Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Lift kit and Traction Control

Ozark Red Rubi
Limited Member
I have a new 2011 JK Rubicon. The dealer installed a 2" daystar lift. I am running 33"s and overall it runs great. Over here in Eureka on the windy road it attempts to correct me when I am steering even if I turn traction control off at the dash. It actually makes taking sharp turns more difficult. I know I'm talking about street driving but this has me concerned about wheeling too. Any ideas of a fix?
--

God made dirt and dirt don't hurt.

August 5, 2011 at 12:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Toyotagregg
Limited Member

I got curious and started searching the internet on the issue, apparently a very common issue indeed!  I read one post where the steering wheel wasn't centered and another where the sway bar was disconnected, but the best one is by a jeep technician.  The link is below.  He says the lift requires the system to be disabled and gives directions on how to disable it without any hardware changes.  You have to click on see answer to be able to see his replies.    

Sounds like an easy fix....I can't believe I just said that....Good luck! =/

Gregg-

http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/59no2-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-traction-control-kicking.html#SeeTheAnswer

--

87 4Runner, Stock Engine, Low Gears, Big Tires...And One Awesome Rattle Can Paint Job!

August 5, 2011 at 4:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

I went through this on my 2010 after it was lifted and it turned out to be the steering wheel wasn't centered. The fix is to get an alignment. Did you get bigger tires?

August 5, 2011 at 7:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ozark Red Rubi
Limited Member

Hemi, how can you tell if the steering wheel is off center - I have tried braking and there is absolutely no pull - stops dead straight, so I think my alignment is OK. I'm checking on the link with the dealership. Honestly lifted rigs are new to me. I've beenn jeeping since I was a kid and have never had a lifted one until the 2008 I traded in on this one. It did the same thing but the dealer wasn't very helpful becuase I bought it used. I wonder how it would affect winter driving to permanently disable it like the link indicated. 

Every day I take a turn off the pavement as I head home - I climb up the hill and take a moderate left and the stability control kicks in - it feels like my rear wheels are sliding uphill - I never had this happen with my FJ that also had electronic stability control.

BTW - the stock tires were 32" and I have 33"

--

August 5, 2011 at 1:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

When you are sitting still with your front wheel pointed straight ahead your stearing wheel should be pointer straight ahead as well ( the word JEEP on your steering wheel should be level)  You should not be having a problem if the dealership installed everything correctly.  I had a similar 2.5" lift on my JK and never had a problem, then I installed a 3.25" kit and didn't recenter the steering wheel and it did exactly the same thing yours is doing.  I also had a similar problem when my rear track bar bracket broke but don't think that is very likely in your case.  I would take it back to the dealership and have them make it right.

August 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ozark Red Rubi
Limited Member
I'm at Ye dealer this morning and they are checking the steering wheel alignment and checking the computer read out for reasons. The tech here told me that disabling it is probably a good option for me because I will go through more breakes with it locking up on curves like that. So we'll see how it goes.
--

August 6, 2011 at 10:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Unless there is something different in the 2011 models you should not have a problem with only a 2" lift and 33's.  I have not heard of anyone in our club having to turn this off and we have about 20 JK's in the club now and many are one 33-35" tires and 3-4" lift.  You might look on JK-FORUM.com or JKOWNERS.com and see what some of them are saying.  You might also call Daystar and see if others have had these kind of issues with their 2" lift.

August 6, 2011 at 10:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ozark Red Rubi
Limited Member
I've been searching the forums - lots of opinions about ESP. I agree that my lift shouldn't be an issue. Due to several compounding issues I had to leave the jeep at the dealer Saturday. Today they called and told me that the computer. Not sure exactly what that means. A poster on the JK forum told me that they computer can be programmed to accommodate my 33s - so I'm calling to ask about that in the morning. Has anyone with lift and larger tires heard about programing the computer for them?
--

August 8, 2011 at 11:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'
ORR, the jeep can certainly be reprogrammed to accurately indicate tire speed, fuel mileage, I think the dealer is copping out recommending disconnecting your traction control. I would recommend a good alignment to start with. that eliminated 95% of my antilock brake action. Don't give up! sometimes it takes a few try's to get these irritating little idiosyncrasies figured out!
August 9, 2011 at 12:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ

