Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > EJS 2012 - General Discussion > Moab Easter Jeep Safari-2012

We Be Rockin'

OK, we've all been talking about going to Moab for a long time.  It is the Mecca for off - roading and provides challenges found few other places.  I think 2012 is the year for Teresa and I.

The Easter Jeep Safari is one of, if not the, largest gathering of 4x4's in the country.  

Moab is a long way from here, roughly 23 hours, so getting there is the first challenge.  Trailering is almost a necessity unless you have a really plush riding jeep.  Flat towing or tow dolly are also options.

Planning is a necessity.   To get the trails you want, accommodations, etc, you must start planning now.  I joined Red Rock 4x4 so I'll be getting their newsletters, etc, which announce the dates, when you can register, etc, as well as providing the forms,etc.

A lot of people say they wouldn't want to go during Easter Jeep Safari because there are too many jeeps.  First of all, too many jeeps (4x4's) is just about impossible!  My thoughts are that it would be the BEST time for first timers, because everything is SO organized in order to faciliate success of the event.  They tell you when to be, where to be, and how to be, and provide trail guides, spotters, tail gunners, etc.  There are also numerous major vendors there to help fix and replace what breaks. 

If you are considering going, now is the time to start saving your penny's and doing your planning.  Registration happens in January, so if you are thinking about going,you'll need to be ready to commit at that time (financially). 

Trail choices are by lottery, so if we have a group going, we can either register for trail choices as a group or individually.  There are also special (vendor) trail runs that week, and forum runs (JKOwners) as well.  My plans include as many of these as time or luck or the draw permits or until I break something serious:   Pritchett's Canyon, Hell's revenge, Metal Masher, Poison Spider Mesa.   There is also a lady's only run in which the ladies must be the drivers, so for once they get to kick us out of the driver's seat.

Go out to: www.rr4w.com, read about the event, research the costs, check out the trails.  Start scheduling vacation time, and working on convincing the wife that Moab is a great place for the kids to hunt Easter eggs!!

If you are seriously considering going, post us so I can put you on a distribution list for planning information, important dates, etc.

Costs:  In addition to lodging, fuel costs, food costs, the actual event costs at the time of this writing are:

$50 per day per vehicle the first day, $40 per day each day thereafter.  With it being a 9 day event, probably very few folks would plan on staying for the entire time, but if you did it would just be $370.00 to run trails every day for 9 days, which really isn't bad.

More to come. 

Let's go play on the Red Rock!!

July 13, 2011 at 7:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

In reviewing the calendar for 2012, looks like the dates for the EJS will be March 31-April 8.

Distance from Bentonville is 1130 miles, 18.5 hours drive time, so depending on whether you team drive or do an overnight, you can kind of calculate your time and fuel consumption.

We are looking at coming up with 2 or more trailers capable of carrying 2-4 jeeps each.  Trailers will probably be pretty easy to find.  Challenge will be to find tow rigs, 1 ton or more, to pull them. 

That would allow groups either to drive out in more comfortable vehicles or even fly and meet up with the driving teams.

The airline that lands at the small Moab airport is Great Lakes airlines.

Grand Junction, CO, Airport:  120 miles

Salt Lake City, 240 miles.

Both Grand Junction and Salt Lake have several major airlines.

Bus Service and Amtrak both run from Green River Depot, which is 50 miles away.

Climate:  Average Temps in April are highs of 79 and lows of 41, so some warm clothes might be good to carry.  they've also had snow and 90's, but not at the same time, so be prepared.

In case you aren't up for 9 days of Jeeping (I know one spouse that won't be), there is mountain biking, hiking, whitewater rafting, a skate park, BMX park, City Pool, and even shopping!

July 13, 2011 at 11:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

I was going in 2010, for my 40th birthday which was april 10th, was going to be epic. sent for my info packet from the red rock wheelers november '09, it showed up the week after the event, they had a massive mailing error and hundreds of people were out of luck, was super depressed it never showed up. turned out it was a blessing in disguise though as my mother died the 11th and I would not have been able to spend the last week of her life with her.

I am very interested to try again in 2012, I've still got to get the engine in my dually so I can tow my Heep, I only have a 18 footer but may have some seats in the truck for the trip, depends on if my wife ends up going with me or not. I could haul a gooseneck with another rig if someone can come up with a trailer they can borrow and want to split fuel costs for the road trip.

keep me posted

July 14, 2011 at 11:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Sounds awesome!

What about the possibilty of Crawl 4 Christ being in Moab next year?  We couldn't do both....

