Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Transfer Case

Allen
Limited Member

I am unsure on determining which transfer case my Jeep has in it.  I bought the jeep as a started YJ V8 swap.  All I do know is that I have a AMC 360 and a 727 auto tranny.  I can only seem to find three different clicks in the Trans case.  I am thinking it is an all time case, but I am not sure.  I have to crawl under it right now to shift it, because I do not have a shifter hooked up in the cab.  The other problem is when I do have it in a high range only the front driveline turns and no rear pulling power.  If it is locked into low range I have both front and rear pulling power.  Can anyone help me with my issues?  I think the trans case is a New Process, but the tag has been removed for some wierd reason.   The front drop is on the drivers side of the case.  I am trying to think of every detail I can about the case.  I do not have any pics of it, but if someone can help more with them I will try and get some.  Thanks for the help

March 30, 2009 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Sounds like you have a Quadra-trac system.  I'll bet the whole drivetrain (engine, tranny, transfer case) came from an older full-size Jeep, such as a Wagoneer.  Most of those vehicles had full-time 4WD, with only a 4HI, N, and 4LO selection.  The problem with these cases, as you've discovered, is that power is not distributed equally to the front and rear outputs when in 4HI, so if you have the front driveline removed, all power is shifted to the front.

I can't recall off the top of my head the model number of the older Quadra-trac cases, but my '93 Grand Cherokee had a 249 full-time case.  I don't think yours is a 249, though.

Research what would have been used in an 82 Cherokee Chief FSJ, and you should find your answer.

Casey

March 31, 2009 at 10:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen
Limited Member

Thanks for the help.  So does this mean that if I get the front drive line in that I have 4x4?  I really appreciate the help you have given me.  I have been doing alot of research with little luck. I figured it propaly came out of a wagoneer, but I was unsure.  This is my first Jeep.  I have found that there is a 219 that is a all time 4x4 with a viscous coupling.  If I understand that right it has to have friction against something to get it engage things correctly which explains why I do not have any pulling power with the front driveline.  I really appreciate your help.

March 31, 2009 at 8:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Yeah, if you install the front driveline, you should have power to all the wheels.

My '93 Grand had a viscous coupling which had failed.  That was a good thing for off-roading, since it locked up and sent power to front and rear equally.  When the VC works properly, it acts as a limited slip differential, where it will allow slippage between the front and rear so it won't bind up so bad when you turn the front wheels from left to right.

BTW...I think I emailed you about your Jeep a while back.  I saw it on Craigslist.  Pretty cool Jeep!

Casey

March 31, 2009 at 10:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen
Limited Member

I bought it off Craigslist and got mad cause of all the work I was having to do and was going to sell it but since I got to drive it around this weekend my hopes have went up and I want to keep it.   The quadratrac has me confused.  Is it a Borg-Warner 1339 or the NP219?  I am going to see if the transmission is for sure a 727 or a turbo 400?  I have a chevy truck with a 400 turbo so I am going to compare trans pans to see what I have.  That might help some.  I do see the pros and cons to the viscous coupling.  It will be odd to have a Wrangler with all time 4x4 though.  I dont plan on driving it down the highway that much anyhow.  Does anyone know if someone makes a shifter kit for this trans case or I am going to be best finding a junk yard Wagoneer and robbing its shifter?   I really appreciate everyones help on here.

April 1, 2009 at 7:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

April Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10