Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Other > Rear Diff question?????

Forward

I have an 05 TJ Rubicon with a Dana 44 rear. Here is my situation:

I added upper and lower adjustable control arms and removed the 1.5in drop bracket from my Transfer case skid plate. I added a Tom Woods CV drive shaft ( I told them I was removing the drop when I ordered it so I should be the correct size) and set the pinion to point at the TF case per the instructions. When I drive everything works as it should, as in no vibration, no binding and seems smooth. BUT, the diff seems very hot after a short drive, as in I can barely hold my hand on it due to the heat. It seems I read somewhere that if you get the pinion up to high it will not sling the oil correctly and cause baring failure. Has anyone else heard or experienced this? What would be too much angle on the pinion? I have about 12 degrees now and before I removed the drop bracket it was 9 degrees. Not a big difference. I can post some pictures when it gets daylight if needed. The fluid is full and I don’t have any leaks. I am running Royal Purple full syn. that is about 6 months old. Any advice would be helpful.

--
December 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

That much heat in that little time leads me to believe something is going wrong... Is the fill hole on the cover?  If so then it would definitely lead to a lower oil level in the case...but that seems a bit extreme for 3 degrees change.

I suggest running it until it's warm, then crack the case open and see what parts are hot.  Be sure to capture the pricy purple stuff :roll:. If the ring gear is dry and warm your problem is fluid level... the cure being find a way to overfill the diff (park on a steep incline and fill it up).

If something else is dry and warm then the remedy might be something else.

I'm out until after The Savior's birthday... be sure and enjoy His celebration!

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

December 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Forward

Thanks I will try that. I was told maybe try to go back to the old school oil as it dissipates the heat better. I will see what happens.

--
December 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday, Apr 20 All Day