Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Other > CB help!!

NWA_WJ
I am new to the CB world so I know very little about it. I am trying to piece together a system for my WJ. I am looking at the cobra 75 WX ST. I Believe this is the same cb that Randy is using, I like it b/c there isn't a good place to mount a cb in my WJ and with it being a remote mount I can just disconnect the transceiver when not in use. I have found an antenna mount that will work. I need advice on the antenna itself though. What brand/length should I run? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
--

2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 3" Iron Rock Offroad lift, 17" JK Moab wheels, 32" BFG M/T KM's, Detroit TrueTrac LSD front, Spartan locker rear

August 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Toyotagregg
Limited Member

If the CB is a 50 Ohm unit you'll need an 18' cable to keep the system in its proper resistance range.  I've broken many antennas on the trail but I've found that a spring base and a Wilson 3' fiberglass (thin) antenna with an adjustable wire tip works well and holds up well on the trail.  The adjustable tip lets you tune the antenna for best performance, all you need is a swr meter.  Wilson antennas are very common and high quality.  I've had the thicker fiberglass antennas on a spring mount but eventually they break.  If you get an antenna with an adjustable tip be sure to use a tape or a zip tie to secure the cap on, you need it to protect the tip and trees are always trying to rip it off. 

Big truckstops are a good place to get this equipment...

--

87 4Runner, Stock Engine, Low Gears, Big Tires...And One Awesome Rattle Can Paint Job!

August 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

I run a 3' firestik on mine, first determine where you are gonna mount it and make sure it's at least 4-6" taller than your roof line, also the farther away from metal the better, you'll get better reception & output power.

I have never in my 42 years seen a broken firestik, they would make a good weapon if the need arises, also the cap will not come off until you really want it off and even then it will take some doing

August 30, 2011 at 5:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

pilot in springdale has a lot of stuff to choose from

August 30, 2011 at 5:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

muddyredneck
Limited Member

x2 on the firestick

--

servants of the most high ...not rockstars

August 30, 2011 at 6:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Apr 17 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM