all their possessions before the 15th so that they can start bulldozing. If you have time sign up of a shift for a half day, you will be blessed! Here are some images if you'd like to take a look.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150230782832249.341983.693872248&l=1b7e01d364

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150230697592249.341938.693872248&l=da7141efe0

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150230755872249.341965.693872248&l=e6e7f1d12d

--

God made dirt and dirt don't hurt.

June 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Sunday, Apr 20 All Day
Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5