I know the guy that owns 4wheel concepts in bentonville.  I will give him a call tomorrow and see if he has any input on this issue.  I worked as a Tech at a local Ford dealership for 5 years and I know how they work.  The service advisors and managers and even some techs think they know more than everyone else and if the customer is a woman then they definately think they do.  They often overlook the simple things and they are often set in thier ways.  So if they are old school then they believe that stability control is not needed.  I will post back tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

--

2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 3" Iron Rock Offroad lift, 17" JK Moab wheels, 32" BFG M/T KM's, Detroit TrueTrac LSD front, Spartan locker rear

August 9, 2011 at 1:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ozark Red Rubi
Limited Member

Thanks so much! I kinda feel like since I paid for all those features that I would like them all to work:)

--

August 9, 2011 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ
Exactly, you paid for those features and they should work. Unfortunately I had a busy day at work and was unable to call 4 wheel concepts. I have a lot of drive time tomorrow and should be able to get a hold of them.
--

2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 3" Iron Rock Offroad lift, 17" JK Moab wheels, 32" BFG M/T KM's, Detroit TrueTrac LSD front, Spartan locker rear

August 9, 2011 at 10:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ozark Red Rubi
Limited Member

They brought the jeep back to me yesterday afternoon and there is no change. Basically the service manager has said that I can live with the crazy braking or disconnect it. For 2011 models Jeep has added a safety warning tone so if you choose to disconnect EPS you will get a warning tone every time you brake to a complete stop (like at a stop sign) This cannot be disabled. 

I'm kind of frustrated with their unwillingness to figure it out. On the JK Forum I was advised to get a Procal Module and program it myself/

--

August 10, 2011 at 12:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ
The Procal Module is made by AEV and is $150 through their site. It allows you to do quite a few things. Here is their link http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/procal_module/ I'm sure if you were to purchase something like this and needed any help with installation, I could help you or someone from the club would be able to help.
--

August 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

I would call Pro-Cal first and ask them if this would correct your ESP problem.  I am doubtfull that it would.  I know it "updates" the computer to tell it tire size, and gear size if it is different than stock but I'm not sure how this information effects the ESP.  I have a pro-cal but I'm running 35" tire and 5.13 gears and I think it has more to do with shift points and speedometer than it does ESP.  Also I didn't have an issue with ESP before I got the pro-cal module except when my steering wheel was not centered after my last lift install.

August 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kahuna Mas
Limited Member

I have this as an ongoing issue and I can tell you this. In my case its all about how centered the steering wheel is. My track bar slips in the bracket ever so slightly when turning under pressure (maybe a total of a half-inch) which causes my steering wheel to move from center to about 5 degrees off center. Somehow the ESP picks up this change and will kick off when I start moving around a corner or bend.

Because of this the system registers that my wheels are turned but the steering isnt thus it thinks its sliding.

If you have any play in the steering then I would think that would be the cause. If your steering is tight, then you may want to ensure its truly center.

--

August 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

I have to agree - I don't think a procal will help the esp at all.

I still think it has to do with centering the steering wheel, Could be the trackbar too, and centering the axle. Castor, camber could also affect it. I took mine to Norms tire shop here in Bentonville for an alignment and that fixed it

August 10, 2011 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Hey Rubi, If you could come by the shop tomorrow morning the guys could help you get your steering lined up and make sure your track bar, drag link, and tie rod are all properly torqued.   I'd also recommend Norms do your alignment and possibly set your Castor postive a little.  They do a lot of modified jeeps.  This made a huge difference in my rigs drivibility.

--

August 12, 2011 at 10:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ozark Red Rubi
Limited Member

Hi Larry - That sounds great. So it opens at 10:00? I'm coming from Eureka and not super familiar with the area - so if I come in on Hudson (102) it's just a couple of blocks past the 540- right?

--

August 12, 2011 at 2:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ

Rick coordinates all the shop days.  Rick and others are planning to be there at 10.  The shop is located behind 4 star auto sales at 1403 Southeast Moberly lane.  4 star auto sales is behind the Sonic at the intersection of Moberly Lane and 14th Street (highway 102).

--

August 12, 2011 at 4:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Sunday, Apr 20 All Day
Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5