Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > What was done to our rigs 2009-2010

NightStalker
Limited Member

Update on Rusty;

I drove it out to my father-in-law's body shop, about 10 miles away.  I took the dirt roads as Rusty is NOT streatable.  After an hour of dirt roads I finally got there with my new shocks and recovery hooks in hand.

With a little beating and banging on the old CJ, the new shocks and hooks were installed.

Rusty is still a long way from being able to drive on the street, but we're getting closer and closer every week.

June 14, 2009 at 11:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NightStalker
Limited Member

OH, I forgot to mention, I bought a Cobra 25 LTD Classic for Rusty.  I also voided the warranty the day I got it by replacing a few parts to make a power and modulation tweak to it.  Still waiting on a cap and a resister to finish the job, but it should be a "talker" when I get done.

June 14, 2009 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Well, I got my high-lift jack mount installed on my tailgate so I could get it off my rear bumper.  I like the mount but it puts the jack sticking up about a foot above the top of the jeep, and it hits my left tail light if the tailgate swings all the way open, don't think I like that part. :(

--

May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard! And may you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t get you.   - Anonymous

June 15, 2009 at 8:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

daveoffroad
Limited Member

Well, I am heading down to Bluementhol;s drivetrain when I  get off work at about 100 pm.  Have to get the rear drive line (CV JOINT) on the DragonFly fixed after our run to SMORR this last weekend cause NANA done broke her ride.  Should have it back in a day or two....:)

--

David Austin

http://www.c4x4.com/

http://freegift.net/

June 16, 2009 at 7:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Well I didn't like the jack mount that I got for my tailgate because the jack stuck up about a foot over the top of my jeep so I decided to mount it on my spare.  I like this much better but now I have to disasmble the mount to get to my spare and with my track record with front tires I don't know that I'm going to like that either!

June 28, 2009 at 5:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mayonnaise
Limited Member

Jack setup looks good, but hopefully you are done with flats and don't have to remove it. Two things for my rig the last couple of weeks. 1-More u-joints. I should just replace all of them right now and be done with it for a while. 2-Backing out of the babysitters house and pop pop pop, no steering. Grade 5 wasn't strong enough to keep the steering box in place. All the bolts snapped so I upgraded to grade 8. We'll see what happens, I may have to put in more reinforcements.

--

June 28, 2009 at 8:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

Replaced the pitman arm and built a steering box brace....I'm ready to go wheelin'.

--

1990 YJ......... almost stock

June 28, 2009 at 8:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Stan post a pic of the steering box break if you can or email me a pic.  I've been thinking about doing that also.

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

June 28, 2009 at 9:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

daveoffroad
Limited Member

Well into the prep stage.  Replaced the busted driveshaft on Judy.s DragonFly, Went over the BigYeller and tightened bolts and checked fluids.  Dug out all of the Bikini Tops out to try to have some cover.  Will start off loading parts and supplies an  packing the tools.  Its about that time.:)

--

David Austin

June 28, 2009 at 10:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Actually got to drive the Jeep tonight!  It's either been raining or too blazing hot to drive it the last few weeks....it was nice and cool and we drove the Jeep to church this evening.  Very nice ride.

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

June 28, 2009 at 10:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

Trailfrog at 05:11PM on Jun 28, 2009

Well I didn't like the jack mount that I got for my tailgate because the jack stuck up about a foot over the top of my jeep so I decided to mount it on my spare.  I like this much better but now I have to disasmble the mount to get to my spare and with my track record with front tires I don't know that I'm going to like that either!

Put it on the hood and be done with it!  :tongue:

I just finally washed the SMORR mud offf...

yeah, I know...

--

"Its life or death now. Make your choice.  Who's side are you on?"

June 28, 2009 at 11:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hondabogger
Limited Member

I went through my field to see how hard I could spin the tires from 1st to 2nd, it put my head behind the seat... :unsure: I did this knowing that my bearings are out...badly...then I put a new thermostat in it.

