Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > 4x4 Events > Dirt Every Day... An epic adventure....

Flexer

I'm debating a pretty crazy idea.  If you read Peterson's 4wheel and off road mag one of the things they do from time to time is a Dirt Every Day adventure. 

Basically you find a heep online somewhere...it may run...it may not...You get yourself there, get the heep running, then every day out on the road you have to spend part of the day on a trail.  Somewhere.  Somehow.  Try to get your rolling bolts "home".  No interstates.  Lots of biscuits and gravy and open road.... no A/C... maybe heat depending on the rig.

I have a buddy that wants to run from CA to AR that way... or maybe we'll meet somewhere else and just go to AR...so basically I'm shopping for a flatty (CJ2A or CJ2B) that will very likely run if someone pays a little attention...somewhere out in CA that I can get on the uber cheap that will quite possibly run long enough to get back to AR.  Or not. Or at least pay back in spades what it costs in blood sweat and tears in good times, and some time off the grid ... did I mention the rig has to be cheap?

There are some silly rules like... " you can only buy tools from pawn shops, garage sales, etc" ... so it has that extra something that really gets my interest.

...and did I mention road camping and only shower in camps on the cheap (like stopping in a KOA, and just paying for a shower)...you better have an open top heep!  I'm not sure if washing clothes is allowed...

If I can set it up... anyone else want to do the same?  I'm guessing the cost isn't all that cheap, but I can assure you the memories will take a LONG time to fade.... good or bad...

Anyone game?

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

April 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Sounds like fun!

To clarify: sounds like fun to read about!  ;)  Not something I would want to do myself.  I much prefer my leather seats, a/c, cruise control, radio, etc.  I guess I'm just a softy.  My Jeep sits more and more in preference to driving my Tahoe.

But I would love to read about your adventure!!

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

April 24, 2012 at 10:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Sounds like a blast!  Can you take a buddy to do your wrenching?  How long would you need to plan to be on "vacation"?  Do you think you could do it for under $2000?

April 24, 2012 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

My current plan is to meet my buddy out there.   I have a friend from CA (met him for Moab) who's trying to talk me into doing it.  That's the destination of the trip.  The origin is "wherever you find the heep to fix"... 

Budget:  yeah... budget.  It all depends....

I'm looking at a $500 Jeep CJ2A that doesn't run but it did when it was parked in the 70s in a barn.  It has _some_ rust but honestly looks clean from the pictures.  I suspect the gas is goo and tank is rusted and the belts/hoses were eaten by mice.

My fingers crossed thought is that the farmer that owns it will let me camp in his barn (if I can stand the previously mentioned mice).  Even if not we're talking $50/night kind of rates for a hotel.... with sheets from the same era as the jeep.....but really good people.

I'm guessing between the batteries to weld with, the welding rod, hoses, belts, wiring, gas tank(s), grease, oil, filters, aluminum foil and what-nots I'll be in for another $1000.  

misc tools from a pawn shop maybe another $500.

Then it's a question of gas ($700-$1,000? to CA?) and plane tickets ($1000)?

So I'm guessing if you had more time to find cheaper/slower transportation you might could take a bus or something to cut costs... or if you actually drove it straight home that would be cheaper...but I don't think I'm into this for the investment.

I will say that running CJ2A jeeps go for $2k+ pretty well.  If I can jerry-rig it to run for $1500 I'm even on the hardware and it's all in the other stuff.

Any ideas on doing that cheaper?  I figure I'll leave the jeep with my buddy for a little while... maybe meet him somewhere to wheel to pick it up next Summer.

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

April 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

Derp derp.... bought a flatty near Nashville.... Guess I'm going DED in the next few weeks!

--

WrenchingSeasonBlog

May 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

The game is afoot!  It starts Sat.  

--

WrenchingSeasonBlog

May 7, 2012 at 8:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

Flexer at May 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Derp derp.... bought a flatty near Nashville.... Guess I'm going DED in the next few weeks!

Just started posting the 6 blog entries about the DED tour.

Follow the link in my signature to the Buggy Build Blog.

8)

--

WrenchingSeasonBlog

June 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Flexer at June 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Flexer at May 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Just started posting the 6 blog entries about the DED tour.

Follow the link in my signature to the Buggy Build Blog.

8)

Philip, Great blog!  I always look forward to reading your blog.  It's interesting, informative, and entertaining.

June 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

muddyredneck
Limited Member

great blog cant wait for more

--

servants of the most high ...not rockstars

June 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

Thanks.  It is a serious time-sponge...but fun.

--

WrenchingSeasonBlog

June 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Sunday, Apr 20 All Day
Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5