Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Parts Wanted > WTB: Specialty services and Misc parts

Flexer

So... I _finally_ got the thumbs up from the Boss to build up a rock buggy.... :D8)

I knew I should have gotten those nice bucket seats from a month or so back... :roll:

I'm looking for some top notch service folks and some random parts that I haven't yet gathered...

I've already gotten a lot of good advice but I'm always up for suggestions.  I've seen a few folks post up about buliding buggies... so I know you're out there somewhere!....

Services I'm looking for:

- I'm looking for a chip burner.  I'll need someone to reprogram the computer once I'm done.  I'm in conversation with a guy online in NC, but I'd rather stay local unless they can't do the job right. 

- I'm looking for a transmission genius.... that can basically build race transmission... I have the tranny, I know what I want, I'm looking for a top notch builder.  I've called about all the places in the NWA area and the only place that says they'll touch it is AAMCO...Anyone have a serious transmission guy up their sleeve anywhere near NWA?

- I'm also going to need a drive shaft guy ... is there a shop somewhere in NWA worth going to?

Parts I'm interested in:

- High quality seats  (still kickin' myself)

- 8 lug wheels and tires I can use for mock up.  Can be total crud tires and wheels but have to be 38" - 40".  Prefer 17" rims too.

Opportunity for some fellowship and a learning experience:

- If anyone wants to learn how to set up gears I'll be doing that next weekend ... parts should arrive sometime mid week. I doubt I can finish both axles in a day... but I'll at least get started.

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

September 30, 2011 at 9:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Give Mark Adkins a call, he's a club member and owns Adkins 4x4 in Siloam Springs.  I think he might be able to do the programing for you.  He can probably help with locating the other help you need as well.  Mark's number is 918-422-9948.

I'm definatley up for learning how to set up gears.  Let us know what time next weekend.

September 30, 2011 at 10:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Let me know if you need any tabs or brackets cut as I have a Torchmate CNC plasma cutter with a Hypertherm 45 on it.   I can cut up to 3/8" plate with it.  

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

September 30, 2011 at 10:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ
I have a very good friend who has built just about everything. He was working for a local guy building custom hotrods/muscle cars until he became a tool dealer. He knows a lot of people in the area that may be able to help. I will call him tomorrow and let you know what he says. What are you planning on using for an engine?
--

2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 3" Iron Rock Offroad lift, 17" JK Moab wheels, 32" BFG M/T KM's, Detroit TrueTrac LSD front, Spartan locker rear

September 30, 2011 at 11:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ
Also what tranny are you using? I would also be interested in being there when you do your gears. I could use a refresher course!!
--

2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 3" Iron Rock Offroad lift, 17" JK Moab wheels, 32" BFG M/T KM's, Detroit TrueTrac LSD front, Spartan locker rear

September 30, 2011 at 11:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mud diver
Limited Member
You should check with hotwired . Com they are based out of mena Arkansas they do all the custom harness and computers for jeep and buggy engine swaps
October 1, 2011 at 12:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

mud diver
Limited Member
I also have a nice set of tj bucket seats just recovered you can see them under my add jeep stuff for sale
October 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

Thanks for the contacts I'll give Mark a call in the next few days and please do give me the contact you have for a hotrod builder...hot rodders have all the best ideas for power/weight ratio... :-)  I would think a 350 should be right up their alley.

I've got an OBD2 logger on the way that can save OBD2 readings to a CSV file so I can help a tuner figure out what to set up for low end torque.  I plan to log things before I start stripping the donor.  At least I'll have a baseline for future comparison.

I plan to start on the gears at about 8AM next Sat.  I'll PM phone/directions for anyone that wants to show.  I'll have coffee to share as well. 

NWA_WJ...

My donor is a '99 chevy K2500 4x4 with a 5.7L (350) Vortec and 4L80E tranny.  The 241C tcase will be up for sale once I start tear-down on the donor.

Other info...

I've already built up a 203/205 based on offroad design's adapter for 4:1 (and 2:1) tcase. I plan to use the 241C's VSS sensor and tone ring from the donor and put that in the tail of the 205 to get a VSS for the computer.

I actually am just today finishing my home-built torchmate.  Hopefully I'll have it at 100% complete with all the bugs worked out by the time I'm ready for custom tabs...

The seats I'm looking for will have 5 pt harness slots ...I'm also thinking suspension seats... anything to help with the bounce.  I think I remember your seats but I could be lost.  I'll swing by there.

For reference I have a Ford kingpin D60 with reverse cut for the front and a 14B for the rear.  I think I'll probably gear the 14b first just to warm up.  it's easier except for the crazy hard crush sleeve on the pinion. 

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

October 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ
I know that Mark Adkins specializes in Vortech swaps. Here is a link to his website http://www.adkins4x4.com/ There is also a guy in Bella Vista that will customize your harness and he can reprogram the PCM. I know he does the LS family engines not sure on a Vortech 5.7. I will call my buddy today and let you know.
--

October 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

I spoke with Mark.  He was very helpful.  He did teach me a few things I didn't know and suggested some changes to my plan.  Some I'm definitely making, some I'll have to think about. 

--

WrenchingSeasonBlog

October 4, 2011 at 7:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dwight Ennis
Limited Member

Sent you a pm Flexer

--

October 4, 2011 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ
Hey Phillip, are you still on for tomorrow? I would lime to stop by.
--

October 8, 2011 at 12:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

NWA_WJ at October 8, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Hey Phillip, are you still on for tomorrow? I would lime to stop by.

Yup. We're on. I just got the coffee on.

See you later today.

--

WrenchingSeasonBlog

October 8, 2011 at 7:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Apr 17 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM