Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Moab Expedition 2013 - Planning > Time to start planning for EJS 2013

We Be Rockin'

Well, we did it.  Left Thursday evening the 21st, returned late last week, with me getting in last at 3 pm Sat.  This will not be an in depth trip report, just some basic numbers, etc, for those of you thinking about going next year or regretting you didn't go this year...miles of towing-2236.  Gallons of diesel for my 2008 Chevy c3500- 215. Avg mpg, 10.0. Actual drive time one way, 18:15.   I saved some money by truck camping in a rest stop going and coming.  Not bad, felt plenty safe and rest stops had nice facilities.  Only slept a couple hours on the way back and total travel time was 22.5 hours.

We took the Southern route, through OKC, Amarillo, Albuquerque NM, Gallup, NM, then North on 491 through Cortez CO, then 191 to Moab.   I stayed in an inexpensive hotel that had a roof, heat and air to an extent,  frig, microwave, bathroom, interesting odor, cost about $650 for 7 days.  I don't plan on staying there again.  Will be researching another venue for next year.

I only ate out at a sit down breakfast 1 morning and no lunches or dinners.  We ate as a group of various sizes at the condo most nights and shared costs.   

Trails run by one or more rigs included Hells Revenge, Golden Spike, Prichett Canyon, Area BFE, Behind The Rocks.   all good Choices.  Add these to Metal Masher, Steel Bender, and Fins and Things from last year.  

On our trips (we rock the toughest trails), we had two flops, 1 broken drive shaft, 1 broken steering column, 1 broken rear gear set, 1 tacoed sway bar end link, 1 bent tie rod, and a bunch of reverse wheelies (two door jeeps only).   We had a blast.

We'll get started posting pics, videos, and details of the trails and trip soon.

This is a big trip and a great time.  Let's start planning now!

April 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Had a question about whether the trail carnage was all just CC4x4 or the entire 65 jeeps we ran with.   Definitely not all us!!!   Among the 5 of us, we only accounted for 1 flop, 1 broken gearset, 1 tacoed sway bar link, 1 bent tie rod,   Oh, and I forgot to mention an additional bent soft top, so of a total of 8 actual occurences of damage, our 5 rigs only accounted for 5 occurences.  I would have to say that as JK wheelers go, our group is pretty aggressive.   If the trail guide said difficult trail is to the left and nearly impossible is to the right, we all went right without hesitation.   Ken took all the buggy routes (and conquered them) and Nathan pretty much followed him unless it was apparent no JK could make the climb.  Our guys did a great job spotting us through some non-recommended routes.

So I guess I'm saying that while we did experience some minor carnage, we worked at it pretty hard.

April 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CUOFFRD
And I'll add that we had several great saves. I know I had at least one close call.
April 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'
Yes you did, come to think of it i might have gotten a little tippy once or twice. I miss it already.
April 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CUOFFRD
Some videos have been uploaded to YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/user/RockRiverOffroad - Larry's http://www.youtube.com/user/megalifted - Mine
April 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CUOFFRD

I uploaded some videos of Golden Spike tonight to my YouTube channel. 

April 4, 2013 at 10:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

The closest I came to carnage personally was the drive out...but that's a story for a campfire sometime soon.

Great times.  Great fellowship.  If you can't find God out on the Slickrock at Moab with all that open country I'm not sure where you can. 

Th Blue Pig came away clean... but I didn't push it either.  I still have some tweeks to go before I will be ready to really push it.

Several folks joined the "I drove the Blue Pig" club.... that was awesome. 

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

April 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

I just got some selected Moab pics up. It is a breath-takikng place... hiking, wheeling, cycling, rafting.... all good stuff.

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

April 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Apr 17 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM