Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Question of the week > Street Legal in AR?

Flexer

I'm buliding a rock buggy.

I have (and have registered and insured) a '99 chebby 2500 as my donor truck.

Anyone have a good understanding of what is considered street legal in AR? ... and what does it take to tag it here? 

Can I transfer the VIN from the Chebby?  (which is my plan)

I'm making some assumptions about lights, horn, ebrake, safety restraints and windshield... but I can see how there might be more...

anyone?  anyone?

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

November 3, 2011 at 9:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

I have a buddy who is a deputy sherrif. Will ask him next time I see him

November 3, 2011 at 9:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ghost Rider

you have to take the title to the chevy and the title to your jeep up at the same time and they will title it as a built vehicle

November 4, 2011 at 7:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

The key here is that there isn't a Jeep under it.  I'm starting from a tube frame.  I don't think the DMV will care... but I don't know what things I have to adhere to in order to have a street legal vehicle. 

I'm pretty sure the things I called out are required... but I'm not sure how to interpret Chapter 27 of the Arkansas code... if you know what I mean. 

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

November 4, 2011 at 12:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

we no longer have inspections so you are good to go, just tag it with the truck vin #.

you will need a windshield of some sort or you will get pulled over, then they will nail you for all the other violations.

you need everything you mentioned previously

November 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mud diver
Limited Member

well i know the last time i tried to build a jeep  the dmv said the only vin number they needed was the one stamped on the frame of the jeep and that is what they would use to title it. but they wouldnt except the vin from the tub of another jeep it had to be off the frame i didnt really understand why thats just what they told me and also said i have to take it to state police headquarters after its built and they approve if its street leagal or not. and also they said it was like 300 somthing dollars to apply for a built title wheather or not thats true i dont know hope this helps.

November 4, 2011 at 1:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

chapter 27 ony refers to ATV's under 800 LBS which are illeagle to operate on public roads other than crossing from one field to another

November 4, 2011 at 1:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

Here's some of the online research I did...more information that is almost (but not quite) helpful:

http://www.dmv.org/ar-arkansas/custom-built-cars.php

...if you fish around at that site you find this  "...

The government of Arkansas has posted the Arkansas Legal Code on their website. There is so much included in the Transportation Title 27 that a search feature is available.

However, unless you are a trained lawyer or exceptionally good at decoding difficult text, you'll probably have trouble with the vehicle code.

..."

Which is what lead me to Chapter 27... but clearly these guys aren't helping. 

Here is the link to the searchable state legal code... which really makes it tough to figure out what to do...

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/arcode/Default.asp

November 4, 2011 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member

i saw that same link and it was all gibberish to me, I would just tag it as the chevy truck, stamp the vin on the chassis to match and youll be good I think

November 4, 2011 at 6:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

I'm with ya SuperD.  That's what I'm planning to do... but if someone is smarter I'm ears.  I like to do right when I can find out what it is ... it's pretty baffling.
I do plan to do the short list I gave earlier.  Those are important in my opinion.  The windshield is going to be the challenge.

November 4, 2011 at 10:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

I found a better reference...this one I think covers areas I was concerned about.

Looks like "if I have a windshield it has to have wipers... go figure!

http://www.liftlaws.com/arkansas_lift_laws.htm

--

WrenchingSeasonBlog

December 26, 2011 at 5:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SuperD
Limited Member
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Black-12-Volt-Electric-Wiper,2999.html Here's a cheap wiper system, got one in my 46 chebby
January 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10