Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Trail Talk > Jeep Rollover

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Larry found this and asked me to post it.  Sometimes it doesn't take much to roll it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mcT2mnlBPQ&feature=player_embedded

June 27, 2011 at 1:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

Wow. Hope everyone was allright.

That was an XJ wasn't it?

Looks to me like he had a cooler up over the spare, had a 5-6" lift, and was top heavy. Did not appear to be aired down, was not locked in back,, and he didn't hit the gas or turn his wheels to the right and left. When he rolled back, his left rear tire hit a rut, and when it slid and hit the side of the rut with the wheel, the anguler momentum had to go somewhere and he flipped.

Did I get that right, know I am a noob but I do listen.

One reason I like the JKs, you don't need a big lift to fit 35s. Feel so sorry for him though

June 27, 2011 at 1:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

That was a TJ.  XJ's are Cherokees.

Yep, he let it slip back to far, hit the brakes, and his left rear wheel fell into a hole, causing him to tip.  Scary indeed.

Seeing stuff like that is making me lose my desire to do much more wheeling.  It's not so much "if" you roll, it's "when!"  ;-)

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

June 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

Meant YJ. Sorry

June 27, 2011 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Hemi at June 27, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Meant YJ. Sorry

No the YJ's have the square headlights, this was a TJ.

June 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

stuff happens, thats part of the thrill.

was all driver error, should have steered into it when backing up, also should have been in reverse, a foot full of throttle could have prevented that

June 28, 2011 at 10:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Casey, not my intention to scare people away from four wheeling.  Many people (at least a couple) have wheeled all their lives and never rolled.  I see this video as a great teaching tool: 

1.  Never take a trail for granted.  This guy had it made on the first try, but he gave up and let his jeep roll back too quickly.  (another reason to have an auto).  Like Super D says, complete driver error.  I know this guy is experienced, but frankly it was a stupid mistake that could have cost them their lives.  (the rollover, not the TJ...)

2.  Always have your seatbelts on.

3.  Always have a roll cage.

4.  always wheel with others.

5.  always have a first aid kit.

6.  Always be prepared to help others.

7.  Never mount a full cooler above your spare tire.  Raises your COG too much:)

I've watched hundreds of crashes on utube, trying to understand the basic dynamics of rollovers.  99% are driver related, and most could be avoided if people would go easy on the throttle, use a strap when in doubt, have a good spotter, and know your limits.

This is the worst one I've seen, yet Thank God the people survived.  It's also a tremendous example of the jeeping community pulling together to help, and some amazing winching going on.  We can all learn from this video.

Do I expect to roll someday?  Yes. That's why, piece by piece, I'm building my jeep to be prepared. Do I have to?  Probably not, and neither do you, so hang in there with us!

--

June 30, 2011 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Guys plain and simple he rolled back bumped something which caused the passenger side front suspension to unload  and since he was off-camber already and he was toast.  The only thing that he could have done was gas it but I doubt it would have helped.  His lift and the ice chest didn't really play that much of a roll here.   This is all the more reason if your wheeling hard stuff and steep stuff a cage is a wise investment so with that said give me a call when your ready for a real cage made out of DOM but don't expect it to be cheap :)

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

June 30, 2011 at 8:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Watch as he stops and notice the front suspension compress and then as he's rolling backwards it begins to unload and then when he stops it finishes unloading thus rolling him over.

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

June 30, 2011 at 8:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Decipticon

casey, COWBOY UP!!!!,  WHERE IS YOUR ADVENTURE,, we all do this knowing someday this might happen, hope it never does but we all take our own lives in our hands when we drive on the hwy, but the way we play its in a controlled enviroment and all have a say whether we want to climb the hill or not...

July 1, 2011 at 9:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Decipticon at July 1, 2011 at 9:21 AM

casey, COWBOY UP!!!!,  WHERE IS YOUR ADVENTURE,, we all do this knowing someday this might happen, hope it never does but we all take our own lives in our hands when we drive on the hwy, but the way we play its in a controlled enviroment and all have a say whether we want to climb the hill or not...

:P  Hee hee!

Oh, I don't know where my adventure has gone!!  As I get older, I enjoy sitting on the porch about as much as anything!!!  ;)

July 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NightStalker
Limited Member

WOW, nothing like bring up an old video... ;)  I've wheeled withthis guy and spoke with him extensively about this miss-hap.  His dog got the only injury but was fine.  He credits the 2 lbs of ice in the cooler for the rollover. J/K

When he lost traction, his foot slipped off of the brake as he tried to continue causing the rollback.  His bad line and the side camber to the hill was his demise.  Wider stance, longer wheelbase, and lighter syrofoam coolers make all of the difference.

--

1977 CJ7 Project Underway

July 5, 2011 at 2:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Good to see you on here Jason!

July 5, 2011 at 1:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday, Apr 20 All Day