Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Other > Possibly building a house this year

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

Well, the builder's estimate was WAY over budget. The problem basically came down to his subs. Apparently, he has subs with big, good payingjobs right now and they just bid my little place too high. Builder said he tried to get them to flex a little bit, but they didn't. (this is really suprising to me and I'm not entirely sure he's being truthfull)

He said he really thought that I could build my place for under the number I gave him. (Otherwise, he wouldn't have spent the time getting the bids gathered up for me.) But in the end, he said, "I'd like to help you, but don't think I'm the guy for the job. I still think you can build the house within the budget you gave me. You just need to findthe rightbuilder/subs that can do it."

So, the good news ishe gave me the list of all the numbers he gathered. I sat down with my cousin (who built his house without a contractor, back when you could still do that) and we cut almost $20,000 out of estimate. Some of that is just from cutting bids we know are too high (dirt work and concrete for example). And some of it is from cutting labor on stuff I can do myself. For example, the bid for interior and exterior paint came in at $6,200! No way I'm paying that for paint!

So now, I'm looking for a builder that will let me hire all or most of my own subs and let me do some work myself. Basically looking for a guy that can sign the bank documents and do a little consulting when I have questions (and will do this for me for a fair price).My cousin who has built already, is on board with me to help with hiring and scheduling subs, etc. There is a guy at my old church that I'm going to talk to who is a semi-retired builder. Not sure if he's still liscensed though.

If anyone can recommend a builder that will possibly work with me on this stuff, please let me know. Other comments from you guys that have experience with this are welcome too.

--

"Its life or death now. Make your choice.  Who's side are you on?"

July 6, 2009 at 9:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

Since it's not in town, can't you act as your own contractor?

--

BONE

2008 JK Wrangler

SkyJacker 4.5" full flex / SkyJacker Adj. Control Arms / Tatton driveshafts / 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials / 15x8 Eagles / Rock Solid Fab front bumper / Smittybilt XRC-8 winch / Hellas / Custom built rear bumper - tire carrier / Aussie Locker

www.project-jk.com

July 6, 2009 at 3:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member
nope... bank is requiring one... unfortunately.
July 6, 2009 at 4:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member
talked to the lender again here at the bank about requiring a licensed contractor. he said his hands are pretty much tied. But, there are other lenders here at the bank that have the authority to give me a construction loan without a contractor. I should know more tomorrow. Hey Branson, when I'm ready to have you draw up the plans and specs, how much time do you need to get it done?
--

"Its life or death now. Make your choice.  Who's side are you on?"

July 7, 2009 at 12:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Chris, one of the things I didn't realize when I decided to be my own contractor is how much time it takes to get subs lined up, check out references, check-up on the work they are doing for you, to make sure they are making the progress they need to make to stay on schedule.  I was at my house twice a day most days and sometimes more than that.  I used up about three weeks in vacation over the nine months it took me to build mine. Of course I did have a problem with my foundation contractor that caused a two month delay in mine.  Just be ready for alot of decisions, and the need to followup on everything if you do it yourself.

July 7, 2009 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member
yeah, I have no doubt what you're saying is absolutely true. But I have the benefit of some of my very helpful family. My cousin Jeremy who built his own place is on board to help me with hiring and scheduleing subs. Same thing with my brother in law Jason, who is a mason. And same thing with my wifes cousin Chad who was a framer for several years. I already know who I'm hiring for the foundation, septic system, concrete, dirt work and framing/roofing. That only leaves a few major subs to hire. (plumber, electrician, dry wall crew, HVAC, etc.) I plan on doing what I can myself with some help from friends and family. (Paint, trim, tile, etc.) Like I said, I have no doubt it will be a major undertaking, but it's worth it and I'm ready.
July 7, 2009 at 3:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday, Apr 20 All Day