Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Ministry Events > 1988 yj

duke 2001
Limited Member
Ok I'm looking at trading my zj for a yj. You guys know more about jeeps than I do . So heres the specs of the yj it's got the 4.2 liter ,4.5 inches of lift with 35s. And it's a 5 speed . How do these rigs do off road ?
August 29, 2011 at 10:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David
Limited Member
Has the motor been replaced, or is it stock? Does it have SYE, and/or a CV driveshaft? With that much lift and size tires, those are a must have. Not that I'm an expert, but even on the buckhorn trail at devils den, fuel injection comes in real handy. I think, correct me folks if I'm wrong, a 92 would would have FI.
--
03 Rubicon (Thanks Larry!), 4" suspension lift, IRO front trackbar, BFG AT's 33x12.5x15 on 15x10 steelies.
August 30, 2011 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

I wouldn't trade for a YJ with the 4.2 unless it has a fuel injection conversion on it.  I hate carburetors, and the 4.2 only came with a carb.  If you do any steep hill climbs, you'll have issues keeping it running and not flooding out.

Also, the YJ uses leaf springs, which usually means a stiffer ride and less flexing.  I prefer TJ's with coil springs, and all engines are fuel injected.

Casey

August 30, 2011 at 2:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

I believe '92 is the first year for fuel injection...and yes, I highly suggest making sure it's fuel injected.

My personal taste is to stick between 92 and 94 because :

1- Fuel injection

2- Galvanized body panels (less rust compared to CJs)

3- Leaf springs are easier to set up a suspension with as a first build up vehicle.

4- Depending on how high you want to go the lifts can be pretty cheap. 

5- Those nifty square headlights!  (ok, maybe I really like the rounds better... )

Your mileage may vary.

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

August 30, 2011 at 4:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10