Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Need some advice on JK lifts

NWA_WJ

I have a friend that is looking at getting a used JK 4 dr.  He wants to do a lift, wheels, and tires and he wants to stay around the 3k range.  He would like a 4 inch lift and he wants to run a 35x12.50.  I think his biggest problem is he wants to run aftermarket 18 inch rims.  I know the 18" tires run considerably more than 17's and way more than 15's.  I'm afraid that if he sticks with 18's he will eat up most of his budget.  What are you JK's guys running and what would you recommend?  He probably won't wheel it much and I doubt he goes hardcore rock crawling in it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Brant

June 20, 2011 at 11:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member
I run 15" wheels and 36x12.50 tires. If he doesn't plan on wheeling, he can use a budget boost lift (2.5") and still run 35's or a Ranch Sport Lift (4") for around $700. Neither are very good off road. I have a 5" SkyJacker Full Flex lift and I wheel mine pretty hard. The best option is a good lift with adjustable control arms. You can get away without them for a while but eventually he'll have driveshaft issues if he goes a full 4".
--

BONE

2008 JK Wrangler

SkyJacker 4.5" full flex / SkyJacker Adj. Control Arms / Tatton driveshafts / 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials / 15x8 Eagles / Rock Solid Fab front bumper / Smittybilt XRC-8 winch / Hellas / Custom built rear bumper - tire carrier / Aussie Locker

www.project-jk.com

June 21, 2011 at 9:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kahuna Mas
Limited Member

This is the lift I am running.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_4.html

It was $500 and if he is not wheeling much is an inexpensive way to get a 4" lift.

As for wheels, I would suggest staying away from an 18" rim and stick with the 17". The tire options are much much greater for 17" rims.

--

June 21, 2011 at 10:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

I would not recommend a Skyjacker, as I've have numerous issues with mine.  Lifts are like everything else, you get what you pay for. 

None of us every really planned to wheel our JK's hard, but it's kind of a natural progression. 

I'd suggest he simply budget his money, get the best lift he can to insure his ride quality and frame geometry remain true, and stay with 17"s.   He should be able to stay under 3k pretty easily if he doesn't get carried away on wheels and tires.

18 inch rims and 18" tires are WAY more expensive than 17" and very limited in selection as well.

June 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

You can almost buy 17" wheels and tires for the cost of 18" tires alone. I am not a fan of 15" wheels - I prefer 17" but that is all personal taste.  For the lift, I have a set of 3" JKU springs from TeraFlex. a 4 door will get over 4" lift from them. I could give a good deal on them. For a complete lift, I would look at the Rock Krawler lifts. They have the best balance of cost and wheelability. Check EvergreenOffroad.com. James, the owner, is a member of the club, and your friend will get a great deal and service. He carries Rock Krawler (and Currie and River Raider)

June 22, 2011 at 6:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

We Be Rockin' at June 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I would not recommend a Skyjacker, as I've have numerous issues with mine.  Lifts are like everything else, you get what you pay for. 

None of us every really planned to wheel our JK's hard, but it's kind of a natural progression. 

I'd suggest he simply budget his money, get the best lift he can to insure his ride quality and frame geometry remain true, and stay with 17"s.   He should be able to stay under 3k pretty easily if he doesn't get carried away on wheels and tires.

18 inch rims and 18" tires are WAY more expensive than 17" and very limited in selection as well.

I agree with Larry (mostly).  You definitely get what you pay for.  However, I have had good luck with SkyJacker.  But, I spent the extra money and got their top of the line lift.  Bottom line....if you go too cheap, it will cost you more in the long run.  All vehicles leave the factory with the correct geometry.  As soon as you start lifting, adding bigger tires, etc, you lose that geometry and stuff starts wearing out.  If you get a lift with the correct parts, you can keep the factory angles (in theory) and avoid wearing things our prematurely.  I bought my JK with the intention of wheeling it hard.  I've done just that and it still drives down the road straight.  I can take my hands off the wheel at 55 MPH and it will track straight.  I drove mine 80 miles round trip everyday for 3 years.  I leave it in the garage more now cause the diesel truck gets better mileage, but it still drives pretty good considering the abuse it's taken!  I don't have any experience with the Rock Krawler lifts, but I've heard great things about them.

--

BONE

2008 JK Wrangler

SkyJacker 4.5" full flex / SkyJacker Adj. Control Arms / Tatton driveshafts / 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials / 15x8 Eagles / Rock Solid Fab front bumper / Smittybilt XRC-8 winch / Hellas / Custom built rear bumper - tire carrier / Aussie Locker

www.project-jk.com

June 23, 2011 at 12:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Bone, You are correct, my anti-skyjacker stance is based on poor performance from a value flex kit.  Cheap version.  NO JJ's, no adjustability.   Skyjacker does make some nice top-line stuff.  I figured I could go cheap cause I would not really be "off roading" much.  OOPS!   After installing my Synergy front's I've found a world of difference in ride quality, general steering consistency, and NO DEATH WOBBLE!!!

Bottom line is, BUY QUALITY!!!

--

June 23, 2011 at 10:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

Not trying to pusk RK per se, but you get good bang for the buck with them. I went TeraFlex, and would absolutly recommend the, but they do cost more. Synergy is same way. RK is still good quality but not quite as costly IMO

Although I agree with what Larry says too. I spent on my suspension and it really drives better than the day I bought it

June 23, 2011 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ
Great info guys I really appreciate it. I spent hours researching lifts before I lifted my WJ, but JK's have a lot more options when it comes to lifts and it makes it harder to narrow down. My buddy isn't very technically inclined and doesn't have the tools or the know how to work on his own stuff so I offered to help him find and install a lift. He likes the look of an 18, but I feel that he thinks an 18" tire gives it a more offroad/aggressive look. I had the 18" sahara wheels on my WJ, only because I couldn't find any 17's, I started pricing tires and I couldn't believe how much more they were than the 17. I'm not sure of his intentions with the jeep, but it will probably not see a lot of wheeling. Again thank you guys for all the info and keep posting!!
June 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

18s don't buy you anything off road unless you get into bigger tires. You see a lot of serious offroad rigs running 15. 15s and 17s are the most popular sizes for wheels by far. Much bigger wheels like 20s don't work well offroad. (unless you have 40+ tires). You don't want too big a wheel as when you air down you need rubber to wrap around the rocks for traction. You don't want too small a wheel or you have too much sidewall flex and get bouncy. What looks good and what works good are two different things

If he is not going to do a lot of wheeling, then he can probably get buy with a budget boost. But if he goes out and likes wheeling, then that won't suffice at all. Hard to say you know him better.

June 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Decipticon

larry finally my rig is on the road now, and since i put on tereflex drag link flip arm it brought my jeep back to the correct geometry, and now my jeep does not wonder anymore. its wonderful now !!!!!

June 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gabe Sconzert
Limited Member

I would suggest AEV as well.  Many people think that they are overpriced, but since you get a procal, high steer kit, and lift kit all in one it seems to come out to the same as other lifts.

I have to say that I will be going with a Rock Krawler on my next lift.  Thier long arm kit handled well on the road and flexed like a beast off the road.  Not to mention that they have a lifetime guarantee.  Can't say anything bad about that.  ;)

August 31, 2011 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Apr 17 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM