Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Other > Any Club Groupings - Moderate, hardcore etc..

Toyotagregg
Limited Member

Are there any groupings in the club as far as experience and rig type?  My previous club had Moderates, Hardcore and Extreme groups to help people better enjoy the trail.  I've notice a lot of what I would call "expedition" type vehicles on here, good both on road and off.  My rigs trailered everywhere and while it is tagged and insured , driving over 35 isn't very fun.  So what are the rules or guidelines used to get people with the right group if there are any?  I personally could do without fearing for my life with super extreme types, but I don't mind body damage and love technical crawling.

--

87 4Runner, Stock Engine, Low Gears, Big Tires...And One Awesome Rattle Can Paint Job!

August 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

While we don't have any official groupings like you mention, we do have various types of rigs here.  Most of the hardcore rig guys don't post much, but we have several of the big rig guys who go with us to the club runs.  A lot of the times we break into two groups at the trails themselves, but sometimes we all hang together.  For example, this past weekend we had guys on the trail like me, mostly stock with 31" tires, and folks like Judy Austin, who was driving her buggy with Rockwells.

Justin, Stan, Brian, and others all have rigs that they trailer to the off-road areas and hit the hard stuff.  The rest of us usually clump together to hit the medium stuff.  I will usually trailer my TJ, even though it's perfectly road legal.  I do that so that in case I break something, I can get it home with minimal fuss.  Also, the puny 2.5L just doesn't push me down the road very fast!

By far the most active group of 4x4 owners on this forum are the daily driver types.

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

August 2, 2011 at 11:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

While most of the posts on the forum are from daily driver type rigs we have a good number of about every build level in the club.  I would love to find more ways to get more rigs out on the trails.  When I took over as president one of my priorities ws to grow club membership of all rig types in hopes of having enough of each group to have opportunities for everyone.  That is one reason we started the Member Rigs page so folks could see we have rigs of every build. 

In the last three years we have grown from about 20 members to eighty currently.  We have averaged four new members a month this year!  I have tried to get some member volunteers from each build group to help plan trail rides, so far there has not really been an interest from anyone to do this.  We try to choose trail destinations that have something for every build, then, if we have enough show up for the ride to split into groups we do that.  When we ran Cass back in the Spring I lead a level 2/3 group and we had another 3/4 group.

Love to know more about how the Trailchasers handled this. 

August 3, 2011 at 12:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

I'm one of the more hardcore guys (Justin) along with Stan, Bo, Brian, and Clayton.  Brian is currently down after selling his Jeep and getting ready to start a buggy.    We will probably start back up in September and we run harder more techinical trails.  We usually go to Clayton,OK in the fall sometime and will probably hit Cass again this fall, but Stan is usually our organizer.  If you wanna run with us that is fine but you need to be locked front and rear, have a winch, HD steering, and some skids.   We do get in some nasty stuff.   My TJ is on one-tons and 39.5" tires.

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

August 3, 2011 at 2:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Toyotagregg
Limited Member

The trailchasers have a Stock/Moderate-Hardcore-Extreme breakdown that works OK.  When I first ran with them in 2003 almost all the rigs were stock or minimally modified except for the Zuk buggies.  Membership grew with new members being able to use their stock rigs to start out without any modifications.  But in the last few years the Trailchasers became decidely more hardcore/extreme with no stock rigs and only a handful of moderates.  The core group including myself all went to 38's and above on tire size and the trail runs became very damaging (but fun!).  Membership stagnated at first and then began to decline as new members were discouraged from running with the larger hardcore groups due to possible damage to their vehicle and a few members worried about how it would limit the trail difficulty we could tackle.

The extreme guys are in another league, Phil Bargman from the 2005 Top Truck is in that group on 47" LTBs and while I've run with them its definitely a group that likes danger and breakage...not my cup of tea.

So I guess what I'm saying is the system works and the trailchasers are a great club, BUT the division into classes definitely makes it harder to get new members in because they want to run with the experienced guys and those guys usually move up in class over time...Very long explanation I know.

Justin, I'd love to run with you guys.  I'm ARB'd  and SAS'd in the front, spooled in the rear, dual transfers with 488:1 reduction, Hyd assist, full exo cage, fuel cell, harnesses, beadlocked, 39.5 IROKs, .250" wall longtravel driveshafts and of course I have a winch up front.  I also carry two spare 3rd members, two spare driveshafts, 4 spare spare axles and a full size spare.

--

87 4Runner, Stock Engine, Low Gears, Big Tires...And One Awesome Rattle Can Paint Job!

August 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Rig sounds good to me.  I'll post up next time we are going somewhere.

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

August 3, 2011 at 11:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Toyotagregg
Limited Member

vbtj at August 3, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Rig sounds good to me.  I'll post up next time we are going somewhere.

Unfortunately I'm still in Japan but I'll be back Aug 22nd. 

--

August 4, 2011 at 1:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

April Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10