Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > What was done to our rigs 2009-2010

collinsbronco
Limited Member

once again, mowed around it!!!

--

2000 XJ Sport, 4 1/2 lift,Dana 30, 8.25 rear, NP231,STANO front bumper, rear bumper in progress, TJ Moab wheels, ZJ V8 steering. In the process of front hoop, tires, fender trimming.

WANTED

**ZJ rear gas tank skid, KJ Liberty rear disc brakes**

July 13, 2009 at 6:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

Now I won't need the 4.3. 

ps  All you guys w/ the six cylinders better watch your backs at the next jeep games!!!!!!  :D

--

1990 YJ......... almost stock

July 13, 2009 at 11:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

stano at 11:37PM on Jul 13, 2009

ps  All you guys w/ the six cylinders better watch your backs at the next jeep games!!!!!!  :D

2.5 power!!  2.5 power!!  2.5 power!!

:D

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

July 14, 2009 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marv
Limited Member

I got the transmission back together, tcase reinstalled, front driveshaft in, rollcage bolted back in, seats bolted back in.

Have to put fluids back in the trans and tcase, and shorted the rear d/s a little, and I'll be ready to hit the trail.

woo hoo!

:cool:

July 14, 2009 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

arveetek at 10:50AM on Jul 14, 2009

stano at 11:37PM on Jul 13, 2009

2.5 power!!  2.5 power!!  2.5 power!!

:D

Casey

Yeah,  Brothers in arms.........we got to stick together....:D

--

July 14, 2009 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member
I ran across a product last night when I was at Auto Zone. I can't remember the name of it, but it's a chemical putty that you can use to seal exhaust leaks. It was cheap, so I decided to pick some up and give it a shot. A while back I had a weld break on my exhuast up where the pipe meets the manifold. I got it welded back up, but could not get a solid weld all the way around it. So the 'ol truck has been kinda loud lately. I put this putty on it yesterday and let it sit over night. I started up the truck this morning and SUCCESS! I got a complete seal and now it runs nice and quiet all the way back to the tail pipe. We'll see if it holds up this weekend at SMORR through some full throttle hill climbs!! =D
--

"Its life or death now. Make your choice.  Who's side are you on?"

July 15, 2009 at 3:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NightStalker
Limited Member

I picked the worst time ever to take apart my carb and put it in the dip tank ...:lol:

July 15, 2009 at 9:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

Well we finished the regear today and got the new locker installed w/ the gears.  Now need to prep small stuff for vacation. 

--

July 19, 2009 at 10:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marv
Limited Member

What have you Done to Your Rig this week doesn't have to mean constructively does it?

I've busted another tailshaft and broke a strap bolt off in my tcase yoke too.. haha

still drove it though!

July 19, 2009 at 11:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marv
Limited Member

Nobody's posted on this one in a while, so I'll bite.

I've got the Jeep tore down for a little winter work.

I'm tossing the 6 cyl/5 speed combo, and they're being replaced with an AMC 360 V8 and a TorqueFlite 727 3 speed auto.  I am also going to ditch the rear leaf springs and 4-link and coil the rear axle (along with a little more wheelbase stretch.

I started off last Sunday unbolting parts to access the motor, and have done a little every day this week.  By Wednesday, the Jeep was down to just frame and axles, and the tub is sitting in my barn.  Friday, I cleaned up the shop, then drove my heart donor 1985 Wagoneer into the shop and proceeded to yank out its engine/tranny/tcase.

Yesterday, I rounded up the tbi fuel injection harness from a Chevy full-size van I have had in storage for a couple of years. 

Tommorrow, I hope to get the 360 cleaned up and seperated from the TF727.   The motor is pretty healthy, so it'll likely just get a couple of fresh gaskets, and some new paint.  The 727 will get cleaned up and painted as well.  I have some KORE Bomb-proof mounts on their way (supposed to arrive Wednesday)  When they come in, I'll fab up a tranny mount, check all the front suspension for clearance, and then set the running gear aside while I clean up and strengthen the frame in a few places.

I don't think the rear 4link will be too tough, it should be a piece of cake compared to setting up the front.  I just need to come up with a few $$ for some rod ends and DOM tubing.

Anyone else got theirs torn down for some winter upgrades?

Marv

November 29, 2009 at 11:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

What was done to my rig this week?  More trail damage.  New dent behind the driver's door and ripped off my rear fender flare.  Yeah, it's a 2008 model, but why buy it if your not going to use it?

