Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Tire Carrier Recommendations

Ozark Red Rubi
Limited Member

I have a JK 2-door and am running a Wurx Front and Rear Bumper with a tire carrier. The bumpers were installed in August and the bearing is already shot. I have had problems with the latch and long story short I'm ready to find a solution that works better than Wurx:) 

PI like the bumpers and am thinking about a swing away carrier that is body mounted, I've looked at the Or-fab online. I'm running 33s but am looking to be able to move up to 35s eventually. I'd like to be able to carry Gerry cans - any other ideas or recommendations? Is anyone else running the Or-fab carrier? Recommendations appreciated!

--

God made dirt and dirt don't hurt.

February 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

I was looking at the Or-Fab carrier as well because I liked the way the jerry cans mount behind the tire but by the time I added the weight of my 17" rim, 35" tire, two full jerry cans, and a highlift jack I was over their recommended capacity.  Granted the jerry cans would not be full all the time but I was afraid to load it down that much on the trail.

February 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Bring it to me.   I bet I could reuse your main bumper and just build you a whole new tire carrier with the parts I use.  I can put a 1,000 lb or 2,000 lb rated double bearing spindle set up on it and the latches I use are rated for 1,000 lbs.   My tire carriers do not rattle either.  Best part is it can be completely customized for your needs. 

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

February 3, 2012 at 4:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ozark Red Rubi
Limited Member

Larry - I wondered about that too - but I was thinking that I could make the space useful for carring some paddling gear in the summer since there's not much room inside.

vbtj - Where are you located? I'm over in Eureka Springs. Are you open on weekends or just M-F?

--

God made dirt and dirt don't hurt.

February 3, 2012 at 1:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

I'm in Van Buren and I fab on the side from my normal job although my fabbing is pretty much another full-time job anymore.   I'm off every other weekend and I get 2 days off a week during the week. 

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

February 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

April Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10