Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Other > Dana "Super" 30 anyone know what it is???

NWA_WJ
I am looking to lock my front axle in my '01 Grand Cherokee. I am going to do an automatic lunchbox locker. The issue that I have is 4wd.com shows my front axle to be a Dana 30 TJ short pinion while Randy's Ring and Pinion shows it to be a Dana "super" 30. I have researched this without much luck. I know my front axle shafts differ from a TJ as TJ's have axle shafts w/u-joints. My axle shafts use cv joints. I am also trying to decide between an Aussie locker and a Lock Rite. Someone told me the Lock Rite had a lifetime warranty?? Any input, advice, recommendations, or direction with either problem would be greatly appreciated. My Grand Cherokee is my DD and my wife drives it occasionally. Thanks guys
--

2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 3" Iron Rock Offroad lift, 17" JK Moab wheels, 32" BFG M/T KM's, Detroit TrueTrac LSD front, Spartan locker rear

August 4, 2011 at 1:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

muddyredneck
Limited Member

not sure on the 30 i think it has to do with ring gear size  i would not recomend a auto locker in the front on a DD 

--

servants of the most high ...not rockstars

August 4, 2011 at 3:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

collinsbronco
Limited Member

I found this... not much help probably...

Dana 30 (186FBI)

The Front Beam Iron (FBI) axle consists of a cast iron differential housing with axle shaft tubes extending from either side. The tubes are pressed into the differential housing and welded. The axles are semi-floating supported by the hub bearings. The axle shafts are retained by nuts at the hub bearings.

2.5 pts. (40 +/- 1 oz)

Bolt torque:

Fill Plug: 25 Ft. Lbs.

Cover Bolts: 30 Ft. Lbs.

Axle Ratio:

3.55, 3.73

Axle shaft:

27-spline, 1.16-inch thick

1999:

Thermally stable SAE 80W-90 gear lube

Mopar® P/N 04874468

1999-2004:

SAE 75W-140 Synthetic

Mopar® P/N 04874469

NOTE: Trac-lok and Vari-lok equipped axles require 2.5 ounces of Limited Slip Additive be added to the lubricant.

Trac-lok for the front axle is available only with (and included with) all QuadraDrive systems

--

2000 XJ Sport, 4 1/2 lift,Dana 30, 8.25 rear, NP231,STANO front bumper, rear bumper in progress, TJ Moab wheels, ZJ V8 steering. In the process of front hoop, tires, fender trimming.

WANTED

**ZJ rear gas tank skid, KJ Liberty rear disc brakes**

August 4, 2011 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

collinsbronco
Limited Member

WJ HP D30.Notes: Stronger the earlier D30's. Not a bad axle with 33" or smaller tires. Many people upgrade this axle with 30 spline axles and lockers. The upgrade many times is known as a SUPER 30 kit. The u-joints are the main weak point and can be easily upgraded.

--

2000 XJ Sport, 4 1/2 lift,Dana 30, 8.25 rear, NP231,STANO front bumper, rear bumper in progress, TJ Moab wheels, ZJ V8 steering. In the process of front hoop, tires, fender trimming.

WANTED

**ZJ rear gas tank skid, KJ Liberty rear disc brakes**

August 4, 2011 at 6:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

if your front diff is the vari-lock or trac-lock you cant put a lunch box locker in without changing to an open carrier.

give me your VIN or call the dealer with it and check to see, or just pull the cover and look

and a auto locker is fine in the front as long as its not full time 4wd

August 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ
My Grand isn't full time 4 wheel drive. As far as I know it isn't a vari-lock or trac-lock. I am aware that you have to have an open carrier for a lunch box locker. I would rather do a selectable locker, but with the huge difference in price and not having to reset the gears it is a better option for me for now. Dave I will pm you with my VIN. I appreciate you doing that. Thanks guys.
--

2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 3" Iron Rock Offroad lift, 17" JK Moab wheels, 32" BFG M/T KM's, Detroit TrueTrac LSD front, Spartan locker rear

August 5, 2011 at 2:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

PM'd you back Brandt

August 5, 2011 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ

Thanks Dave for all your help.  The NV242 Selec-trac transfercase has 5 options-2wd, 4 part time, 4 full time, Neutral, and 4 lo.  I found dana's website, found my bill of material on the D30, and according to their website it is an open carrier.  However it shows that the rear axle is an open carrier.  I am pretty sure it is a limited slip.  I guess when I service it within the next couple of weeks I will find out for sure.  

--

August 6, 2011 at 11:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Sunday, Apr 20 All Day
Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5