Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > I bought a Detroit Truetrac LSD

NWA_WJ
I was browsing my craigspro app on my phone today and ran across a guy selling a few items for an XJ. Among those items was a Detroit Truetrac LSD for a Dana 30. These retail for about $400 so when I saw he was asking $150 I decided that my search for a traction device for my front axle was over. I have considered many different options for front axle traction, weighed the pros & cons of each, and had decided to put it off for a while. A lot of folks don't like a limited slip, but for me I have only wheeled my rig twice in the past 10-12 months and I drive mine everyday. I figure an LSD is better than an open diff. I have heard a lot of good things about the truetrac, I guess I will find out first hand how they do offroad.
--

2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 3" Iron Rock Offroad lift, 17" JK Moab wheels, 32" BFG M/T KM's, Detroit TrueTrac LSD front, Spartan locker rear

April 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

collinsbronco
Limited Member

That is awesome. You will definetly feel and love the difference when offroad.

--

2000 XJ Sport, 4 1/2 lift,Dana 30, 8.25 rear, NP231,STANO front bumper, rear bumper in progress, TJ Moab wheels, ZJ V8 steering. In the process of front hoop, tires, fender trimming.

WANTED

**ZJ rear gas tank skid, KJ Liberty rear disc brakes**

April 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hemi
Limited Member

Years ago I had a CJ 7 with LSD front and rear and it wheeled very well. Good move

April 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ
I know that a limited slip isn't going to perform offroad like a locker does. I plan on eventually doing a selectable locker and I really like the Ox locker with air activation. However that is beyond my budget right now. I had considered a lock right and I had talked to a club member who has ran one for a couple of years and really liked it, but I ruled it out as an option. My transfercase has 2wd, 4 part time, 4 full time, and 4 low. You can use the full time option on dry pavement without any popping or binding. The V8 in rain, snow, ice, etc can be a little squirrelly so I use the full time option in bad weather. I have read on a lot of forums about the unpredictability of an auto locker in 4wd and decided against one. What I like about the truetrac is that it is a clutch less limited slip.
--

2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 3" Iron Rock Offroad lift, 17" JK Moab wheels, 32" BFG M/T KM's, Detroit TrueTrac LSD front, Spartan locker rear

April 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

April Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10