Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > New Riggs > My new toy!

arveetek

Okay, so here's the scoop:

Saturday after work, I spot an ad on Craigslist for a '98 TJ Sport with the 4.0L, 5 speed, a/c, and new soft top for only $4350.  There was some sheet metal damage from the hood flopping open and from hitting a deer.  Only problem was it was 3 hours away in Lincoln, MO.  My wife says it would be a fun trip, and we load up the trailer and hit the road at 4 pm. 

The seller (a small used car lot specializing in Jeeps) calls me and says another guy is on the way to look at the TJ as well, and will probably beat me there.  I decide to head there anyway, because he has another one I've had my eye on for a while....I just didn't want to make the trip before now.

2.5 hours into the trip, I find out the 98 TJ is sold, but we're almost there anyway.

We finally get to Lincoln, and there on the lot is this sweet little red '97 TJ, with a Bestop 2 piece hardtop, and 31x10.50 wildcats.  The only downside is the 2.5L under the hood.  Well, I take it for a drive anyway, and I fell in love in the first 1/2 mile!  It's a sweet little ride.  Sure, it's mostly stock, and yes, it's only the 4 cylinder, but it actually runs great!  I drove several 6 cylinder models, and the problem with them was the high gearing (3.07's).  The 4 cylinders have the 4.10's, which I much prefer when off-road.  Plus, this particular little 4 cylinder was much more in line with my budget (I got it for only $4500).  I'm really happy.

I think I'm better off that the '98 sold before I got there....I think this '97 is a much better rig overall than that one would have been.  Plus, the two piece hardtop is pretty nifty (got a bikini top with it as well).

So after loading up the new Jeep and eating a quick bite, we head for home and finally get back around midnight on Saturday.  We drove through a lot of rain, but it was worth it.

I've uploaded some photos into a new gallery for ya'll to see:

Photo Gallery

She's pretty much stock except for the 31's, but I'm planning a 2.5" Rough Country lift kit in the near future...

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

April 21, 2009 at 10:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Nice rig Casey!  I'm looking forward to seeing it at the games Saturday.

April 21, 2009 at 11:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

sweet, who need those extra two cylinders anyway!!!

--

1990 YJ......... almost stock

April 21, 2009 at 11:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

Congrats!  We'll see you, your family and your new Heep on Saturday. =P

--

"Its life or death now. Make your choice.  Who's side are you on?"

April 22, 2009 at 12:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

April Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10