--

BONE

2008 JK Wrangler

SkyJacker 4.5" full flex / SkyJacker Adj. Control Arms / Tatton driveshafts / 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials / 15x8 Eagles / Rock Solid Fab front bumper / Smittybilt XRC-8 winch / Hellas / Custom built rear bumper - tire carrier / Aussie Locker

www.project-jk.com

December 1, 2009 at 12:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

daveoffroad
Limited Member

One of them weeks on what should be a simple repair.  Didn't even take any pictures ;(     Started out with a bad noise in the front Rockwell as we were ending up the CORA run at Disney.  This weekend finally got it in the shop and sure enough the driver side bearing was coming a part.  Ordered in both bearings and races.  Removed the passenger side and repacked it.  Notice some water in the diff so I crawled under to drain the flukd.  I found that the drain plug and protective ring on the bottom of the Rockwell axle were fused togather by being dragged over a rock somewhere.  Who would have thought it.  Had to chisel the old ring off and then drill out the plug.  Once I got it drilled out enought I drove a chisel through the plug and finally busted it loose using a 14" cresent wrench.  I was able to save the threads with a little work and locate another plug.  Then had to take a small piece of 1 3/4 inch tubing and grind it down to about 1/2 length.  Then I cleaned the bottom of the diff with carborator cleaner before starting to weld the new protective ring onto the diff.

Now all going well except even though I pushed the drain pan out in front of the Jeep almost!!!! some of the carborator cleaner went into the pan as I sprayed it.  When I just got started welding guess where some of the first sparks landed.......  Yep in the oil drain pan that now had a coating of carborator cleaner in it.   

PPPOOOFFFF!!!!!!!!    I quickly shout at Brad!!!!  I have a problem.......  He thought I should have yelled FIRE!!!!!!  He grabbed the drain pan.  (plastic) and pulled it the rest of the way from under the Jeep and then yeller the plastic is melting.  Now that would have got interesting.  Use your imigination....   By this time I was out from under the Jeep and look up what to do in the SAFETY manuel..........

Not really,  I grabbed a fire extinguisher and zapped the pan.  Problem solved but now we can't breath because of the dust so we open both shop doors and the walk through door and air out the shop.

I did explan to Brad that it was here fault for letting use the welder anyway.....  :)

Next night  plug protector got welded on and yes, I still had to do it.  Tue and Tonight I have stuff at church so I will install the new driver side bearings and fill the diff on Thursday.....

Thats about all I have to say about what I have done to my rig.   BUT HEY!!!!!   I didn't burn it.... :)

--

David Austin

http://www.c4x4.com/

http://freegift.net/

December 2, 2009 at 7:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Dave, sounds like things were going pretty well right up to the POOOFFFF!  I am so glad neither you nor Big Yeller are any the worse for wear.   Fire is a scary thing when it's not intentional!

Appreciate you sharing your knowledge (and adventures).  It is truly a benefit to us newbies.  I may never have Rockwells, but I could very well smear my diff drain plug with a rock or break a shackle.  At least armed with the basics I can get under the rig and see if it's simple or shop worthy.

I did just have a four wheel drive failure on my 3/4 ton chevy truck.  It just would not engage.  I was thinking front diff, transfer case, etc.  Something expensive.  Thankfully a sage 4-wheeling friend commented that I might want to check the cable and actuator on the front axle.

Sure enough, the four wire bundle to the actuator was cleanly snapped in half.  Two hours later (I'm incredibly slow fixing things) the wires were cleaned, butt connected, siliconed, taped, zipped, and I HAD FOUR WHEEL DRIVE! 

Thank God for people who know what they are doing and are willing to share!

Best,

--

December 2, 2009 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Trailfrog at 05:11PM on Jun 28, 2009

Well I didn't like the jack mount that I got for my tailgate because the jack stuck up about a foot over the top of my jeep so I decided to mount it on my spare.  I like this much better but now I have to disasmble the mount to get to my spare and with my track record with front tires I don't know that I'm going to like that either!

One positive on this.  If you need your spare, you probably need your Jack! 

I ordered the Smittybilt 54" "JK" offroad jack.  Quotations marks are mine, because it fits the jeep so well it's like it was made for the JK.

I searched around looking at various mounts and mounting locations, but stumbled on the perfect location.  The jack is 54" tall, and it just so happens that the space behind the rear rollbar mounts on the JK is about 56" wide. 

Voila!  the foot of the jack fits behind one bar, the top extends about an inch past the other.  Currently bungeed, but looking for a way to fab. some 1/2 inch L bolts that will lift the jack off the carpet and provide for quick access.

