Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Other > my xj quit running

nickxj94
Limited Member

my xj quit running yesterday up on the buckhorn trail, ive checked the usual things fuses,relays,replaced crank sensor,its getting spark it will run off a can of starting fluid, i replaced the fuel pump on the trail,but its not getting any power to the pump anyone have any clue what im missing?? think it may be ecm? mine does not have the resistor on the fender well either.thanks

--

94 xj lifted 3 inches rough country short arms, siting on 31s,2000 xj stock

January 30, 2012 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ
Have you checked the fuel pump relay? A lot of times there is an identical relay in the power distribution box. I swap relays to rule out the relay.
--

2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 3" Iron Rock Offroad lift, 17" JK Moab wheels, 32" BFG M/T KM's, Detroit TrueTrac LSD front, Spartan locker rear

January 30, 2012 at 2:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

nickxj94
Limited Member

yes i did swap them fuel pumps is clicking, 

--

January 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

My oldest daughter drove a '97 TJ for a long time. 

It had a fuel pump go bad...and of all the amazing things in this world the OBD2 diagnostic actually got the diagnosis right... low fuel pressure.

When I replaced it it took a couple of tries to get it just right. 

I'm not saying it was your issue but mine was a case of disassembly and reassembly and then it worked great.  a.k.a. I screwed up the first install so that it "mostly" worked. 

Before you go crazy I'd do a re-install of that bad boy making sure everything is juuuust riiiight. 

One other random related thought: You can test to see if the system has pressure fairly easily... the fuel rail on top of the engine has a little valve.. which operates like a tire valve stem.. push in the middle...if it's under pressure fuel will puke out. 

Oh... I'm assuming this is the '94 and it's a 4.0L engine... else I donno nuffin' and ignore me.

$0.02

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

January 30, 2012 at 9:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ
Any luck with the XJ? I found a schematic online and looks like there is another relay involved. It's the automatic shutdown relay and it has a 20 amp fuse in the power distribution center.
--

2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 3" Iron Rock Offroad lift, 17" JK Moab wheels, 32" BFG M/T KM's, Detroit TrueTrac LSD front, Spartan locker rear

January 31, 2012 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nickxj94
Limited Member

yes guys i got it going last night about 1:30 am lol,, it was the fuel tank i guess i hit a big rock on the buckhorn trail and it slid the tank back a few inches i moved it back to its location tighten the tank straps again real tight and it fired right up. thanks for yalls help, im glad it was something simple...p.s. im getting me some tank skids lol!!

--

January 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Sunday, Apr 20 All Day
Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5