Casey

July 14, 2011 at 5:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Hi Casey.  While that would be nice, it's just as likely it will be somewhere else based on the current discussion.  I actually think participating in EJS would really help us understand the mechanics and scope of pulling off a huge event, so we're going at least once next year, Lord willing.

--

July 14, 2011 at 5:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gabe Sconzert
Limited Member

Larry,

Count me in, but I will tell you now, that we need to be booking rooms out there NOW.  They fill up Very quickly.  If you are serious about this event, i fell likewe need to create a whole section that is dedicated to this trip.  There will be a lot of planning that needs to be done to ensure that we have a great and uneventful trip.

I have a buddy with a diesel that has offered to pull us there, now we just need a trailer big enough for two rigs.  And a whole lot of other people putting their name in the hat.

July 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Decipticon

i can get my hands on three trailers, two of them are two car haulers bumper pull, and the other on is a gooseneck it will haul three or four, and about rooms i was thinking about rented houses...

July 18, 2011 at 3:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

If I can get towed, count me in

July 18, 2011 at 7:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gabe Sconzert
Limited Member

Rick - How much did you figure gas would cost for each vehicle towing a trailer and two rigs?  was it around $800 - $900?

July 20, 2011 at 11:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

my gas dually will suck down around 1500-2000$ for the round trip

July 21, 2011 at 11:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

I have added a new section to our forum for planning of the 2012 EJS trip.  If you click the "Nornal" view link at the top of the forum page you will see the new section. When you post find the category that fits your post.  If I need to add more categories just let me know.

July 24, 2011 at 4:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

The wife and I have been trying to figure our next long vacation.  This might be it!  I have a diesel tow rig, so I'm covered there.  Still looking for a trailer.  We'll definitely kick it around and let you know.

--

BONE

2008 JK Wrangler

SkyJacker 4.5" full flex / SkyJacker Adj. Control Arms / Tatton driveshafts / 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials / 15x8 Eagles / Rock Solid Fab front bumper / Smittybilt XRC-8 winch / Hellas / Custom built rear bumper - tire carrier / Aussie Locker

www.project-jk.com

July 26, 2011 at 12:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Moab Planning meeting, November 8, 7-8 p.m.   mark your calendars and we'll announce the location soon.  Anyone interested is welcome to attend.

Topics:  Who all is going?

Trailers, we have them, Trucks, needed.   How to get the trucks.

Travel schedule

Trip deposits, let's get caught up.

Parts and part transportation

Red Rock 4 wheelers update

--

November 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

OK, we'll be meeting at Nathan Nelson's house tomorrow night for a Moab update meeting.  We'll have snacks and drinks.  7-8 p.m.    Will post directions tomorrow.  In general about a mile north of tunbridge.

November 7, 2011 at 11:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Nathans address: 503 SW Tunbridge Bentonville.

Directions:  From Highway 102:  Turn North on Tunbridge (at Beef o'Brady's), house is on right  shortly after passing 8th street.  

From Highway 72:  Turn south on Tunbridge, house is on left approx. 9th or 10th house.  

November 8, 2011 at 5:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Well, We did it.   Jeff and Carolyn, Nathan and Sara , Hemi, Mike and Sheila, and Philip and Darla Walton all made the Trip to Moab.  Lot's of amazing video and pictures are being posted.  We'll be doing a write up on the trip, actual costs/mileage/and key issues you'll need to be prepared for as we begin to plan our trip for next year.   You need to go, it's an awesome place for four wheelers to play.

For starters, towing takes about 22 hours, not 18.  the pull through the mountains on the other side of Denver was the toughest, over Loveland Pass, and down the other side of the hill.   Need to take 2 days to avoid serious Jeep lag.  Again, it was awesome and worth the drive.   More to come.

April 10, 2012 at 11:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

posted 120 pictures today in the photo gallery under MOAB EASTER JEEP SAFARI 2012.   photo's cover:  Hemi and I making our way across the country (1110 miles), 22 hours and 48 minutes.   Diesel was pretty reasonable, about 4.00 on average.  Interestingly, as we were heading out, which is pretty much all uphill, we averaged 10.2 miles per gallon, pulling right at our maximum capacity of 14,000 lbs. on the bumper.   Coming back, which is supposedly downhill, we averaged 9.9 miles per gallon, but I can tell you for sure we were picking them up and putting them down on the way back.

