Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Other > Possibly building a house this year

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

It looks like we are going to build a house this year on our land. Something small and simple and of course, affordable.

Stan are you a licensed contractor? And are you looking for work?  I am going to do as much as I can myself to save money, but the bank requires a contractor to "take responsibility" for 100% completion of the house. 

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with "HardiePanel" siding?  I'm trying to find out how much it costs compared to T-111 or vinyl.

Another question for you guys in the business - Can a 1200 sq. ft. home be built for around $65/foot?

Thanks!

--

"Its life or death now. Make your choice.  Who's side are you on?"

May 8, 2009 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

no, I'n not state liscensed.  You only have to do that to build two or more houses per year.  Hardie panel is great siding, I have it on my house, hold paint really good.  Vinyl is probally cheaper, but you get what you pay for.  Just house for 65....just depends on the amout of labor and the finish out, the fixtures and stuff is what adds up.  Is the water and sewer included in that 65 or what?  I would say you could probally do it if you are willing to sweat!!

--

1990 YJ......... almost stock

May 8, 2009 at 7:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

collinsbronco
Limited Member

Let me know before you buy any electrical products. I work at Wholesale Electric Supply and can save you some money there.

May 8, 2009 at 10:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

thanks guys!

May 9, 2009 at 2:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain_Morgan
Limited Member
Hey, I know a guy who can make you a good deal on all your lumber, siding, windows, doors, insulation, sheetrock, trim, roofing.........just about everything other than electrical, plumbing, and labor. That place is T.H. ROGERS LUMBER CO. in Siloam Springs, and quess what...........I know the manager. He told me he would do what he could to, help you out. Do you have a house plan? If you do, make me a copy or something, and I'll figure it for you. P.S. Look at Certainteed Cement siding, as apposed to Hardi, I can sell it for around $5.95 a piece. It has the same warranty, with a deaper grain pattern. To me it look better and it's cheaper. Call me if you need any information. 1-479-427-0617.
--

1981 CJ-7, 44's, Locked F/R, 4.56, Stretched on Beadlocked 37"s.

May 11, 2009 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

that's awesome Brian, thanks!

Got another question... any idea how I can find out if things like electric rough in can be done by me or a family member and then finshed up / inspected and signed off by a licensed electrician?

May 11, 2009 at 10:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Chris, is your property in Centerton city limits? If so the city building inspector can answer your question, if not I think you have to go to Benton County.

May 11, 2009 at 12:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Also, are you going through ARVEST for your construction loan?  I did when I built mine and they let me act as the general contractor, not saying that I would recommend that because you have to be onsite some almost every day to make sure you are getting what you ask for but ARVEST didn't require me to use a licensed general contractor.  Also I kept a journal of my experience building mine if you want to read it sometime.  I also have some contracts I used with subs and other document that might come in handy depending on how much you end up doing. 

May 11, 2009 at 12:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

It is actually a Bentonville address and I assume outside Bentonville city limits.  So yeah, probably Benton County.

I am going through Arvest and have been told that a contractor is required to "guaranty" that construction gets 100% finished.  I was told that they did allow you to be your own in the past (like you) but because they got burned a few times and the current economic situation, it is now a requirement. (Even for me, an employee)

Did they require you to present a "construction budget/estimate"?  That is something else I have to have from a contractor before I get the loan.

And yeah, I'll take any info you can give me.  Thanks!!

May 11, 2009 at 2:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

Oh Brian, I don't have a house plan picked out yet, but I'll let ya know when I do.  Are you able look at a plan and give me a price break down on everything you mentioned that you have?

May 11, 2009 at 3:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain_Morgan
Limited Member

Yes I can do that for you.  I usually tell people it cost about $20.00 a square foot for everything that comes from a lumber yard (all the stuff I metioned before), but sometimes it's more like $15-$18.  When you get a house plan give it to me for a while and I'll work you up a material list.  Good luck building a house.  Building a house was/is the toughest thing my wife and I have ever done.  By the time it was over we were ready to kill each other.  I feel for you, but at the same time it's pretty exciting.  Do you already have a framer?

--

1981 CJ-7, 44's, Locked F/R, 4.56, Stretched on Beadlocked 37"s.

May 11, 2009 at 5:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

Sweet thanks man.

Yeah, I've heard that from more than one person. (about the confilict with the better half.)  (How about you Randy? Did you experience that?  Are there murder plots in your journal?  LOL.)

If the guy I have in mind for a contractor is willing to work with me, he will probably do the slab, framing, siding, roofing, etc. But if you have a recommendation, I'll let you know when/if I'm looking for a framer.

May 11, 2009 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

I got lucky because Dixie and I have a hard time agreeing on a paint color much less all the decisions it takes to build a house but for some reason she left everything to me!  The only things she asked for was a front door that didn't have much glass, a make-up vanity in the master bath, and a trash can in the cabinet so it couldn't be seen!  Other than that she helped pick out the paint, and one light fixture!  I had a ball, but it is overwhelming the number of decisions that have to be made, and of course each one has a price tag on it :) 

May 11, 2009 at 6:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

CW4x4Him at 03:41PM on May 11, 2009

Oh Brian, I don't have a house plan picked out yet, but I'll let ya know when I do.  Are you able look at a plan and give me a price break down on everything you mentioned that you have?

Are you looking at house plan books?  Let me give you a bit of advice.  DO NOT BUY A PLAN FROM A BOOK OR THE INTERNET!!!  You will get ripped off.  If you find a plan you like, I can draw it up for you.  You will spend way too much money if you order online or out of a book, and you won't be able to make any modifications.  I do house plans and house design as a side business from my home.  I can normally save people at least half on their plans.  If you find something you like, or if you already have an idea in your head, I can help you out.  I will cut you a deal on it.  You can call me on my cell at 479-220-9759. 

Branson

May 12, 2009 at 2:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

That's awesome man. Thanks so much!  Yes, we have been looking at them on the internet and planned on buying one. I didn't think I had any other option.  I'll give you a call for sure.

Is there any issue with having the plan meet codes or does a plan you draw up have to be "certified" by an architect or something?

May 12, 2009 at 8:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

collinsbronco
Limited Member

Stan uses a good electrician...

May 12, 2009 at 6:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

CW4x4Him at 08:57AM on May 12, 2009

That's awesome man. Thanks so much!  Yes, we have been looking at them on the internet and planned on buying one. I didn't think I had any other option.  I'll give you a call for sure.

Is there any issue with having the plan meet codes or does a plan you draw up have to be "certified" by an architect or something?

Sorry for the delay.  It's been a while since I was able to get on here to read the forum.  No, there aren't any requirements for the plans.  There may be some requirements if you build it in town.  By this, I mean that I may need to provide you with front, rear, and side elevations, foundation plan, electrical plan, etc.  If you are out of town, you really just need whatever the bank tells you.  That's usually just a floor plan.  that saves a lot of time and money on the plans.  As for meeting code, it's up to the person building the house to meet code.  The plans are just something for them to use as a schematic.  Like I said before, just give me a call.  479-220-9759.

May 18, 2009 at 7:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

Cool, thanks again man.  I was supposed to meet with my builder last week, but it didn't happen. Maybe this week.  As soon as I talk things over with him, I will have a better idea of what kind of house we'll build, and then I'll give you call.

May 18, 2009 at 7:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

My wife and I haven't built a house together, but we did completely gut a fire damaged house and totally remodel it...while we were engaged!  Looking back now, I don't know how we did it or held together, but we didn't have too many "discussions", if you know what I mean.  That was really a good test of our relationship.  We were remodeling right up to after the wedding.  In fact, I turned the water on for the first time right after we got back from our honeymoon!  It was a few months before I had the a/c working too.

Best of luck!

Casey

May 18, 2009 at 11:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

Update:  I am finally supposed to meet with my builder this week.  Once I do, I imagine I'll be getting with you, Branson, to get our plan drawn up.  Right now, we are looking at a plan that is 1200 sq. ft. and very simple.  Depending on what I find out once some numbers start coming together, we may try to go a little bigger, but probably nothing over 1350 sq. ft.

Brian, once I get a plan, I'll get with you on materials.  Question though... my site is a long ways from Siloam... will delivery be a problem?

--

"Its life or death now. Make your choice.  Who's side are you on?"

June 2, 2009 at 11:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday, Apr 20 All Day