--

75 GMC High Sierra, 350, 4 speed manual tranny.

06 Honda Rancher 350cc

June 29, 2009 at 11:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marv
Limited Member

I finally turned a wrench on the Heep last night.. I sent my broken 'spare' t-5 tailshaft out for some welding Saturday and last night pulled the f&r drivelines and the dana 300 out so I'll be ready to swap tails once it's done.  I'm hoping to get a couple of good trips out of this (I've got to shorten the rear driveshaft a little so it won't bottom out and take out another tailshaft.)  I've got an AMC 360 backed by a Torqueflight 727 3-spd auto from a Grand Wagonner that I'm going to sacrifice, and I have a spare TF727 that' I'm going to build a little tougher and put in a reverse manual valve body hopefully over the winter, the V8 swap should be pretty straightforward, as my d300 will bolt directly to the trans.  I am dying to go wheeling, I am just going to fix the t-5 for now, and see if  it will last a couple of trips.  I hope I can do the v-8/auto in time for a Clayton trip this fall.

July 7, 2009 at 9:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

daveoffroad
Limited Member

Well finally after getting back from Disney I got to go to the shop for a couple of hours.  Didn't get to do anything to the rigs I took over there, but only thing that needs doing is I need to replace 1 motor mount on the little red stock YJ that Guy drove one day and my nephew drove the next.  The old mount was pretty much gone to begin with, but need to get the new one in before I start driving in anywhere again.  Also need much cleaning on the rest of them.

Last night I got to do a little work on the "Project Resserection" Wrecked Red YJ that I have been piddling with.  We got the new spring hanger welded into place and the new leaf springs bolted on.  Yep it is sitting on the garage floor looking pretty good now.  We also got a new fuel tank (used) and skid plate installed.  I thought I had enough u-joint bolts to hook up the rear drive shaft, but after digging through my old stuff, could just find 1.  So to the O'reilly's today.

We are getting excited about starting Brad's new build in a few weeks as soon as enought parts arrive so I have to get this one mobile so we can move it into and out of the shop as needed.  We will need both bays when we are doing the tube bending. 

You can follow along and check out the pics as we keep both of the projects moving on C4X4.  We should be starting the story on Brad's in the August Issue although it will be mostly on the parts gathering at that point.  The Project Resurrection beginning is up and going now.

Well, that's about my progress for now.    What you other guys and gals working on...?

--

David Austin

July 9, 2009 at 8:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marv
Limited Member

okay.. did some more tonight.  i won't have my trans tailshaft back until monday or tuesday, but I went ahead and bought a new 3 core radiator that would work with my upcoming 360 swap, and dropped it in.. the old radiator didn't seem to be cooling so great.  That's in and seems to be doing fine. 

I also mounted up a set of rock lights I bought about a  year ago.. had kind of forgotten about them, but decided to go ahead and get 'em mounted.  still need to wire them up.

I also took off my automatic fan controller, in favor of a simple toggle switch.. I didn't like the way the controller worked anyways.  Ran out of crimp connectors for the terminations, but that's the easy part, will knock those out this weekend.

I am so ready to get on a trail!
marv

--
July 9, 2009 at 10:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marv
Limited Member

Randy-  That's what I'm shooting for.. I am hoping I can get everything together by then.  I'm mainly at the mercy of the guy who's doing the welding on my broken tailshaft this w/e.. if he comes through on time, should be good to go!

July 11, 2009 at 6:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

Bo and I started on a regear this w/e.  Going to 4:88's.  After close inspection the mini spool I put in this last winter is already starting to give out, causing quite a few metal shavings in the oil.  Going to go shoping for a locker in the morning.

--

July 12, 2009 at 7:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member
Why not a full spool Stan? Looking for better street manners? What do you have in the front? I can't remember.
--

July 13, 2009 at 9:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

yeah, hoping to drive it more w/ the lower gears.  I have a lockrite in the front, but I have also broke  a lockrite inthe rear, don't want to go back there.

--

July 13, 2009 at 1:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member
So when ya gonna swap in the 4.3 or the.... blown 502? =D
--

July 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday, Apr 20 All Day