--

December 2, 2009 at 2:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

I turned a corner w/ the tool box unstrapped and emptied the contents into the floor.  I guess this would be a good time to clean it out for Sat.:dry:

--

December 2, 2009 at 6:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marv
Limited Member

New MORE motor mounts arrived this afternoon.. gonna try to set the 360 and 727 in tommorrow to fab up a new tranny crossmember. Definately not gonna use the one that claimed the life of two t5 trannies.  haha

Why is it that when I have the time to work on my rig, I don't have the money? When I have the money for parts, I don't have the time....  I'm just trying to keep a little momentum going with this one so I can get out there  and wheel again.  One of these days I might get to wheel a whole day without breaking! 

December 2, 2009 at 9:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

Marv at 09:57PM on Dec 02, 2009

New MORE motor mounts arrived this afternoon.. gonna try to set the 360 and 727 in tommorrow to fab up a new tranny crossmember. Definately not gonna use the one that claimed the life of two t5 trannies.  haha

Why is it that when I have the time to work on my rig, I don't have the money? When I have the money for parts, I don't have the time....  I'm just trying to keep a little momentum going with this one so I can get out there  and wheel again.  One of these days I might get to wheel a whole day without breaking! 

MORE motor mounts....how many motors you gonna run?  Or is that short for Marv's Off Road Epuip.?

--

December 2, 2009 at 10:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marv
Limited Member

I wouldn't expect you guys with 4 bangers to understand.  You don't need more than 2 motor mounts..  you could probaly get away with some bailing wire and chewing gum..

December 3, 2009 at 8:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

Trailfrog at 09:27AM on Dec 01, 2009

BONE at 12:04AM on Dec 01, 2009

What was done to my rig this week?  More trail damage.  New dent behind the driver's door and ripped off my rear fender flare.  Yeah, it's a 2008 model, but why buy it if your not going to use it?

Was this on Buckhorn?

Yes.  We came up on a big hole out in the woods, looked like somebody was buildng a swimming pool.  Everybody else went around it, so I decided I would give it a try.  I made it out okay, but going in was a little tight.  It was about as wide as my Jeep, so I didn't have much room for error.  There was a tree root sticking out from the side of the hole, just high enough to catch my drivers side rear flare.  Not biggie.  It snapped back on and all is good.  It's still creased pretty bad, but I think I can fix it.  This was on a different trail in that same area.  I think it is scheduled to be closed soon.  It was a good trail, but it came to a dead end after a few miles.  So, we just had to turn around and go back out the way we came in.  We can run it on the 19th if everybody wants to.  Might be good to run it before they close it.

--

BONE

2008 JK Wrangler

SkyJacker 4.5" full flex / SkyJacker Adj. Control Arms / Tatton driveshafts / 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials / 15x8 Eagles / Rock Solid Fab front bumper / Smittybilt XRC-8 winch / Hellas / Custom built rear bumper - tire carrier / Aussie Locker

www.project-jk.com

December 4, 2009 at 1:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aaron Womack
Limited Member

BONE at 01:51AM on Dec 04, 2009

Trailfrog at 09:27AM on Dec 01, 2009

BONE at 12:04AM on Dec 01, 2009

Was this on Buckhorn?

Yes.  We came up on a big hole out in the woods, looked like somebody was buildng a swimming pool.  Everybody else went around it, so I decided I would give it a try.  I made it out okay, but going in was a little tight.  It was about as wide as my Jeep, so I didn't have much room for error.  There was a tree root sticking out from the side of the hole, just high enough to catch my drivers side rear flare.  Not biggie.  It snapped back on and all is good.  It's still creased pretty bad, but I think I can fix it.  This was on a different trail in that same area.  I think it is scheduled to be closed soon.  It was a good trail, but it came to a dead end after a few miles.  So, we just had to turn around and go back out the way we came in.  We can run it on the 19th if everybody wants to.  Might be good to run it before they close it.

Good thing you had a buddy with a chainsaw! LOL.

--

Aaron Womack 

1978 Jeep Cherokee, 360, TH400, QT (soon to be PT), Dana 44HD/Dana 60, 4.88's, Lincoln Locked Rear, Spartan Locker front, SOA/SF lift, 36" OZ's, recentered H1's, liberal fender trimming, 2x4" tubing rockers

2006 Dodge 2500 5.7 Hemi, 6" lift, 37" Nitto Mud Grapplers

December 6, 2009 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Apr 17 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM