Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Other > Possibly building a house this year

Captain_Morgan
Limited Member

Where is it?  I've delivered to West Fork, Little Flock, BellaVista, just to name a few.  Is it farther than any of these?  Now we might not be able to bring you 10 boards in the next 10 minutes, but we do pretty good about getting loads out.  Just let me know if I can help you.

--

1981 CJ-7, 44's, Locked F/R, 4.56, Stretched on Beadlocked 37"s.

June 2, 2009 at 12:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

It's Bentonville/Centerton area....around Hiwasee.  Here is the closest address:  12714 C.P. Rakes Rd., Bentonville.  My land is right next to this address.

I would say it's not as far from you as Bella Vista.

--

"Its life or death now. Make your choice.  Who's side are you on?"

June 2, 2009 at 12:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

Chris, I've been offline or a while now.  Just got back from working in Hawaii.  Any movement on the house yet?  Just give me a call when your ready to discuss your plans.  479-220-9759.

Branson

June 8, 2009 at 10:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

Well, my first choice of builder can't take the job.  Got a call in to another guy.  Hopefully will find out something soon.

June 8, 2009 at 10:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

BONE at 10:13PM on Jun 08, 2009

Chris, I've been offline or a while now.  Just got back from working in Hawaii.  Any movement on the house yet?  Just give me a call when your ready to discuss your plans.  479-220-9759.

Branson

WORKING IN HAWAII !!!  What a drag!  I know you must have hated that assignment!  Did the family get to go with ya?  Glad you made it back safely, and good to have you back on the forum!

June 9, 2009 at 11:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

Hey, no hi-jacking!! :ohmy:

just kidding...  I am finally going to meet with the builder tomorrow evening.  Wish me luck.

June 9, 2009 at 2:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

Trailfrog at 11:39AM on Jun 09, 2009

BONE at 10:13PM on Jun 08, 2009

Branson

WORKING IN HAWAII !!!  What a drag!  I know you must have hated that assignment!  Did the family get to go with ya?  Glad you made it back safely, and good to have you back on the forum!

No, the family didn't get to go.  We tried to get a plane ticket for my wife, but it didn't work out.  As usual when dealing with Wal-Mart / Sam's Club, it was last minute notice.  Every tried to buy plane tickets to Hawaii with 3 days notice?  Needless to say, the price was OUTRAGEOUS!!!  It was a cool trip, my first time to be there.  I would like to go back sometime and actually get a chance to see more sites.  My job site was just down the road from Pearl Harbor.  That is definitely something that everybody should see if they every get the chance.  I got the bug for a 4 door JK.  When I landed in Hawaii, the rental car office only had a 4 door JK or a Nissan Sentra.  Can you guess which one I picked?

--

BONE

2008 JK Wrangler

SkyJacker 4.5" full flex / SkyJacker Adj. Control Arms / Tatton driveshafts / 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials / 15x8 Eagles / Rock Solid Fab front bumper / Smittybilt XRC-8 winch / Hellas / Custom built rear bumper - tire carrier / Aussie Locker

www.project-jk.com

June 11, 2009 at 2:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

I would love to visit Hawaii/Pearl Harbor...

The meeting with the builder went really good.  He said give him a couple of weeks to get some numbers together from subs and what not.

While he's doing that, I'll be trying to find out if I have to pay for a perk test out of pocket or with my construction loan.  That has to be the very first thing done b/c if the soil doesn't pass for the septic system, the whole project is a no go.

I don't expect it to be a problem though.  The 2 tracts of land on either side of me have been tested and they are fine.

Branson,  if all goes as planned, I'll be giving you a call pretty soon. :)

--

June 11, 2009 at 9:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

Found out I have to pay for the perc test out of pocket, but I can pay myself back when I get the construction loan.  I'll be making a call early next week to go ahead and get it done.  Will also be seeing my builder again on Monday to show him some minor changes made to the floor plan to simplify the roof line.

So, if the perc test comes out all right, and the builder's initial estimate comes in within budget, I'll be taking the "Possibly" off the title of this thread.  :D

--

June 12, 2009 at 9:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Chris, I know ya'll are excited, when you get the house done can we still wheel in your front yard :D Good luck with your house and have fun with it!

June 12, 2009 at 9:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

CW4x4Him at 09:06AM on Jun 11, 2009

I would love to visit Hawaii/Pearl Harbor...

The meeting with the builder went really good.  He said give him a couple of weeks to get some numbers together from subs and what not.