To give Teresa a break from the long ride, on the way we dropped her off at Tulsa airport and she met us in Denver, then Denver to Tulsa on the way back, so she only had about 9 hours of riding.   Denver to Moab was all hills and took us about 7 hours.   That's also where the beautiful scenery starts.   The ski resorts were in full stride, the rivers and creeks along the road were roaring, people were rafting, kayaking, Mt. biking.  

One of the coolest things about being in Moab during the Jeep Safari was that nearly every vehicle we encountered was a jeep, buggy, truggy, juggy, toy, suzuki, or truck.   So many cool rigs, some highly modified 6 figure rigs with every expensive modification you could imagine.  $3000.00 lights, $12k steering, turbo's, superchargers, 3k shocks, apiece!   Then also lots of home grown rigs, home built, using junk parts, scrounged up axles, wheels, even tires.  

And everything in between.  Stock rigs to jeeps on 44's.

One of the most interesting things we found were the pretty loose adherence to the rules regarding fenders and windshields there was.   We all worked diligently to insure we had all the requisite gear and I was concerned we might even get in trouble for not having enough of our tires covered.  Nope.   we were great, and Moab was a great little town.

Teresa and I rented a nice little cottage called the Stella Ruby cottage, with a covered carport and a concrete floor, which I ended up using quite a bit.  Unfortunately I tried to do just too much in preparing for the trip, and ended up having a lot of stuff left to do even when we got there...   Unfortunately two important parts I needed on were not actually correct for my rig, so I ended up without a drag link or shock brackets ready to go.   Fortunately I was able to work with a local company, Trail Ridge Offroad, to get the draglink delivered, but we ended up not being able to find the right shock brackets and ended up running the trails on worthless shocks.

Note to self, for next year, be ready two weeks in advance.

More to come...

More to come.

--

April 12, 2012 at 11:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

So, we arrived in Moab Sat afternoon, around 3.  Everybody was getting settled in.    Jeff and I were working on getting the right side control arms in the rear.    Jeep was on the trailer and we had great access to under and around it, but also knocked our noggins pretty good a couple of times.

Jeff, Nathan, and Hemi ran Fin's and Things Sunday while I worked to finish up my remaining suspension issues and one of them will have to pick up how it and Metal Masher ran as I attempted to work through the rest of my mess.  Pritchett Canyon was my first trail, a 9 rated little jaunt up a beautiful  valley with the occasionally constant awesome rock formations and obstacles.  Lots of video's on NJNELSON1 on you tube.

The Western rating system is 1-10 and at 9, Pritchett is considered one of the most challenging in Utah. 

In my opinion, and the rest of the guys are free to chime in, while it was challenging, it was more the quantity of obstacles than  the individual difficulty of a single obstacle that made the trail so great. 

I would say that our club runs some obstacles in our  local parks that are as difficult or more so, but combine several miles of obstacles and stick them in a beautiful setting of red rock and you've got a great trip.

Jeff picked up a nick name (which I will not mention here) regarding his attacking Pritchett on 35's.  by trails end he had earned the respect of the trail leader and proven that a well built, well driven JK can conquer the hardest trail in Moab, even on 35's!

The next day on Metal Masher, we actually went out of our way to take the more challenging bypasses until we got called down by the trail leader as other people in lesser vehicles attempted to follow us without success.  I would say the CC4x4 made quite an impression on that group.  Check out some of the video's and pics where we got to the point of head on assaults of 6-8 foot ledges and multi-steps, narrow passes, etc.  mirror Pass was a cool, extra skinny cut in the rocks with multi-steps and rises.   Traction was so superior on the rocks that you could pretty much count on the tires sticking wherever you put them.  Awesome! 

More Later.

--

April 21, 2012 at 1:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen
Limited Member

Sounds like it was a great place to go. Maybe one day I will add that to my list of places to go, but for now my goal is to get a dependable off road toy. :)

--

91 YJ, AMC 360, 33"x13.50" Swamper LTBs, QuadraJunk Trans Case, SOA lift, 4.5" lift springs,  4.88 gears, Spartan locker up front, 8.8 with discs in the rear, Rock Solid Fab Rock Rails

-Allen C Wendling

April 21, 2012 at 10:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

I posted up some pictures from Steel bender and from Golden Spike.  Awesome trip.  The flatty with us was on 28" tires that were about 20 years old.... we had a blast.  He made it through golden spike and steel bender... sometimes with some coersion... and a few times with go arounds.... but it was really cool.  The picture on golden spike overlooking moab with the flatty on the edge is awe inspiring.

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

April 25, 2012 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

April Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10