Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Winch advice

NWA_WJ

I am looking into have a winch bumper made for my Grand Cherokee so now I am looking for a winch. I won't use it a lot so I don't need a $1000 plus winch.  I am trying to budget around $500 or so for a winch. What have you guys ran?  What is better, cable or sythetic rope?  I would appreciate any advice.  Thanks, Brant

--

2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 3" Iron Rock Offroad lift, 17" JK Moab wheels, 32" BFG M/T KM's, Detroit TrueTrac LSD front, Spartan locker rear

June 19, 2012 at 1:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

I was in the same boat a couple years ago.....just looking for something to get me by until I could afford the winch I wanted.  I bought the Smittybilt XRC-8 8,000 lb winch for $300.  I figured I would use it a few times and would end up replacing it.  Let me tell you, I have used this thing a ton, or should I say abused this thing and it still works great.  For the money, I don't think you can beat it.  If I had it to do over again, I would probably go with the synthetic line just to save some weight, but the winch has worked flawlessly.

--

BONE

2008 JK Wrangler

SkyJacker 4.5" full flex / SkyJacker Adj. Control Arms / Tatton driveshafts / 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials / 15x8 Eagles / Rock Solid Fab front bumper / Smittybilt XRC-8 winch / Hellas / Custom built rear bumper - tire carrier / Aussie Locker

www.project-jk.com

June 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ
Smittybilt has a comp series 8k winch, best I can tell it is just the XRC8 with sytnthetic rope. It is $450 compared to $300 for the XRC8, but the comp series weighs in 30lbs lighter than the XRC8. I'm thinking between the club discount and free shipping the XRC8 Comp-series is the way to go.
--

2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 3" Iron Rock Offroad lift, 17" JK Moab wheels, 32" BFG M/T KM's, Detroit TrueTrac LSD front, Spartan locker rear

June 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ
Speaking discounts, how does the discount work with 4wd.com? I haven't ever bought anything through them.
--

June 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Hi Brant!  The only downside of using our club discount is having to order by phone.  Not a big deal, but I've been trying to get them to give us a club code we could just enter in the coupon box to make it faster.

I agree with the Bone Meister, Smittybilt XRC 8 never failed me.  I got mine on a free shipping and 20% discount weekend for 240.00:)   If you get synthetic you'll need to kick in for a winch cover, as UV breaks the synthetic down over time.   Doesnt' seem to affect wire much:)

--

June 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

I just received my latest Quadratec catalog, and they have their own branded winches now.  They have a 9K winch for under $300...they are really trying to compete hard with Smittybuilt.

http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/quadratec_exclusive/quadratec_winch/

Don't know about their quality, but it's worth looking into.

Casey

June 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Forward

i have the Engo 10k with syn. rope. it was $429. it came with a wired and wireless remote. i like syn. rope because it is lighter and is less likely to hurt you or others if it fails. if i remember correctly my winch with the syn rope is about 63lbs. vs 89lbs with steel cable.

June 26, 2012 at 3:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Apr 17 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM