Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Axle Trusses

vbtj
Limited Member

Some axle trusses I just built for the axles going under Stan's new buggy. The top plates are 3/8" and all the rest are 1/4". Every piece on these trusses keys into at least one other piece making these incredibly strong and bullet proof. He will never have to worry about bending an axle. These were all designed and cut here at Rock Solid Fabworks.

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

July 1, 2012 at 10:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NWA_WJ
Wow!! That is really nice work Justin!!
--

2001 WJ, 4.7L V8, 3" Iron Rock Offroad lift, 17" JK Moab wheels, 32" BFG M/T KM's, Detroit TrueTrac LSD front, Spartan locker rear

July 1, 2012 at 11:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

collinsbronco
Limited Member

Awesome work!!! Stan? Buggy?

--

2000 XJ Sport, 4 1/2 lift,Dana 30, 8.25 rear, NP231,STANO front bumper, rear bumper in progress, TJ Moab wheels, ZJ V8 steering. In the process of front hoop, tires, fender trimming.

WANTED

**ZJ rear gas tank skid, KJ Liberty rear disc brakes**

July 2, 2012 at 8:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

collinsbronco at July 2, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Awesome work!!! Stan? Buggy?

Yup for Stan's new buggy

--

July 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

It didn't look like the truss was close at the punkin'.  Is the intention to NOT weld the truss to the punkin'?  Just curious. 

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

July 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Flexer at July 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM

It didn't look like the truss was close at the punkin'.  Is the intention to NOT weld the truss to the punkin'?  Just curious. 

Yes, this design does not need to be welded to the pumpkin. Also by leaving all that space open some the truss can be rotated exactly where it needs to be, especially on the rear. Trust me once these are welded in they ain't going any where.
--

July 5, 2012 at 5:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

I don't doubt that it's strong.  I was thinking of weight and height reduction without compromising on strength... I'm also thinking if you mounted links to the top part it would cause some other odd stresses. 

*shrug* they look plenty beefy to me.  I've seen several designs lately that didn't ahve the punkin welded.  Was curious why someone wants to do that. In your case I'm guessing you'd like to have the same pattern regardless of the alignment of the truss. That way you can generically sell a truss without caring for what alignment your customer wants...?

If you weld to the punkin you have to have a specific alignment and cope the steel to the surface of the punkin at that angle.  Any change in the angle would force a different profile of the truss.  For you that would mean a lot of manual work to attach it.  Is that the main motivation?

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

July 5, 2012 at 6:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Tieing a truss like this to the pumpkin is pointless.  Look at the pics the top pieces tie into the risers via key way slots which get fully welded.  The risers are 2" apart on centers and then the gussets key to the risers then weld to the top plate.   These trusses will NOT BEND or FAIL,   Money back guarantee if I weld it in!   The reason why they sit up off the top of the diff about 1.5" is to get proper link mount seperation, so you can run the lower links at the center line of the axle tube so that nothing hangs below the axle tube to hang up.   Trust me we didn't just throw something together.  These were designed and cut to take years of abuse and once again if I weld them in at my shop I'll guarantee them for life.

--

July 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

April Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10