Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Small Dilemma

Hemi
Limited Member

Couple weeks ago, in Wheeling World, my tire went down in a streambed. Cleaned it up, put it back on the wheel, put it back as a spare, and all was good. Or so I thought.

Yesterday closed the tailgate and discovered it was flat. Went to Norm's today, and turns out I have two holes in the sidewall near the bead. So need a new tire.

Option 1: Buy a new tire in the same size, beef up the axle, regear, add a tire carrier, and buy 35s in a year

Option 2: Buy 35s now, sell the 33s, beef up the axle, regear, add a tire carrier

I am leaning to option 2. I did not want to do 35s before I strengthed the axles, but I can probably go a few months without blowing anything, and hate to buy a brand new 33" wheel at this point. Also, have some good tread still on my 33s and can sell them (they really are grippy hint hint).

What do you think I should do? Need to do something this week if I am going to make SMORR

June 11, 2011 at 3:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner
I vote option #2. I hate spending money twice! You will be fine with the 35's on your axles as long as you stay off those 4 and 5 rated trails!
June 11, 2011 at 6:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Discombobulated
I agree with Randy. I hate spending money twice as well. I have stock axles and have attacked anything I ever wanted.
--
A lift, wheels, tires and stuff
June 11, 2011 at 7:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Are those 33's of yours on 15" wheels by chance?  hint hint  :D 

Probably not, being a JK.....

June 11, 2011 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David
Limited Member
If your 33's are 15's, possible buyer #2 here! Or are they 16's?
June 11, 2011 at 9:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

Sorry, they are 17s. Those darn JKs :P

June 11, 2011 at 9:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David
Limited Member

DANG IT!!! Ok, so does anyone have a set of 17" on 5x4.5's lying around????

June 11, 2011 at 11:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

Go option 2.  Most of the JK's in the club are running stock axles.  I'm running a 36x12.50 Swamper TSL, which is a full 37" and we all know how heavy Swampers are.  I've broke one axle shaft, but as some of you know, I wasn't exactly taking it easy on it when it broke.  I've been wheeling mine since I bought it in early 08.  The biggest issue I have is a bent axle housing.  Oh, by the way, for those of you who came wheeling with us on the Father / Son camping trip and saw me break my front axle......I went back to that hole two weeks ago and made it out on the second try!

--

BONE

2008 JK Wrangler

SkyJacker 4.5" full flex / SkyJacker Adj. Control Arms / Tatton driveshafts / 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials / 15x8 Eagles / Rock Solid Fab front bumper / Smittybilt XRC-8 winch / Hellas / Custom built rear bumper - tire carrier / Aussie Locker

www.project-jk.com

June 14, 2011 at 11:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

Back to my dliemma; will proibably get tires this week. I have a chance to trade my 33s for a set of rubi wheels and tires. If I do that, then I can have a set of 35s to wheel on, and drive during the week on 32s, which would save gas. Or, I could sell the tires for about $600. What do you guys think?

June 22, 2011 at 6:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

Back to my dliemma; will proibably get tires this week. I have a chance to trade my 33s for a set of rubi wheels and tires. If I do that, then I can have a set of 35s to wheel on, and drive during the week on 32s, which would save gas. Or, I could sell the tires for about $600. What do you guys think?

June 22, 2011 at 6:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Dean, unless you are going to pretty radical bias 35, I'd dump the extra set.  While I plan to do it, I think changing tires out once or twice a month is going to be a pain, and if you turn off overdrive your mileage won't be too bad.   Once you re-gear, it's a moot point anyway.

What tires are you looking at?

--

June 22, 2011 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

Looking at Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_1104_mud_tire_shootout_third_place_mickey_thompson_baja_mtz/index.html

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/wheels/131_1006_mickey_thompson_baja_mtz_radial/index.html

I have the ATZs now, and you know how much grip I get. The MTZs are a step up in offroad performance. Mickey Thompson is a Cooper brand, and I have always had good luck with Coopers. And I can get a good deal.

June 22, 2011 at 9:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10