Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Non 4x4 Adventure > kayaking

muddyredneck
Limited Member

im looking for general info on kayaking in our area? i have never been but would like to try it.

--

servants of the most high ...not rockstars

March 24, 2012 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

collinsbronco
Limited Member

arkansascanoeclub.com

I floated the Frog Bayou today down near the town of Rudy. There is a 8 mile stretch of lots of class 2-2+ rapids. It was at a 4.5 foot level which is about perfect. Kayaks, helmets, spray skirts and wetsuits were used today!!

Also close is the Mulberry River, Big Piney, Buffalo, Kings River and War Eagle. All very scenic and each has something different to offer.

Pack-Rat, Lewis and Clark, and the Ozark Mountain Trading Company (ozarkmtc.com) are all good places to get gear.

--

2000 XJ Sport, 4 1/2 lift,Dana 30, 8.25 rear, NP231,STANO front bumper, rear bumper in progress, TJ Moab wheels, ZJ V8 steering. In the process of front hoop, tires, fender trimming.

WANTED

**ZJ rear gas tank skid, KJ Liberty rear disc brakes**

March 24, 2012 at 11:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

I've been on a couple of weekend trips now, and I love it!

The first trip, a buddy and I floated the Current River over by Van Buren, Missouri.  This river is a National Scenic Riverway, so it's all protected shoreline for most of the river, so no loud partying going on until you get into Van Buren.  There are several springs on this trip, and we ended up finishing at Big Spring State Park.  We rented two fishing style kayaks, and used our own vehicles to put-in and take-out.

The next trip we floated the North Fork River near West Plains, Missouri.  This time we rented two sit-on-top kayaks, and hired someone to put-in and take-out.  Much more relaxing and less driving for us.

I want to try the Buffalo next, but so far haven't had a chance.  I understand it's best floated in the Spring time.  We usually plan our kayaking trips around Labor Day.

I think I like the sit-on-top kayaks the best.

I prefer kayaks to canoes, since you don't have to rely on anyone else to help pilot the boat.  They are more stable and less likely to tip as well.  However, you can still capsize one.  Just ask my buddy Matt! :D

Casey

March 25, 2012 at 10:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

collinsbronco
Limited Member

Here is a clip of the Frog Bayou from Saturday morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0cuyXVz56I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The Buffalo is probably the most floated river in Arkansas. Get there early or on a week day to avoid large crowds.

--

2000 XJ Sport, 4 1/2 lift,Dana 30, 8.25 rear, NP231,STANO front bumper, rear bumper in progress, TJ Moab wheels, ZJ V8 steering. In the process of front hoop, tires, fender trimming.

WANTED

March 26, 2012 at 8:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ozark Red Rubi
Limited Member

I float the Kings - lots of options there. Rock house to Trigger Gap is pretty consistently good until late summer. The Buffalo is amazing. War Eagle Creek is suppoed to be a great float. The White from the dam to Houseman is floatable all year long - not many rapids but a great place to take a noob. I like paddling on the lakes as well. Tablerock, Beaver, Leatherwood.

If you're over near Eureka, let me know, I have a couple of Kayaks and am always up for a float or paddle.

--

God made dirt and dirt don't hurt.

March 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ozark Red Rubi
Limited Member

As far as boat styles I like the open concept Natives - open like a canoe - sit down in the center like a kayak. If not that I prefer something with a cockpit - seems more secure to me.

--

God made dirt and dirt don't hurt.

March 26, 2012 at 8:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

muddyredneck
Limited Member

Cool vid thanks I would love to float the buffalo I want to try the Illinois here by my house too

--

March 26, 2012 at 9:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

collinsbronco
Limited Member

Illinois River

Hwy 16 to Chamber Springs Rd

10.9 miles, 6 hours. 3.2 feet gradient per mile

Min float level 2.75

Optimum level 3-4.5

Dangerous more than 5 feet

USGS Gauge ID Illinois River usgs.gov

--

WANTED

March 27, 2012 at 12:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

muddyredneck
Limited Member

Well I floated from fisher ford to hyw 59 loved it can't wait to go again  seem like everything is low already though 

--

May 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday, Apr 20 All Day