While he's doing that, I'll be trying to find out if I have to pay for a perk test out of pocket or with my construction loan.  That has to be the very first thing done b/c if the soil doesn't pass for the septic system, the whole project is a no go.

I don't expect it to be a problem though.  The 2 tracts of land on either side of me have been tested and they are fine.

Branson,  if all goes as planned, I'll be giving you a call pretty soon. :)

I'm ready when you are.  Just let me know!

--

BONE

2008 JK Wrangler

SkyJacker 4.5" full flex / SkyJacker Adj. Control Arms / Tatton driveshafts / 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials / 15x8 Eagles / Rock Solid Fab front bumper / Smittybilt XRC-8 winch / Hellas / Custom built rear bumper - tire carrier / Aussie Locker

www.project-jk.com

June 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member
Went out to my site and did some weed-eating last night. I'm meeting the builder out there this evening. We are going to decide on the postion of the house and stake the corners. Once that is done, I'll make the call to get the perc test done. Still don't have any numbers from the builder yet. So "possibly" stays on the title for now.
--

June 23, 2009 at 10:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member
Foot print is laid out. Roughly. It may have to move some depending on how the septic and lateral lines have to be positioned. Builder said he should have me an estimate in about a week. (July 1st) Next on the list for me is to get with Benton Co. to get my address established.
--

June 24, 2009 at 10:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member
I'm attempting to upload a picture of our house plan. I can't see if it worked while I'm at work. Let me know if you guys can see it. Image Hosting
June 24, 2009 at 10:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

POWERD BY CHRIST
Limited Member

One small suggestion that might save you money.  You may want to ask the buildier if they have some plans.  Most builders have a ton of plans they will let you use and it cuts out the cost of having them drawn up. Also, if the builder has used the plan at other locations, they are familiar with the build and can usually build for less than an unfamiliar plan.  Not always the case but I've had several family members build themselves and it worked for them.

June 24, 2009 at 10:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

I like the layout.  Is there a wall between the dining area and the great room?  Are you doing a garage?

June 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member
Thanks for the input Chris. I will definately ask the builder if he's got anything. There will be 3 arched openings between the dining room / living room / foyer. This floor plan did have a 2 car garage originally, but I cut it out and changed the outside walls some to simplify the overall shape. I do plan on having a detached shop in the future hopefully. I will probably just have a shed or something to temporarily store my tool box, tools, etc.
--

June 24, 2009 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain_Morgan
Limited Member

Just a thought..........BUILD A SHOP NOW!  I know it costs more, but my wife and I lived in our 24'x36' shop while we were building our house, and I think it actually saved us money in the long run.  Our construction load was "open" for somewhere around 18 months before we closed.  By saving money on rent for that amount of time, made it alot easier for us to justify the cost of the shop.  I'm not sure but I think the shop actually paid for itself in the long run.  I now it sounds dumb, but I think it did.  I put a 6x12 bathroom, washer/dryer, toaster oven, micro-wave, and refrigerator in it, and that was it.  (Oh yeah I bought a window heater/air condition for like $500.00.  Kind of like a BIG studio apartment.:D   It wasn't the Hilton, but it worked and we were close to the house so we could "piddle" (work) as late as we wanted to, and not have to drive home, take showers, eat, then go to bed.  Anyways just thought I would throw that out there for you to ponder.

--

1981 CJ-7, 44's, Locked F/R, 4.56, Stretched on Beadlocked 37"s.

June 24, 2009 at 2:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member
ya know, a couple years back, we had thought about doing it like that. I would definitely LIKE to have one built now, but I just don't think I can afford it. And, my builder seems to think that I could be in this house by Nov. 30th and get the $8000 tax credit. By the way, did you do a metal shop or stick build it? Which way is cheaper, NOT including the slab? (my dad and brother in law used to finish concrete for a living and some good friends of the family are in the business now, so I will get a slab pretty cheap. Any idea how much it would cost to build your 24x36 shop today?
--

June 24, 2009 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

Call Stillwell Builidng Company in Stillwell, OK.  I don't have their number, but you can get it by calling information.   I had them build one for me a few years back.  I don't remember the price, but they were by far the most affordable, and they work fast.  I did my own slab too and it saved a bunch of money. 
As for using plans from your builder, I wouldn't settle for something you don't really want just to save a few bucks.  Like I said before, I can help you out with your plans.  I can't see the plan you uploaded, but you said before it would be a fairly small house.  I'm sure we can do it for under $200.

--

BONE

2008 JK Wrangler

www.project-jk.com

July 4, 2009 at 3:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday, Apr 20 All Day